By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unpopular Gaming Opinions

I want Retro Studios to do more Donkey Kong!
Oh, and based on recent playthroughs of both games: Banjo-Kazooie is a lot better than Super Mario 64.

Around the Network

Playing Minesweeper is more exciting than Red Dead Redemption 2.

Winback is a lot better than Metal Gear Solid

Basically all of Sony's big AAA PS4 exclusives are boring except for Spiderman. They make really good Japanese and AA stuff but more often than not they're overshadowed by cinematic, over the shoulder, gameplay lacking flash over substance releases like uncharted and last of us. They stripped GoW of it's good combat to cater to the uncharted crowd and exclusives with interesting gameplay ideas are typically ignored or trapped on the Vita while they green light another cinematic experience. The PS4 honestly might be my least favorite Sony system because of this. it's exclusives put me to sleep while past PlayStations were able to cater to both the cinematic crowd and the people that act prefer to play their games over watching them

My opinions are practically all contrarian and unpopular. Here are just a few...

Nintendo is a good developer (as opposed to the popular opinions of best,great, or terrible)
Skyrim is the worst in the series
Rockstar games haven't been good since PS2 era
God of War 2018 is a bad direction to take the franchise
Steam has been a waste since launch
Original Xbox > the good parts of 360+ XB1 combined
Gamecube > the good parts of Wii and Wii U combined
Handhelds suck
DW9 was pretty good compared to DW5-DW8
Exclusives are necessary
7th gen as a whole was the worst generation

Maybe more later.

Around the Network

1. Microsoft has innovated MUCH, MUCH more than Sony has.

- Xbox Live was a huge paradigm shift in online gaming. The original PS2 didn't even have ethernet.
- Microsoft made the hard drive standard
- Achievements were a huge innovation
- Xbox Live Arcade was a huge innovation
- And many more things.

Sony, despite being the market leader and making INCREDIBLE consoles, seem to be more of a follower than innovator.

2. Xbox 360 failed in Japan not because it was an American company, but because Microsoft absolutely refused to adapt the Xbox 360 to Japanese tastes.

- "X" in Japan means to cancel (that's why on PlayStation controllers in Japan O is to confirm and X to cancel). Should've renamed it "OBox 360" or something.
- The working title for the original Xbox was "Midway" in reference to the WWII battle (of Midway) that was the point when Americans started to win against Japan
- They tried to force western games down Japanese throats instead of trying to get more Japanese games. By the time they FINALLY started to release a ton of Japanese games, it was too late (2007-2008). However, the fact the 360 sold pretty good at some points during 2008 is proof the 360 could've done good in Japan.
- The launch titles in Japan was pathetic and insulting. Not only did they barely release any Japanese games, the 360 only launched with 6 total games! and to add insult to injury, only around 20 games were backwards compatible at launch compared to over 200 in the USA and Europe.
- The Xbox 360 only used DVDs when it should have used a proprietary disc format (something like VMD) that could hold more layers than a regular DVD0

The iPhone taking over Japan and McDonald's being the number 1 restaurant in Japan, etc. etc. is absolute proof that Xbox could've succeeded in Japan. Not win Japan of course, but sell between 5-8 million systems. Also, the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis only did OK in Japan even though Sega is a Japanese company, but the Saturn did very well because the Saturn had more japanese-style games.

Xbox failed in Japan because Microsoft tried to force Japan to adopt western taste; instead it should have done the opposite.

3. Sony did great at E3 2013, but they hid the fact they were going to start charging for PlayStation Network. Steve Ballmer is also the worst CEO of an American company in recent history.

Farsala said:
My opinions are practically all contrarian and unpopular. Here are just a few...

Nintendo is a good developer (as opposed to the popular opinions of best,great, or terrible)
Skyrim is the worst in the series
Rockstar games haven't been good since PS2 era
God of War 2018 is a bad direction to take the franchise
Steam has been a waste since launch
Original Xbox > the good parts of 360+ XB1 combined
Gamecube > the good parts of Wii and Wii U combined
Handhelds suck
DW9 was pretty good compared to DW5-DW8
Exclusives are necessary
7th gen as a whole was the worst generation

Maybe more later.

I agree with  a lot of what you wrote here, specially, the points about Nintendo and exclusives.

I'll admit that some of what I'm about to say may very well be rooted in ignorance and may change with time, but:

-Naughty Dog is overrated, Uncharted is severely overrated

-Uncharted 2 is not really head and shoulders above the other games in the series

-Most of the Switch's first party games that I've played have been majorly disappointing in at least some regard(s), I can't really call any of the titles "one of the best ever" yet.

-The Steam Store is legit good and most of the problems with it are pretty exaggerated (but it still has problems worth fixing)

-Playstation should really make a Playstation All-Stars game, whether it be called Playstation All-Stars 2 or not. Do a reboot/soft-reboot and make a gameplay style that's either wholly unique or more similar to a traditional fighting game, rather than Smash

-Super Mario Odyssey's post-game content is really not that good ....

-Many of Splatoon's conventions are fundamentally flawed and I probably won't like a Splatoon game until they fix them

-Ubisoft and Capcom's studios are theoretically and potentially some of the best - or at least some of the most interesting - developers in the triple A industry, especially considering that their contemporaries are the likes of EA and Activision

-JRPGs have a lot of conventions that are worth criticizing, and honestly it's pretty understandable why the classic JRPG was starting to phase out (though JRPGs are not even as unpopular as people act and are actually becoming pretty mainstream again? ... lol)

-The perception of the indie industry has kind of been hijacked by an elitist narrative that's pretty annoying and doesn't make a lot of sense 

-Pokemon is so uninteresting that at this point the only reason I (and going off discussions I've seen, many people) care about Pokemon is the promise of each game being dramatically different from the last (Black and White, X and Y, Sun and Moon, Gen 8) 

-There shouldn't be a Bloodborne 2

-auteurs in AAA game development should probably be hyped up a tad less than they currently are in the video game industry

-Monolith Soft need to stop making games that look like someone took a pair of glasses and smudged them all over before forcing you to use them

...And that's all I can think of at the moment that's worth writing! 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 04 February 2019

I find these to be the best games in their respective series:

- Grand Theft Auto
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System)
- Turok Evolution

1. Uncharted was a mediocre game.
2. GOW 1-3 was repetitive and Kratos was a character I couldn't relate to in 2 and 3.
3. Baldur's Gate 2 SoA is the best western rpg.

Now, I shall go get my Dragon Armor.