By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Metro dev says next game won't be on PC if players boycott. EDIT: Official Statement made

There are always some who deny and cry because things are changing. No matter.

Around the Network
KrspaceT said:
PC fans are thieves anyway. Frankly even if they stick to the consoles they will still pirate it the way they did to Breath of the Wild and countless other games they had no business having.

Isn't it the other way around? People are more willing to not support the developers if they antagonize the audience, I can't see this as something that could decrease piracy.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

CGI-Quality said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
With a lot of triple A publishers and developers now *actually* putting effort into their PC ports, we're seeing PC sales affect profits more and more.

Metro is an especially important case, because the original game only launched on PC and Xbox 360 originally, and was far more successful on PC. To the point that Metro is often seen as a PC-oriented franchise. Now, the games have gotten significantly more popular on consoles as of late. And I think this new one will sell gangbusters on Xbox One and PS4. But this is still a head scratcher. To me, it comes off like a desperate attempt to force PC owners to purchase their game, even though for all intents and purposes they've shown massive disrespect towards their audience. Now me personally, I found the original Metro to be a very rough experience. I probably wasn't going to buy this day one. But I do hope the game is successful, if not for the publishers sake then for the developers. This game looks infinitely more interesting than past entries to me, and you can tell a lot of love went into it.

Hopefully this thread does not become like the last, where people can get away with calling people whiners, entitled babies, or anything else of the like. I already see one comment that is similar to what I'm talking about.

Did they now....? 

* checks *

It's a bit exaggerated perhaps, but that's kind of the general sentiment about PC threads in this community. There is a comment which very clearly are calling gamers entitled in the last thread. Wasn't that bad because it was talking about gamers in general, but still. 

I would say this thread has gotten off to a worse start than the last one, honestly. Just saying this is something that should be looked out for.

So if the game tanks because of their stupid decision to go exclusive on a shitty store, they will get their revenge by not having their next game on PC? That's so childish and stupid.

While this isn't good PR I gotta respect the developer standing his ground. And if they truly do boycott it they might decide financially the next isn't worth doing on PC.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

As has been stated, the issue isn't simply that Metro won't be on Steam for a year. It is that said deal happened just under three weeks from release. It is a bad precedent to set and it's good that people spoke up about it.

Regarding this latest statement, it is an easy way to lose a fanbase. 

if that fanbase is pissed about the devs wanting a bit more money from their game release at no extra cost for those fans, then it's probably not one worth keeping

Lmao. What a stupid statement

Lafiel said:
CGI-Quality said:

As has been stated, the issue isn't simply that Metro won't be on Steam for a year. It is that said deal happened just under three weeks from release. It is a bad precedent to set and it's good that people spoke up about it.

if that fanbase is pissed about the devs wanting a bit more money from their game release at no extra cost for those fans, then it's probably not one worth keeping

But, again, it is not as simple as that. In business, denying any customer is grounds for serious problems. In a place that's looking to sell goods to a familiar base, and then baits said base, that person (or persons) shouldn't be in charge of those decisions.

In this instance, that is secondary to why your fanbase (the majority anyway) is bothered by the move. 

Lafiel said:
CGI-Quality said:

Bad argument. The developers didn't make the decision - it's even stated in the article. There's also no way they would ever make as much money with Epic as they would on Steam, at least not on game sales alone. It's a moneyhatting deal, very clearly. They would make more money being on both platforms. 

CGI-Quality said:
Lafiel said:

But, again, it is not as simple as that.

I wonder if some people are omitting some contextual clues on purpose ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909