By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you follow game streaming/let's play channels?

So, I've noticed game streaming and let's plays have really boomed in popularity in the last five years or so, and nowadays you have many, many channels with hundreds of thousands of subscribers, or even millions. That makes for quite a lot of people watching.

The question is, as the thread title says, do you follow  game streaming or let's play channels? Whether on YouTube or Twitch, or any other website.

If so, what is their appeal to you? Do you prefer to watch games instead of playing them? Is it because you want to see the outcome of eSports matches? Is it the charisma of the gamers? These are the possibilities that first come to my mind, but I want to hear from you guys, since I'm not a lot into it.

Around the Network

I like Speedrunners. I follow a bunch of them on Twitch, Mostly the ones that speedrun games from my childhood.

And no, I don't watch let's plays of games that I never played before, because that would be spoilers.

I only watch one channel that does livestreams and let's plays. I never really saw the appeal in watching other people play games. But after finishing my Moon-run on Super Mario Odyssey last April i decided to look up some videos on how other people had done certain things. Then i remembered PwerlvlAmy had a Youtube-channel so i looked her up and she did indeed have some Odyssey-videos. I ended up watching some more of her content and decided to subscribe.

Last edited by melbye - on 08 March 2019

I watch more game streaming than I watch regular TV, and definitely watch more games being played than I actually play myself. I usually watch Fortnite, or Apex Legends, or a game that I am interested in but not committed to buying. I find it has saved me a lot of money in letting me see the game before I take the plunge, and it has also caused me to buy games I never would've thought about after seeing them streamed.

No, I don't see the appeal at all. The only gameplays that I occassionally watch are the ones that are funny and heavily edited to only show the best moments (like videogamedunkey).

Around the Network

No. I rather play the game on my own. What I donis look for reaction on certain scenes.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Some. They're decent enough entertainment when eating, and watching streams can occassionally be fun. Streams are extremely time-consumign though, so even though I might enjoy watching even more of them, I just can't afford the time.

I have never watched a let's play in my life. I have no interest at all in watching other people play video games. The only times I watch anything close to that is when I'm stuck in a game, or when I want to see game play of a game I'm considering buying. But, I turn to tutorial videos or video reviews for those things.

Yes for me. I have a Twitch account, please don't hack it okay? Many of you are way smarter than me.

I enjoy streaming, ahem sorry, that came across really wrong. What I meant to say was, I enjoy watching live-streams, and playbacks.

;)

I'm a bit late to the party and have just recently begun watching Twitch regularly, but I've watched let's plays on Youtube for much longer. I mostly watch games I don't have any intention to play for myself (e.g. Hearts of Iron IV) but that I find enjoyment in when someone else is doing the playing part. I also watch a lot of Super Mario Maker levels and Mario romhacks that I just don't have the skills to play myself. As of late I've also started watching more and more retro games.

Then you have people who have interesting/weird/random personalities that are entertaining to watch for those reasons. There are certain Twitchers I just listen to because of all the funny or crazy stuff they say.