By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looking for a gaming laptop

Ganoncrotch said:
SvennoJ said:

I've been putting off getting a new laptop for a couple years now. It's always the same game, waiting for a better deal lol. My current gpu is a 740m while I'm using an external keyboard as the thing is falling apart. It's time!

Yeah I know, it's not as big a difference as it used to be. I see it's between 1 to 16% slower according to that vs a desktop card. That benchmark shows FH4 running at 79 fps on a 1060 on ultra settings at 1080p. -16% is still 66 fps. It should be pretty stable 1080p60 on ultra, good enough. Compared to a 740m that overheats after 10 minutes, anything will look good!

Where are you getting the 16% difference in the cards? If you compare the MaxQ mobile version to a desktop 1060 the difference is far bigger than that.

Check out the discrepancies with the low end of the mobile GPU as well, thermal throttling on a laptop with poor cooling or dirty clogged up vents (sorry but from the sounds of your dying laptop with broken keys it doesn't sound like you are super careful with cleaning and maintaining your hardware) it really isn't going to be performing anywhere close to a 1060 desktop card after a bit of wear and tear has those fans clogged with hair and such!

From that link Farsala posted

The performance of the mobile GTX 1060 is a few percent below a reference GTX 1060 desktop card. In our benchmark so far (no max-Q version) the mobile GTX 1060 was somewhere between -1 and -16% slower than a desktop variant.

I'm assuming it's not the MQ version
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-predator-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-8750h-1tb-hdd-256gb-ssd-16gb-ram-gtx-1060-win-10/12648525.aspx?

Yes I have to be more careful with dirt and such. It's sitting on a metal table which helps a bit with cooling. It is a slim design though, Toshiba Satellite, bad design for gaming. The thing is also over 5 years old now and gets used every day, most of the day. 

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Farsala said:

For the opposite end of the budget, I got this for $800 after much feedback from people on this forum.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/18534-dell-inspiron-7577-reviewed/

I would say any laptop better than mine for a decent price is a good laptop to get.

Funny, I got the one with the 7700HQ and 16Gb of RAM (and 1050Ti instead of 1060 MAX-Q because those couldn't be found on the Philippines at the time) over one year ago.

Just hope your SSD is better configured than what I have, constantly locking up the laptop when it's reshuffling and at 100% worktime (which happens when you take it from the power, as the SSD stays in mobile mode while the rest of the Laptop doesn't) for several seconds to several minutes.

Also, think about upgrading your RAM soon, 8GiB won't cut it much longer.

My SSD is still very quick, even unplugged, but it has only been a year.

RAM is certainly next after I start my new job.

SvennoJ said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Where are you getting the 16% difference in the cards? If you compare the MaxQ mobile version to a desktop 1060 the difference is far bigger than that.

Check out the discrepancies with the low end of the mobile GPU as well, thermal throttling on a laptop with poor cooling or dirty clogged up vents (sorry but from the sounds of your dying laptop with broken keys it doesn't sound like you are super careful with cleaning and maintaining your hardware) it really isn't going to be performing anywhere close to a 1060 desktop card after a bit of wear and tear has those fans clogged with hair and such!

From that link Farsala posted

The performance of the mobile GTX 1060 is a few percent below a reference GTX 1060 desktop card. In our benchmark so far (no max-Q version) the mobile GTX 1060 was somewhere between -1 and -16% slower than a desktop variant.

I'm assuming it's not the MQ version
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-predator-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-8750h-1tb-hdd-256gb-ssd-16gb-ram-gtx-1060-win-10/12648525.aspx?

Yes I have to be more careful with dirt and such. It's sitting on a metal table which helps a bit with cooling. It is a slim design though, Toshiba Satellite, bad design for gaming. The thing is also over 5 years old now and gets used every day, most of the day. 

I would read reviews and compare it to other gaming laptops within its class.

Either way the GTX 1060m is a solid upgrade right now.

Edit: For example the CPU you would get compared to mine.

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i7_8750h-835-vs-intel_core_i5_7300hq-696

Since it released after I bought my computer I assume it is better by a bit, but you are paying $300+ more than me for processor, 1TB HDD, 60Hz to 144Hz, and 8gb more RAM. Up to you if it is worth it.

Last edited by Farsala - on 24 February 2019

Ganoncrotch said:
SvennoJ said:

I've been putting off getting a new laptop for a couple years now. It's always the same game, waiting for a better deal lol. My current gpu is a 740m while I'm using an external keyboard as the thing is falling apart. It's time!

Yeah I know, it's not as big a difference as it used to be. I see it's between 1 to 16% slower according to that vs a desktop card. That benchmark shows FH4 running at 79 fps on a 1060 on ultra settings at 1080p. -16% is still 66 fps. It should be pretty stable 1080p60 on ultra, good enough. Compared to a 740m that overheats after 10 minutes, anything will look good!

There are 2 different mobile versions, a normal mobile version and the Max-Q version with lower clock speeds to achieve lower TDP. For instance the mobile 1060 has a TDP of 80W while it's MAx-Q version has a TDP of 60W.

The normal mobile version is indeed only around 15% slower than the desktop version while the MAX-Q version is an additional 15-20% slower to reach about 30-35% slower than the desktop version.

Farsala said:

I would read reviews and compare it to other gaming laptops within its class.

Either way the GTX 1060m is a solid upgrade right now.

Edit: For example the CPU you would get compared to mine.

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i7_8750h-835-vs-intel_core_i5_7300hq-696

Since it released after I bought my computer I assume it is better by a bit, but you are paying $300+ more than me for processor, 1TB HDD, 60Hz to 144Hz, and 8gb more RAM. Up to you if it is worth it.

That's always the question, will it last another 5 years or am I better of replacing more often with cheaper laptops. Ever since I had a laptop that had continuous memory problems I've been on the safe side with memory, hence the 16 gb in the one I use currently. My current cpu is a I7-4700MQ 2.4 ghz (4 cores) I assume that's the max as it's averaging 1 ghz atm. One thing I need to see in store first is how the keyboard feels.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Cobretti2 said:
I got one yesterday after some feedback from people on this forum.

Went with the MSI GE75 8SF (8sf could be the aus model)
https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Notebooks/Gaming-Notebooks/75557-GE75-Raider-8SF-068AU

For the opposite end of the budget, I got this for $800 after much feedback from people on this forum.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/18534-dell-inspiron-7577-reviewed/

I would say any laptop better than mine for a decent price is a good laptop to get.

That has a Max Q 1060, so it's not as powerful as standard 1060. I'd avoid a Max Q 1060.  Edit: Not sure what the conversation rate for from US Dollars is. This seems like a solid deal.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154900

Last edited by Darc Requiem - on 24 February 2019

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

There are 2 different mobile versions, a normal mobile version and the Max-Q version with lower clock speeds to achieve lower TDP. For instance the mobile 1060 has a TDP of 80W while it's MAx-Q version has a TDP of 60W.

The normal mobile version is indeed only around 15% slower than the desktop version while the MAX-Q version is an additional 15-20% slower to reach about 30-35% slower than the desktop version.

userbench has the "normal" mobile version of it at 20% less effective speed and again, look at some of those benches on the mobile side, erratically ducking down into tragically lower side, they might be called 1060s but those are going to be closer to 1050/ti in the home levels of performance when heat becomes an issue inside the smaller cases of the laptop. I'll always stick to my view that the term Gaming Laptop is an oxymoron. If needs must then go for it, but if it's going to be so high end a card that you need to have it plugged in all the time anyways you'd be better off just going down the PC route and ignoring laptops in this bracket. unless you travel a lot and then a laptop with this sort of a price tag is not going to survive too much moving around unless a lot of care is taken.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:

userbench has the "normal" mobile version of it at 20% less effective speed and again, look at some of those benches on the mobile side, erratically ducking down into tragically lower side, they might be called 1060s but those are going to be closer to 1050/ti in the home levels of performance when heat becomes an issue inside the smaller cases of the laptop. I'll always stick to my view that the term Gaming Laptop is an oxymoron. If needs must then go for it, but if it's going to be so high end a card that you need to have it plugged in all the time anyways you'd be better off just going down the PC route and ignoring laptops in this bracket. unless you travel a lot and then a laptop with this sort of a price tag is not going to survive too much moving around unless a lot of care is taken.

Yes, cooling is always a problem. Space is the primary reason to go with a (15.6") laptop. Where I normally use it, I simply don't have any space for a desktop and monitor. Plus it's still easier to move a laptop to the tv than a desktop. Games are not the primary concern though. PS4 pro handles that. It's just a couple of pc and xbox games I would like to try out that my current laptop has no chance of running. It's a rather high premium on a laptop, still better than buying a separate small form factor gaming pc for under the tv. I need the laptop anyway.

SvennoJ said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Yes, cooling is always a problem. Space is the primary reason to go with a (15.6") laptop. Where I normally use it, I simply don't have any space for a desktop and monitor. Plus it's still easier to move a laptop to the tv than a desktop. Games are not the primary concern though. PS4 pro handles that. It's just a couple of pc and xbox games I would like to try out that my current laptop has no chance of running. It's a rather high premium on a laptop, still better than buying a separate small form factor gaming pc for under the tv. I need the laptop anyway.

Yeah of course in your scenario you need to have a laptop so you're spending a pretty nice amount to get a decent machine, I respect that but just keep your expectations in check when it comes to any version of a graphics card which is in a laptop, they might share the same number as their desktop brother, but that's normally the only number which is the same, the cost number will be far greater and the performance number will be far lower, laptop tax as it was called earlier in the thread :D

My own laptop has a fairly old i7 , 3630qm I think was the brand but it's coupled with a tragic gpu but then my main use of it is just for work an emulation but that's mostly handled by the cpu not gpu so it does a fair job at what I want it for, again in terms of gaming at my "TV" I have my Switch/PS4 and PC all happily tucked into where my projector is so there is no console near the actual screen area, just my amp and speakers on either side of a white wall.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Yeah, like I said above, Max-Q 15-20% slower than the mobile 1060, and mobile 1060 15-20% slower than desktop 1060.

Gaming Laptops have their uses, for me for instance, I move around a lot and can't take my tower with me everywhere, so I needed a laptop (also for work since I mostly work from home but have to bring it sometimes to the company). SvennoJ posted another reason why to get a gaming laptop instead of a desktop.

But I agree that outside of such specific instances with mobility and space in mind, getting a desktop would be a better choice, especially on the long run since you can upgrade those and don't have to buy a new one every time.