By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's share price takes a -4% hit after MP4's announcement.

melbye said:
Could have something to do with this instead of Metroid though

https://nintendosoup.com/nintendo-switch-shipments-shrinking-by-25-in-2019-according-to-suppliers/

That could mean the new model is on the horizon. That's what the company I used to work for did few months before the release of Raspberry Pi 2. We reduced, by over 30%, the amount of so called "forward orders" of models 1 and 1+.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

That's not my point though? I don't know how you could misinterpret it, I said it pretty clearly. 

Also those Fire Emblem numbers are wrong. Fates is the best selling by far and easily a bigger priority thus far than Metriod. Metroid and FE are both franchises that I would guess sell Nintendo consoles a lot more than stuff like Yoshi and Kirby do. Which is why I said Metroid is probably a bigger hardware seller than most 2-4 million seller games. Again I'm talking about games which sell hardware, not games that sell in general. Some of those are just odd inclusions too, like stuff that wouldn't even be in the conversation. And let's be honest, for the foreseeable future Kirby and Star Fox aren't doing those numbers. Maybe Yoshi though. 

No, I know what you're saying, but a small software seller is usually not that good at selling hardware anyway. Considering how Nintendo fans usually buy a console for many of the Nintendo games, not just one, makes sense to assume most Metroid fans already own the hardware by the time a Metroid game gets announced.

Oh ok, my bad! I went away for a while and I kind of had a eureka moment where I got what you were saying. 

I still don't think it helps a lot though ... I mean ... if the entire question is whether or not software which doesn't sell very many units can have a disproportionately high amount of hardware sales in comparison to software which sells similarly, just showing that the software doesn't sell very much isn't really making a point, right? And if you're trying to get across that Yoshi and Kirby are significantly bigger sellers, than I'd say that's a bit disingenuous. Notice that Yoshi and Kirby capped at their franchise starts (the first Kirby game and the first Yoshi game). This isn't true for Metroid, which peaked with Prime (which isn't a coincidence). A better point would have been to say that most recent Metroid games didn't sell at 2 million (Prime 2, Prime 3, Other M, etc.), but even then I was using a wide range of 2-4 million for a reason, it's not to be taken so literally. I'm just talking about what I think could be considered Nintendo's D or C-tier games. 

It is true that most Metroid fans will probably already have a Switch, but I think that's not true to the same extent as Kirby or Yoshi. Those games already have similar equals on the system. Not only that, but I think Metroid has the potential to capture an audience Nintendo doesn't already have, which isn't really true for Kirby or Yoshi. 

Kirby obviously makes a lot more money than Metroid will on a single system, though. Depending on how fast HAL is they could have 2-3 mainline Kirby games on one system. But any individual Kirby game probably won't sell as much hardware as one Metroid title, and I kind of doubt they would collectively either. Yoshi is similar from a hardware selling perspective, but I think as a single game it will sell pretty damn well. Mainly due to the fact that we might not get another new Yoshi game, at least not a mainline one. It might be the only new mainline on the system, and even if it isn't, the other one will come pretty late in the Switch's life cycle. Metroid Prime 4 on the other hand is basically Nintendo's Half Life, Half Life and Metroid Prime even got their last continuations in the same year (Metroid Prime 3 and Half-Life 2 Episode 2 both came out in 2007). Depending on how innovative it is and how well it's marketed, I could see it becoming really big. Remember that titles like Zelda were not always system sellers worldwide, but often in very specific regions. Breath of the Wild is the first time a Zelda moved serious units in Japan since I think Ocarina. 

Is this really based on Metroid? There's other news that's more relevant to stock value going around right now. For example: there was also talk about Nintendo maintaining the 20M shipment numbers, a portion of the shareholders may have had higher expectations.

Metroid is a low tier seller for Nintendo, they usually are insignificant in stock market valuation.

Otherwise, I would suggest it is based on a calculation based on ignorance of impact of Metroid - which is trivial in the grand scheme. Metroid is a popular franchise among a certain niche (personally, I really like the early games, but am not able to get into the later ones), and some might be reading the game as a ~12 million title instead of a 2-2.5M title. I suppose if they did something like a Breath of the Wild style game - but it's going to probably be cloning 20 year old designs, rather blowing the box open like Breath of the Wild did.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 28 January 2019

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

It's funny how reactionary some stock investors are to the news that shouldn't even have an effect on the stock price. It's not like Metroid is a huge franchise. Anyway, the price will probably go back up.

Somehow I think Nintendo will survive to see another day.

Mario on the other hand...

Around the Network

Drop makes no send MP never been a huge seller, 4% is high for that bad news lol.

They should fill the void this year by releasing an HD remaster of the Prime Trilogy. It's only been 17(!) years since the first one dropped and 12 since the last one... best way to drum up hype for a new installment is to allow people to rediscover the games or play them for the first time. I mean we know those GameCube ports are coming eventually (Sunshine HD please!), so might as well throw in 3 of the best games from the GC / Wii era.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

What an overreaction if it's in response to Metroid. The series is a blip on Nintendo's bottom line.

Not really a surprise at all. Seems this 19 isn´t going to be a nice one for Ninty.

Raven said:
What an overreaction if it's in response to Metroid. The series is a blip on Nintendo's bottom line.

Maybe this is more related to the good people reaction to tittles like RESIDENT EVIL 2 REMAKE and Kingdom Hearts 3? A mix of both situations? Probably.