By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm 3 Collosi in and hating Shadow of the Colossus - should I persist?

Just because the game is praised almost universally doesn't mean you have to like it. Just stop playing it if you don't like it, or just stick it out a little longer to see if it gets better.

Around the Network

I played SOTC first in 2013 on PS2 (!). I had no PS3, so I skipped the HD version. The longer I played the game, the more I liked it (although it's a bit repetitive).

Last year I began to play the Remaster on PS4, but the impact of the game wasn't that great as my first playthrough on PS2. The better graphics surely support the overall gaming experience, but if you know how to beat the colossi it's not the same experience like the first time. That's the fate of all puzzle based games, I think.

Ueda's games are always about friendship and escaping from an abandoned place. He's a master of subconscious storytelling. Have you recognized the change of Wanda's skin after killing more colossi? Have you felt the love Wanda has for the girl? He is willing to give up his life for her. And don't forget your faithful horse Agro, which has fear of the colossi but still supports you unconditional. Why do you accept to kill unique and innocent creatures? Don't you feel sorry for them?

Technically it's a simple game with a simple gameplay. But you need to try to read between the lines and play it with your heart instead of your head if you'd like to have chance to understand Ueda's messages. You should have many unanswered questions right now. It's a japanese game, not a western Hollywood movie. The high ratings are because of the idea of climbing your enemies, killing innocent creatures and questioning your approach, creating an atmosphere of a vast forbidden land and mostly because of the storytelling without words together with a brilliant soundtrack. 80 % of the (obvious) story are at the end of the game.

siebensus4 said:
I played SOTC first in 2013 on PS2 (!). I had no PS3, so I skipped the HD version. The longer I played the game, the more I liked it (although it's a bit repetitive).

Last year I began to play the Remaster on PS4, but the impact of the game wasn't that great as my first playthrough on PS2. The better graphics surely support the overall gaming experience, but if you know how to beat the colossi it's not the same experience like the first time. That's the fate of all puzzle based games, I think.

Ueda's games are always about friendship and escaping from an abandoned place. He's a master of subconscious storytelling. Have you recognized the change of Wanda's skin after killing more colossi? Have you felt the love Wanda has for the girl? He is willing to give up his life for her. And don't forget your faithful horse Agro, which has fear of the colossi but still supports you unconditional. Why do you accept to kill unique and innocent creatures? Don't you feel sorry for them?

Technically it's a simple game with a simple gameplay. But you need to try to read between the lines and play it with your heart instead of your head if you'd like to have chance to understand Ueda's messages. You should have many unanswered questions right now. It's a japanese game, not a western Hollywood movie. The high ratings are because of the idea of climbing your enemies, killing innocent creatures and questioning your approach, creating an atmosphere of a vast forbidden land and mostly because of the storytelling without words together with a brilliant soundtrack. 80 % of the (obvious) story are at the end of the game.

That's a wonderful post!

Topic: I remember being in the same boat. When I played it back in the days I also asked myself what's so special about it, but I began to like it the more I played it. Now that you already decidied to finish the remaining five collosi, I think you will enjoy the rest of the game.

Last update. Just finished!

I have to say, some of the last bunch of Colossi were exhilarating, whereas the final one had me wanting to throw my controller through the TV. It's like they decided to build a boss to emphasise all of the most annoying aspects of the character movement (endless thrashing / imprecise jumping & climbing / misbehaving camera).

And that kind of sums the game up for me - it does some things really well and when it's firing on all cylinders it's a transcendent experience - the art, the music, the majesty of the colossi. But it also tests the patience pretty regularly...

Anyway, glad I played it, thanks to those who suggested ploughing through.

And I guess the main character is reborn & redeemed at the end, regardless of the horns...?

Biggerboat1 said:
Last update. Just finished!

I have to say, some of the last bunch of Colossi were exhilarating, whereas the final one had me wanting to throw my controller through the TV. It's like they decided to build a boss to emphasise all of the most annoying aspects of the character movement (endless thrashing / imprecise jumping & climbing / misbehaving camera).

And that kind of sums the game up for me - it does some things really well and when it's firing on all cylinders it's a transcendent experience - the art, the music, the majesty of the colossi. But it also tests the patience pretty regularly...

Anyway, glad I played it, thanks to those who suggested ploughing through.

And I guess the main character is reborn & redeemed at the end, regardless of the horns...?

And that is how you get ICO on PS2/PS3 ;)

Around the Network

I'll be honest. I loved Ico...and I loved Shadow of Collosus. But After Breath of the Wild, it would be difficult to go back to SotC. There just isn't enough to keep you moving forward. BotW owes a lot to SotC, but sometimes the student becomes the master.

It's one of my favorite games, and yet I can admit it's for everyone.

That said, the gripes with the controls seem to be an issue for many modern gamers. I loved Spider-Man as well, but the point of the gameplay is completely different.

In SotC, the controls shouldn't feel like your flying through the air doing whatever you want like a superhero. I actually enjoyed the immersion allowed by how tactile it feels. When the colossi move, Wander and you feel like you have to really hold on (him the monster, you the buttons on the control). Also, getting through a desolate world is another part of the immersion, but if you had controls like in Uncharted, what would there be to do? Just press forward? You would bounce off everything because of the assist and there's nothing else to do but travel and find/beat bosses (aside from the small side things like killing lizards), so making you work for it actually makes sense to me. Finally, the controls with Agro (the horse) seem to be hard, but they make sense. It's like steering a horse. You don't ride horses like you do motorcycles. Most games aim for ease, but this game wants you to be in its world. The controls, as polarizing as they are to some, seem completely intentional no matter if the game was made back 2005 or now.

I won't try to convince you to finish the game, because it just may not be your style. But if you do, embrace the design and don't try to mold it into other games that make things simple, easy, and gamey. Not saying those games suck. Like I said, I loved Spider-Man. But this is not that type of game.

The ending has a very big payoff, but if you can't overlook the game design. It might not be worth it to you.

*Edit just realized you beat it. Good on you for sticking it out. I typically just give up on games that I know aren't up my ally, because I don't have the time as a full-time working adult. But the types of games I like are super atmospheric and/or offer challenge. Bloodborne is another favorite.

Last edited by danasider - on 05 March 2019

super_etecoon said:
I'll be honest. I loved Ico...and I loved Shadow of Collosus. But After Breath of the Wild, it would be difficult to go back to SotC. There just isn't enough to keep you moving forward. BotW owes a lot to SotC, but sometimes the student becomes the master.

The two games are nothing alike!

I spend an hour exploring this area, there is no reason to go there, nothing to find, no distractions, just peace.

Exploring the map is reward on its own. I don't need a fight every few minutes or a trinket.

I recently started to play Forza Horizon 4. Great game, yet after a few days I was burned out on it already. Icons everywhere. Do one race, 3 more pop up. At some point I figured I wasn't having fun anymore, the game had turned into a giant to do list.

BotW luckily kept the icon nonsense hidden, However there I couldn't move normally anymore either after the assassins kept popping up and the 'regular' enemies had all leveled up the maximum. It's nice to have a game where you can simply wander around without getting interrupted all the time. The student did not become the master, the student missed the point. That is, if the games were anything alike. What keeps me moving forward is my curiosity to see what's beyond the next hill, around the next corner, in that cave, what's hidden in the forest etc.

I would recommend God of War, Horizon, UC4+dlc, Hellblade, Bloodborne to start with. The last guardian is good too, but I never finished colossus because the horseriding just made me seasick.

SvennoJ said:
super_etecoon said:

The two games are nothing alike!

I spend an hour exploring this area, there is no reason to go there, nothing to find, no distractions, just peace.

Exploring the map is reward on its own. I don't need a fight every few minutes or a trinket.

I recently started to play Forza Horizon 4. Great game, yet after a few days I was burned out on it already. Icons everywhere. Do one race, 3 more pop up. At some point I figured I wasn't having fun anymore, the game had turned into a giant to do list.

BotW luckily kept the icon nonsense hidden, However there I couldn't move normally anymore either after the assassins kept popping up and the 'regular' enemies had all leveled up the maximum. It's nice to have a game where you can simply wander around without getting interrupted all the time. The student did not become the master, the student missed the point. That is, if the games were anything alike. What keeps me moving forward is my curiosity to see what's beyond the next hill, around the next corner, in that cave, what's hidden in the forest etc.

Man that remaster was so impressive, if only all could be this good. I agree with you, I am the kinda of person who loves to immerse myself into the game. So minimalist games like SotC or Bloodborne are my favorites.