By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Metro Exodus Becomes a Timed Exclusive to Epic Store

3rd party deals happen all the time. 2 weeks out from release though? That's just disappointing.

Edit... It's actually very disappointing. They clearly just cashed out.

Last edited by ironmanDX - on 29 January 2019

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
3rd party deals happen all the time. 2 weeks out from release though? That's just disappointing.

From what I've read, all pre-orders will be honored on Steam and none of the updates or DLC will be locked to Epic Game Store. At least, that's what I've heard. If that's the case then it's almost like just pulling it from new purchasers. It still sucks, though. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
ironmanDX said:

From what I've read, all pre-orders will be honored on Steam and none of the updates or DLC will be locked to Epic Game Store. At least, that's what I've heard. If that's the case then it's almost like just pulling it from new purchasers. It still sucks, though. 

Surely though there were preorders to come. It usually ramps up if anything in the last few weeks. If there's a multiplayer component too that isn't cross-play between platforms then the playerbase on steam is screwed over post launch too.

I remember the time when almost everyone I know was pirating/streaming movies then Netflix launched in my country and almost everyone I know got it because hey it is handy. But then we got Hulu, Amazon, local stream services etc and now people starting to pirate/stream more, it is annoying I feel like I joined +10 places to play a game.

It's a shame that this will end up costing the game some sales at least initially because PC gamers can be just as much a fan of a platform as a console gamer is about who designed their hardware. I see that epic are gambling the desire of gamers to play this to try to get people in the door of their store... Wonder how it will play out, it hasn't worked well for games exclusive to win10 store. Will epics faith be different.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Wanting to become a better shop than Steam is a good move, but doing so by buying exclusivity is even trashier than Steam already is.

Very asinine decision. Their game isn't so much looked after that people would flock to their service to buy it. There is much more potential for lost sales (and when the timed exclusivity finish the game will be already much lower in price and desire) than new subscribers to their service.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

konnichiwa said:
I remember the time when almost everyone I know was pirating/streaming movies then Netflix launched in my country and almost everyone I know got it because hey it is handy. But then we got Hulu, Amazon, local stream services etc and now people starting to pirate/stream more, it is annoying I feel like I joined +10 places to play a game.

Everyone wants a piece of the pie, but I won't pay so many subs that it become more expensive than a cable tv itself. So if it isn't on what I have I won't sign another for a single thing.

Add that to not only Netflix management of titles being bad (like cycling content on ill way and offering things like HP instead of 8 movies sometimes they have the number 3 and 6, then months later 4 or 1, etc) but other companies removing what they had there to open their store... it will soon go back to just torrent for everything.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Good, this is all because Steam has been a rip off for years for Developers. Reading this, Steam taking 30% while Epic will only take 12% it's a no brainer.

so just buy it on the Epic Games Store. the reason they jumped ship is so they can keep more of the revenue. this will help them as a developer if you buy their game from Epic