By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Metro dev says next game won't be on PC if players boycott. EDIT: Official Statement made

The outrage here is silly - he's right. If people boycott the game and sales are low, there's no real financial reason to release the next game on PC.

Also, why does this matter? This feels like silly gamer tribalism again. If you want Metro Exodus, great. If you don't want Metro Exodus, great. But whining because you have to click one program over another, and then having another fit when someone involved with the game tells you it's not an altruistic business? That's just laughable.

Intel i7-8086k @ 5.1 GHz | Asus Maximus X Hero | 32GB Ballistix Sport LT 2400Mhz RAM | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti

Around the Network

With a lot of triple A publishers and developers now *actually* putting effort into their PC ports, we're seeing PC sales affect profits more and more.

Metro is an especially important case, because the original game only launched on PC and Xbox 360 originally, and was far more successful on PC. To the point that Metro is often seen as a PC-oriented franchise. Now, the games have gotten significantly more popular on consoles as of late. And I think this new one will sell gangbusters on Xbox One and PS4. But this is still a head scratcher. To me, it comes off like a desperate attempt to force PC owners to purchase their game, even though for all intents and purposes they've shown massive disrespect towards their audience. Now me personally, I found the original Metro to be a very rough experience. I probably wasn't going to buy this day one. But I do hope the game is successful, if not for the publishers sake then for the developers. This game looks infinitely more interesting than past entries to me, and you can tell a lot of love went into it.

Hopefully this thread does not become like the last, where people can get away with calling people whiners, entitled babies, or anything else of the like. I already see one comment that is similar to what I'm talking about.

Sounds like good riddance to me because that's an absolutely awful stance on the matter. If you do something your customerbase doesn't like, you should definitely expect a reaction. Of course the devs are free to release the game wherever they want and not release it where they don't want, but they're also responsible for the financial consequences. If they want to make even less money because they made less money by screwing over their customerbase, well, that's dumb but it's up to them.

Quite frankly, I also don't think this move to Epic Games Store is good in the first place. It might pay off for publishers in general in the long run, but in the short term, I don't expect it to be very good for 4A Games just because of the amount of customers they're going to be losing.

TheDarkShape said:

The outrage here is silly - he's right. If people boycott the game and sales are low, there's no real financial reason to release the next game on PC.

Uhh ... 

Because Metro games have traditionally sold way better on PC than consoles? The older games are so stacked towards PC that you can compare the sales of titles to that of both console platforms combined. 

I mean, even if console sales together ended up making 70% of sales of the new game, that would still be 30% of their market. 

lets break this down
-Dev makes a new game
-Fans get excited to play the new game
-Dev offers the game through a store that gives more revenue, helping the developers
-Fans boycott the game due to brand loyalty
-"If people on PC dont buy the game, then we wont make games for PC anymore"

ffs, are people really so butthurt that Fortnite is doing well that their prime directive is to never support Epic Games again, even going to lengths to boycott their new storefront which promises to give developers a larger revenue percentage than anywhere else? these people arent fans, they are elitist scum bags who are imposing the same 'my console is better than yours' mentality within a community that has for years acted above that behavior.

Around the Network
TheDarkShape said:

It the game does poorly on PC, it's not possible for 4A Games to really claim the customerbase isn't there. They restricted their customerbase on purpose, so if the game does poorly on PC, it's probably due to their own poor decisionmaking. My understanding is that the previous parts in the series have done really well on PC and don't really see why this would be any different, especially considering how often it's mentioned in the lists of games people are hyped for.

There are always some who deny and cry because things are changing. No matter.

KrspaceT said:
PC fans are thieves anyway. Frankly even if they stick to the consoles they will still pirate it the way they did to Breath of the Wild and countless other games they had no business having.

Isn't it the other way around? People are more willing to not support the developers if they antagonize the audience, I can't see this as something that could decrease piracy.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

CGI-Quality said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
With a lot of triple A publishers and developers now *actually* putting effort into their PC ports, we're seeing PC sales affect profits more and more.

Metro is an especially important case, because the original game only launched on PC and Xbox 360 originally, and was far more successful on PC. To the point that Metro is often seen as a PC-oriented franchise. Now, the games have gotten significantly more popular on consoles as of late. And I think this new one will sell gangbusters on Xbox One and PS4. But this is still a head scratcher. To me, it comes off like a desperate attempt to force PC owners to purchase their game, even though for all intents and purposes they've shown massive disrespect towards their audience. Now me personally, I found the original Metro to be a very rough experience. I probably wasn't going to buy this day one. But I do hope the game is successful, if not for the publishers sake then for the developers. This game looks infinitely more interesting than past entries to me, and you can tell a lot of love went into it.

Hopefully this thread does not become like the last, where people can get away with calling people whiners, entitled babies, or anything else of the like. I already see one comment that is similar to what I'm talking about.

Did they now....? 

* checks *

It's a bit exaggerated perhaps, but that's kind of the general sentiment about PC threads in this community. There is a comment which very clearly are calling gamers entitled in the last thread. Wasn't that bad because it was talking about gamers in general, but still. 

I would say this thread has gotten off to a worse start than the last one, honestly. Just saying this is something that should be looked out for.

So if the game tanks because of their stupid decision to go exclusive on a shitty store, they will get their revenge by not having their next game on PC? That's so childish and stupid.