By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Metro Exodus Becomes a Timed Exclusive to Epic Store

PwerlvlAmy said:
I think this whole Epic store stuff developers are trying to do is going to end up back firing on a lot of these games and a lot,due to epic store, will under sell on PC and hurt a games potential in the long run

PC gamers also do not forget, and forgive for very little, so these devs are going to be fighting quite an uphill battle a year later, if they want Steam users to purchase their year old games at full price. I'd say actual incentives are going to have to be used, because saying "sorry" doesn't cut it.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Don't see why a consumer should care so much. Like seriously? You don't have to pay any extra to get it in the epic store. Just a couple minutes of inconvenience means you'll wait a whole year to play a game you WANT to play??

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ouch.. a full year? Console it is than i guess.

Hopefully Valve starts fighting back and offering there customers like myself more incentives to use there service. With Win10 Store and Epic Store only going to improve and offer exclusives hopefully Valve does the same. Black Mesa Xen needs to remain a Steam Exclusive, if Valve put that game on other platforms than they are slapping themselves in the face.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 30 January 2019

ArchangelMadzz said:
Don't see why a consumer should care so much. Like seriously? You don't have to pay any extra to get it in the epic store. Just a couple minutes of inconvenience means you'll wait a whole year to play a game you WANT to play??

The extra is that I have to install and register to yet another store I don't want to use. The other Metro games are already on my Steam library so why split them? I mean, it should be releasing soon on Steam and now it's gone for a whole year. 

Also, the Epic Store lacks a whole lot of features that are already available on Steam. The list has been already posted in this thread.

But if the cut is so important to them, then charge 70$ on Steam and 60$ on Epic. I personally don't care. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Chazore said:
Peh said:

It actually gets worse from here on. 

30% / 70% from 60$ are 18$ / 42$ on Steam.

12% / 88% from 60$ are 7,2$ / 52,8$ on Epic Store. 

The game in the US Epic Store costs only 50$ where in Europe (Germany for example) it is still 60€.   

So 12$ / 88% from 50$ equals 6$ / 44$ 

So they get on the Epic Store 44$ for each copy they sell where they would get 42$ if they sold the game on Steam for 60$.

That's only a 2$ difference for the US market.

So, which has the bigger userbase between the two and how many potential buyer would you get? 

Is it really worth it? 

Do you guys think they will sell the game on Steam for 60€ in 2020? Who the hell would even buy it after a whole year for the same price as it is now. Or even more expensive as it is on the current US Epic Store? What are they thinking?  

I've already talked to one of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw's devs and they confirmed that their game will launch at exactly the same price on Steam a whole year later, so I imagine the same thing happening with all devs going to Epic exclusively for a year. Thing is, this isn't pro consumer at all, it's devs demanding full price for a product that is a year old, and has thus degraded in value over time. We see this across all other industries, where prices for certain products end up going down due to the passage of time, it is what happens to everything after all, so why should digital code not lose value when we know things like software rot exist?. 

As for the 2$ difference, nah it's not worth it, not by a long shot, and it shows how desperate they are, if they're willing to toss away 100+ million users for a 2$ difference, and it also means I can write those devs off my support list. 

These devs exist because we buy from them, they exist because we exist, and not the other way around. 

Kerotan said:

What's up mate, long time no talk. The Epic store is only on the markrt. Steam took a long time to improve. Epic will improve at a faster rate imo and all the while giving pc devs a bigger cut. If Valve made the hardware that the games launched on id justify the 30%. I believe they tried but that idea bombed. Valve have been in the comfort zone for far too long. I'm glad epic with the help of the global phenom fortnite are here to rattle a few cages. It will be interesting if Twitch come along and rattle even more. 

Except they aren't. All they've been doing is using FN money to buy up games for temp exclusivity, which doesn't benefit the consumer, it actually gives us less options. Their client has had 10 years to use Steam's R&D to catch up to them. The refund policy only changed recently because we the people screamed about it to them. That's not good, that's absolutely awful. 

You also didn't address the fact that other storefronts and consoles take the same cut as Valve either. 

Well you the people screamed at Valve many times and got them to change many things so if Valve get credit for change so do Epic. I will give epic time to implement changes and improvements before judging them. 

They jumped quickly into the BR market by changing Fortnite and adding that mode. It launched pretty bare bones but they got to work and a year later not only did it take over that genre and become a global phenom but it also added many changes improving it over it's initial offering. If they can act as quickly with this new pc store they could take over the game. 

Yeah mate I have to disagree they're not just using their FN money to buy exclusivity they are doing it to aggressively get a foothold in the market. STEAM isn't an easy nut to crack so I can't blame them for their approach. 

Personally I hope they succeed and I hope Twitch shake things up even more. 

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Ouch.. a full year? Console it is than i guess.

Hopefully Valve starts fighting back and offering there customers like myself more incentives to use there service. With Win10 Store and Epic Store only going to improve and offer exclusives hopefully Valve does the same. Black Mesa Xen needs to remain a Steam Exclusive, if Valve put that game on other platforms than they are slapping themselves in the face.

I hope they don't, because the last thing we need is console war exclusivity running rampant across storefronts. 

Also, no, the WIn 10 store hasn't improved yet, and isn't offering me incentives to play there. until they catch up to Steam and provide me with all the features Steam has, games and all, only then would I consider possibly using it. 

Hopefully Valve just do what they do and create games, while offering more features and games that anyone can play anywhere else, you know to give us choices, something which exclusivity fans fail to see. 

Kerotan said:

Well you the people screamed at Valve many times and got them to change many things so if Valve get credit for change so do Epic. I will give epic time to implement changes and improvements before judging them. 

They jumped quickly into the BR market by changing Fortnite and adding that mode. It launched pretty bare bones but they got to work and a year later not only did it take over that genre and become a global phenom but it also added many changes improving it over it's initial offering. If they can act as quickly with this new pc store they could take over the game. 

Yeah mate I have to disagree they're not just using their FN money to buy exclusivity they are doing it to aggressively get a foothold in the market. STEAM isn't an easy nut to crack so I can't blame them for their approach. 

Personally I hope they succeed and I hope Twitch shake things up even more. 

Valve improved themselves over time without everyone having to scream day in and day out, but with Epic it's an entirely different matter. You weren't there for all the times Valve introduced new features, both requested and non requested, so no, it's not exactly the same. 

Epic doesn't get the credit because they were supposed to launch their store with all the same features Steam has, that's how it actually works believe it or not. You get no excuses to not include something the competition has been sporting for years. mjk45's example holds true whether you want to accept it or not. 

They didn't jump in, they changed it because Tecent gave them that advice, after having bought out a decent amount of their company shares. Their original game took 6+ years to create, and it didn't even make a dent when it was released day 1. They spent years not bothering to market it as much as well. They've also cancelled their Moba game, as well as their PC mainstay Unreal Tournament. Meanwhile, Valve are still running with their card game, which has lost users, but at least they didn't actively kill two games with one stone. They are still creating games, while Epic rest on their laurels with a casual based game. 

Their "save the world" mode is still being worked and yet with the billions of MT money, they still cba hiring the staff needed to finish it asap, but instead they put more focus onto the money making machine, rather than the original game itself, that shows you how little they are about their games. They can't even be arsed to revive their two recently put down titles either, and they have more than enough money to spare reviving them for fans. 

Nah, Epic won't "take over the game", they've proven that they want to cater to devs, not consumers. They only cater to Fornite kids and adults with time to burn, but they don't care about fans from anywhere else, not even their moba/UT fans. 

Disagree all you want mate, but they are fighting a war they will lose, and lose it rightfully so. personally I hope they fail and learn a harsh lesson. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

I'll buy the game on console so idc xD
But I don't get why they would do this. The PC sales they'll lose by not bringing it to Steam will be far more than anything Epic would have payed them for exclusivity. Hope it sells well enough on consoles to make up for those sales.

GOWTLOZ said:
I'll buy the game on console so idc xD
But I don't get why they would do this. The PC sales they'll lose by not bringing it to Steam will be far more than anything Epic would have payed them for exclusivity. Hope it sells well enough on consoles to make up for those sales.

Hopefully it backfires on them for making such a horrible mistake and fobbing off millions of gamers on PC, who just wanted to play and buy the game from their client of choice. 

Chazore said:

I hope they don't, because the last thing we need is console war exclusivity running rampant across storefronts. 

Also, no, the WIn 10 store hasn't improved yet, and isn't offering me incentives to play there. until they catch up to Steam and provide me with all the features Steam has, games and all, only then would I consider possibly using it. 

Hopefully Valve just do what they do and create games, while offering more features and games that anyone can play anywhere else, you know to give us choices, something which exclusivity fans fail to see.

Forza Horizon 4 on Win10 store plays amazingly well with little to no issues. Its the latest AAA game from MS that runs great, and its not on Steam. So if you want to play one of the best racing games this generation than there is a clear incentive to play it on Win10 or Xbox. Its also proof that the store is improving and also offering games you cannot play anywhere else unless you own a Xbox. Basically everything on Steam is available on everything else aside from some of Valves own games. As a Steam supporter for 14 years I want them to start offering games I cannot play on a console or another Store front and please don't say Artifact.  

I don't use Steam for mods and other stuff, I just use Steam to play my PC games. But hey I guess we want different things here.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 30 January 2019

Azzanation said:

Mate, don't kid yourself, Forza Horizon 4 on Win10 store plays amazingly well with little to no issues. Its the latest AAA game from MS that runs great, and its not on Steam. So if you want to play one of the best racing games this generation than there is a clear incentive to play it on Win10 or Xbox. Its also proof that the store is improving and also offering games you cannot play anywhere else unless you own a Xbox. Basically everything on Steam is available on everything else aside from some of Valves own games. As a Steam supporter for 14 years I want them to start offering games I cannot play on a console or another Store front and please don't say Artifact.  

I ain't "kidding" myself mate. We're talking about the store here, not one game. Where's all those features Steam has, where's the user reviews and mod support at?. Where are the user galleries and built in forums?. Where is my multi gamepad and config support at?. Don't give me that crappy "give it time" excuse, they've been at this for well over 4 years now and they've continued saying "we'll try harder", but they hardly ever do. 

"one of the best racing games", yeah, in your opinion, not a fact (unless you want to act Like Colteastwood). It's zero incentive for me to use their storefront, because it doesn't have the games I want, it doesn't have the features I want and it doesn't support modding that I want. 

One game isn't proof that it's vastly improving. Your entire argument has been based around one game and not the storefront, not the missing features and consumer practices.

"as a Steam supporter for 14 years", get off that rocker mate. Get off with that fake speech. 

Valve make games, games you clearly don't like, so you best be getting used to that.