By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Metro Exodus Becomes a Timed Exclusive to Epic Store

"Exclusive to Epic Store" = stupid.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

Mate I use my pc every day. I got a brand-new surface pro for Christmas too so use that on the go as well. But frankly it's my business only how often I use my pc not yours. 

Turbulent times are coming, instead of arguing with you on opinion id rather just wait and be proved right or wrong. Developers want that STEAM cut reduced and they'll get their way sooner or later. How soon depends on Valve. The longer they wait the more clout competitors like Epic and Twitch will have. 

Mate I use my toaster everyday, I just got a brand new one from Curry's to use every morning, but frankly it's my business how often I use my toaster, not yours. See how that is easy to just toss anywhere?.

Nah, more like semi rippling waters. Lol "proved wrong", like you are time and time again?. Valve already reduced their cut for a certain amount of revenue earned, but I guess you missed that little memo, since you don't do much research on what Valve are doing these days, just like you and a few here don't look up what games they are making and supporting. 

Why don't you just stay out of something that you aren't a part of. You don't see me trying to kick a hornets nest in the PS main thread, or a discord channel for shits and giggles. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 30 January 2019

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Epic are definitely doing their utmost to gain a foothold as a viable Steam competitor. I suppose they do need to ensure Fornite isn't their only major source of revenue.

Not a PC gamer so can't really judge the pros and cons versus Steam.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Oh no, installing and and making an account another store?! That's truly terrible. 

It may be just because I don't care about this game. But I have a steam account and not an Epic account. Look, I get it, it would it be annoying to do those 5 minutes of work to download and buy a game I wanted? But does that mean I'm gonna through a tantrum (not referring to you, just the internet in general) about it for a year and not play a game I actually want to play? You gotta be crazy. 

From my understanding you can't even play games offline with the Epic Game Store (although you might be able to jump through some hoops to do it). In fact Epic Games Store doesn't even have it's own forum system, so players have to go on Steam to ask questions about their version of the game, which is very detrimental if they have problems that need fixing. Steam is also consistently lower priced than most stores. 

The arguments for Epic Games Store are basically 1 ) It's not a big deal and 2 ) Epic is being pro-consumer by giving Steam competition, even though they're using anti-consumer practices in the proccess. Both arguments are obviously flawed. But yeah .. there is some exaggeration perhaps, that's just how people interpret things differently though. 

You forgot another two:

3) "I don't care about all the features Steam and the other competition has (GoG being DRM free for one). thus nothing Steam does matters, and Epic can do anything it wants".

4) "Steam needs to make more games" (despite them having released one recently, as well as working on multiple VR games and a storefront visual refresh, but that's nothing right?. yet Epic have destroyed two of theirs within the past year and a half, one of them being a beloved PC IP (I can pull that card too frogboy).

This pro Epic crowd comes off as being very arrogant and foolish. Like the kind of crowd that supports the wrong party for the wrong reasons, while also giving themselves the backfire effect (Where they argue in the face of facts and being wrong in general). They seemingly want the competition to do less work, stay secure and form their own monopolies, while also denying the competition anything to go with (which is what we're starting to see from both Discord and Epic). It also appears as if that same crowd wants all the features we've come to expect from Steam, and other clients (for the little those clients have adopted by now) to die and be done away with (and I know if they were, they'd instantly be brought up as "pro" points from a console vs PC argument, because they were used at the start of this gen). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Kerotan said:

Mate I use my pc every day. I got a brand-new surface pro for Christmas too so use that on the go as well. But frankly it's my business only how often I use my pc not yours. 

Turbulent times are coming, instead of arguing with you on opinion id rather just wait and be proved right or wrong. Developers want that STEAM cut reduced and they'll get their way sooner or later. How soon depends on Valve. The longer they wait the more clout competitors like Epic and Twitch will have. 

Mate I use my toaster everyday, I just got a brand new one from Curry's to use every morning, but frankly it's my business how often I use my toaster, not yours. See how that is easy to just toss anywhere?.

Nah, more like semi rippling waters. Lol "proved wrong", like you are time and time again?. Valve already reduced their cut for a certain amount of revenue earned, but I guess you missed that little memo, since you don't do much research on what Valve are doing these days, just like you and a few here don't look up what games they are making and supporting. 

Why don't you just stay out of something that you aren't a part of. You don't see me trying to kick a hornets nest in the PS main thread, or a discord channel for shits and giggles. 

Mate I've no interest in toaster MAU but even if I did I wouldn't ask you as its none of my business.

I am aware of STEAMs tiered system she frankly it should be the other way around. The devs who need the extra revenue the most are those who make under 10m. Regardless STEAM will be forced to offer a better rate sooner or later. Just you wait and see. 

Around the Network
Chazore said:
GOWTLOZ said:
I'll buy the game on console so idc xD
But I don't get why they would do this. The PC sales they'll lose by not bringing it to Steam will be far more than anything Epic would have payed them for exclusivity. Hope it sells well enough on consoles to make up for those sales.

Hopefully it backfires on them for making such a horrible mistake and fobbing off millions of gamers on PC, who just wanted to play and buy the game from their client of choice. 

Deep Silver may have mentioned other incentives besides the revenue cut  but if they have I never heard it, they could have kept the game on both platforms and got the cut from Epic and still have the larger sales volumes on steam that make up for any difference, Instead they have allowed themselves to be the meat in the sandwich and this only benefits Epic so what else where they offered.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Man, gamers act so entitled sometimes...

You know, kerotan is actually right on this one. This is how it's gonna be from now on. More storefronts giving competition to Steam, with the monopoly it had no longer remaining.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
Man, gamers act so entitled sometimes...

You know, kerotan is actually right on this one. This is how it's gonna be from now on. More storefronts giving competition to Steam, with the monopoly it had no longer remaining.

I think you missed the point. The people who are upset in this thread are upset for pretty valid reasons. No one (at least not that I've read) is complaining about Steam getting competition. What's being complained about is the way in which a platform like the Epic Game Store is doing it. Any time someone wants to make a point in favor of Epic Game Store they inevitably bring up that Steam is a "monopoly", because no one would dare argue in favor of a monopoly. But really, for a company which has had a stranglehold on PC gaming for a long time now, it's pretty incredible how in-favor of consumers Steam has been with it's storefront. They may not have rates as good as the Epic Game Store, but the reality is that consumers fight for their interests in the same way publishers and developers do. They will always pick the choices which they think are best for them, and that's not being "entitled". There's nothing entitled about being upset when a company takes a game away from a storefront two weeks before it launches and makes it exclusive to another storefront that doesn't even let you play offline without having to modify a game's files. 

Azzanation said:

Peh said:

I have FH3 and FH4 bought via Windows Store. I only did that because it's already a part of Windows 10. But the Windows Store is by far the worst store out there I've been using. And I won't use it for anything else. There are 2 essential feature that it is lacking up to this date. The option of choosing the language for your games and the option of verifying the files. If a  patch breaks your gamefiles than have fun redownloading the entire game. It happened to me on FH3.

If I remember correctly, you couldn't choose where to install the game in the beginning. They've fixed that. 

Fortunately for some of use we don't have to worry about the language files and as you mentioned above, its only a matter of time before they start including more options. Steam started off barren and was an annoyance. I hated it at launch, many people had a hard time trying to download games off the store front, but over time Valve improved the service and it became a force to be taken seriously. Epic Store is charging in at full force by locking content away, offering cheap prices and give it a few years and you might have a Store that could take the reins. Its why I am frustrated with Valve lately, because they stopped doing what got some of us on Steam in the first place, and that's the games. Give MS until next generation where there UWP becomes polished and imbedded into the next XB2 and the service becomes more mature. The big thing with Win10 is that all Xbox games are going to be on there, basically having a built in Xbox into your Windows PC. Steam will get some of the lower tier MS titles however I don't see Halo or Gears or any other major project crossing over. Content will be there and as FH4 proves to both of you is that they can be ported across nicely and done right.

The windows store is as minimalistic in features as it can get and I personally don't see any improvements, at all. All the complaints I had with the store since the moment I've aquired FH3 are still present until today. So, I doubt it gets better... It seems to me that this store is just a small store for smarthpone applications, not for desktop uses.

Regarding crossplay, it's certainly a nice features for those who own both, and Xbox and PC. I don't know about the port quality of many games there, but FH3 took about 7 month to be fixed for PC. It was a disaster at release. FH4 was far better. 

Maybe I am spoiled by Steam, but it came a long way  to be where it is now and brought a lot of good features I don't want to miss. I am also using Steam since 2003. So, I was there from nearly the beginning. And most of the issues people had, I didn't. The only exception was when the Steam Server were down and you couldn't login.

Microsoft already tried this with Games for Windows live and we all know how this turned out to be. 

Last edited by Peh - on 31 January 2019

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

ArchangelMadzz said:
Peh said:

The extra is that I have to install and register to yet another store I don't want to use. The other Metro games are already on my Steam library so why split them? I mean, it should be releasing soon on Steam and now it's gone for a whole year. 

Also, the Epic Store lacks a whole lot of features that are already available on Steam. The list has been already posted in this thread.

But if the cut is so important to them, then charge 70$ on Steam and 60$ on Epic. I personally don't care. 

Oh no, installing and and making an account another store?! That's truly terrible. 

It may be just because I don't care about this game. But I have a steam account and not an Epic account. Look, I get it, it would it be annoying to do those 5 minutes of work to download and buy a game I wanted? But does that mean I'm gonna through a tantrum (not referring to you, just the internet in general) about it for a year and not play a game I actually want to play? You gotta be crazy. 

Screwing their customers by pulling their game two weeks before release over to another store and locking it there for a whole year, on a launcher that has bad security, lack of many featured like cloud saves, forums, reviews and plenty more is a rather bigger "Oh no".

It's not about caring about a game. It's more about giving a shit about your customers. All the people who preordered the physical version of the game were promised to get the Steam version, now it comes only with an Epic Store key. That's called backstabbing. 

Competition is a good thing, no one argues about that as long as the costumer takes the advantage of it. But in this case? No. Where is the advantage in all of this? Epic's aggressive tactics are only going against the customer. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3