By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Metro Exodus Becomes a Timed Exclusive to Epic Store

I think this whole Epic store stuff developers are trying to do is going to end up back firing on a lot of these games and a lot,due to epic store, will under sell on PC and hurt a games potential in the long run

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
Peh said:
Ljink96 said:
This will most likely hurt them in the long run, the money they'll be saving from Gabe's 70/30 cut will probably not make up for the backlash and potential lost customers. Like at least wait until your next title to switch to Epic, have some class.

I don't blame them for doing what they're doing but the timing was just awful.

It actually gets worse from here on. 

30% / 70% from 60$ are 18$ / 42$ on Steam.

12% / 88% from 60$ are 7,2$ / 52,8$ on Epic Store. 

The game in the US Epic Store costs only 50$ where in Europe (Germany for example) it is still 60€.   

So 12$ / 88% from 50$ equals 6$ / 44$ 

So they get on the Epic Store 44$ for each copy they sell where they would get 42$ if they sold the game on Steam for 60$.

That's only a 2$ difference for the US market.

So, which has the bigger userbase between the two and how many potential buyer would you get? 

Is it really worth it? 

Do you guys think they will sell the game on Steam for 60€ in 2020? Who the hell would even buy it after a whole year for the same price as it is now. Or even more expensive as it is on the current US Epic Store? What are they thinking?  

I was crunching numbers on this myself yesterday but without knowing what kind of $$ Epic are paying for something like Metro it's hard to know for sure but I can't really see how they will make more money by dropping Steam for a years Epic exclusivity. I mean unless Epic are paying $50m+ for a years storefront exclusivity and even that amount may not even cover the sales they will likely loose by the move.

It's also worth noting the recent change Steam brought it that works good for AAA games (sucks balls for Indie devs though) the drop to 25% share after the first 170k copies are sold followed by a drop to 20% share when the game as sold roughly 835k copies based on a $60 price tag so with GOLD Editions it would take less copies due to high revenue to hit the lower Steam Cut.

Last edited by WoodenPints - on 29 January 2019

Yeah. Going to pass over this title now.

Valve could also make Steam more palatable to developers as well... But, exclusivity to certain stores on PC doesn't do anyone any favors.
Although, breaking up Valves monopoly long-term would be good to see from a competitive perspective I guess.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Good to see Epic attempting to break up Valve's monopoly.

Hopefully Steam lowers their cut, which is too high.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

CGI-Quality said:
flashfire926 said:

This is actually not the best way to go about that. It would have been different if this happened prior to taking pre-orders on the game. But, there is nothing good about doing this with less than 3 weeks to go prior to launch. It has received rightful backlash.

Never mind Epic's Store not being ready for primetime:

• No Cloud saves
  • FPS counter
  • Offline Mode
  • Screenshots
  • Universal controller support

And those are just off the top of my head. 

And Steam already has adjusted their cuts, especially in favor of AAA games. It needs more adjustment, but they are already being pro-active. 

Honestly, the Tweets from the parent company THQ Nordic makes me believe this is nothing more than a deal, not a righteous endeavor for fairer cuts (though that needs to be addressed too).

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Chazore said:

What do you think they've been working on over the years mate?.

People give Valve shit for such little trite, yet they're the only client out there that:

Support Linux (Much more than MS) 

Support for multiple gamepads and gamepad software configurations

Support for built in mod support

support for user reviews

Support for multiple features like built in Streaming and user galleries (You can even see user in-game photos via a game's storefront board).

Then of course there are these:

Some folk here also willingly forget that consoles charge 30%, on top of other clients also charging for it, with the few that take less of a cut being Discord and Epic. The consoles also charge for online as well, which never ends up going to any of the devs who have created online based games.

People tend to want to destroy that which provides us with something decent, if not beneficial, and those people aren't exactly intelligent or in the know either. Steam does a lot more than all the other clients, so to toss that all away for a slightly lesser cut is just plain asinine. At the end of the day, the devs exist because we exist, because we pay them, not because we owe them.

What's up mate, long time no talk. The Epic store is only on the markrt. Steam took a long time to improve. Epic will improve at a faster rate imo and all the while giving pc devs a bigger cut. If Valve made the hardware that the games launched on id justify the 30%. I believe they tried but that idea bombed. Valve have been in the comfort zone for far too long. I'm glad epic with the help of the global phenom fortnite are here to rattle a few cages. It will be interesting if Twitch come along and rattle even more. 

The thing is Steam had no real template when it started, Epic did and a lot of those features should have been implemented.  If a car company  built a car with drum brakes and  no seat belts then later on added disc brakes and seat belts, then years later another car company comes along you would expect their car to come with those features.

I agree competition is good,  more money for the developer hopefully means more certainty, but if it comes with putting up walls and epic looking after one part of their customer base at the expense of others then not so good.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 29 January 2019

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

That's pretty bad but understandable. It'll also be understandable if the game's sales suffer because of this, potentially even a lot. My guess is that the game's going to bring in less revenue than it would have, had it been on Steam from the start.

This timing is absolutely horrendous though.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 29 January 2019

No way we will ever know but I'd wager they sell way less than half the number of copies on Epic's Game store than they would have on Steam. But let's be generous and say they sell 50% of what they would have on Steam. So they are opting for 88% of 50% (Epic)= 44% vs. Steam at 70% of 100%= 70%.

Best of luck with that strategy.

CGI-Quality said:
flashfire926 said:

This is actually not the best way to go about that. It would have been different if this happened prior to taking pre-orders on the game. But, there is nothing good about doing this with less than 3 weeks to go prior to launch. It has received rightful backlash.

Never mind Epic's Store not being ready for primetime:

• No Cloud saves
  • FPS counter
  • Offline Mode
  • Screenshots
  • Universal controller support

And those are just off the top of my head. 

Well yeah, I do admit that doing it merely 3 weeks prior, when many people have already pre-ordered is not the right way to go about this.

The reason I think these deals are being signed by Ubisoft/Deep Silver, is that it might be a huge loss for the short term (much less sales of course), but in the long term they could normalize the platform cut to 12% if Steam gives in. Which is a huge gambit of course, but the payoff would be big for PC developers across the board if it all works out. That 18% difference is quite a bit (which jumps to 23% if Unreal Engine is used).

Yeah, Epic store is lacking in a lot of features Steam has accumulated over time. I heard they did add a couple of the feature just some time ago (like regional pricing), but they are still way behind on that front (though hopefully they add stuff not too far into the future).

I guess in the end Epic is a developer oriented store while Steam is consumer oriented.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Peh said:

It actually gets worse from here on. 

30% / 70% from 60$ are 18$ / 42$ on Steam.

12% / 88% from 60$ are 7,2$ / 52,8$ on Epic Store. 

The game in the US Epic Store costs only 50$ where in Europe (Germany for example) it is still 60€.   

So 12$ / 88% from 50$ equals 6$ / 44$ 

So they get on the Epic Store 44$ for each copy they sell where they would get 42$ if they sold the game on Steam for 60$.

That's only a 2$ difference for the US market.

So, which has the bigger userbase between the two and how many potential buyer would you get? 

Is it really worth it? 

Do you guys think they will sell the game on Steam for 60€ in 2020? Who the hell would even buy it after a whole year for the same price as it is now. Or even more expensive as it is on the current US Epic Store? What are they thinking?  

I've already talked to one of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw's devs and they confirmed that their game will launch at exactly the same price on Steam a whole year later, so I imagine the same thing happening with all devs going to Epic exclusively for a year. Thing is, this isn't pro consumer at all, it's devs demanding full price for a product that is a year old, and has thus degraded in value over time. We see this across all other industries, where prices for certain products end up going down due to the passage of time, it is what happens to everything after all, so why should digital code not lose value when we know things like software rot exist?. 

As for the 2$ difference, nah it's not worth it, not by a long shot, and it shows how desperate they are, if they're willing to toss away 100+ million users for a 2$ difference, and it also means I can write those devs off my support list. 

These devs exist because we buy from them, they exist because we exist, and not the other way around. 

Kerotan said:

What's up mate, long time no talk. The Epic store is only on the markrt. Steam took a long time to improve. Epic will improve at a faster rate imo and all the while giving pc devs a bigger cut. If Valve made the hardware that the games launched on id justify the 30%. I believe they tried but that idea bombed. Valve have been in the comfort zone for far too long. I'm glad epic with the help of the global phenom fortnite are here to rattle a few cages. It will be interesting if Twitch come along and rattle even more. 

Except they aren't. All they've been doing is using FN money to buy up games for temp exclusivity, which doesn't benefit the consumer, it actually gives us less options. Their client has had 10 years to use Steam's R&D to catch up to them. The refund policy only changed recently because we the people screamed about it to them. That's not good, that's absolutely awful. 

You also didn't address the fact that other storefronts and consoles take the same cut as Valve either. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"