By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's share price takes a -4% hit after MP4's announcement.

Seriously though, this is why going public is a death nail for so many companies. If not in their customer base its in their employee base. Thankfully, it has not hurt Nintendo too much.

Around the Network

As I stated in another thread I think. 2019 is off to a REALLY bad start for Nintendo

- Only first party by Nintendo releasing besides a Wii U port is Yoshi in March
- No Switch news at all,no information on 2019 games,no directs to keep us updated on what to expect(heading into the 2nd month of the year)
- Metroid Prime 4 development starting over.

All momentum they gained in 2018 seems to be dwindling early 2019. People getting restless and need GOOD news and I feel it has to happen soon

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Lol...My intention was to proove that Kirby was a heavier seller but....

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Darwinianevolution said:

If this is true, investers once again don't know what they're doing. Since when has Metroid been a strong seller, much less a Smash level hit?

People mention that Metroid isn't a software seller a lot, but surely when compared to most 2-4 million sellers from Nintendo it probably sells a lot more hardware, right? Like .. I would find it a little odd if Kirby and Yoshi sell as much hardware as Metroid does. Kirby might beat Metroid in Japan but still.

Best Selling Mario: Super Mario Bros. (NES) ---- 40m

Best Selling Pokemon: Red/ Blue (GB) ---- 31m

Best Selling Smash: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) --- 12.91m

Best Selling Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS + WiiU) --- 11m

Best Selling DK: Donkey Kong Country (SNES) ---- 9.30m

Best Selling Kirby: Kirby's Dream Land (GB) ---- 5.13m

Best Selling Yoshi: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES) ---- 4.12m

Best Selling Starfox: Star Fox 60 (N64) ----  4m

Best Selling F-Zero: F-Zero (SNES) ---- 2.85m

Best Selling Metroid: Metroid Prime (GC) ---- 2.82m

Best Selling Fire Emblem: Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) ---- 2.1m

Looking at this numbers it's pretty clear the Metroid series is not the biggest by a wide margin. Hell, considering how much time and efford Metroid games can take to develop, Fire Emblem games are still probably more profitable, so they would have the priority for Nintendo.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

People mention that Metroid isn't a software seller a lot, but surely when compared to most 2-4 million sellers from Nintendo it probably sells a lot more hardware, right? Like .. I would find it a little odd if Kirby and Yoshi sell as much hardware as Metroid does. Kirby might beat Metroid in Japan but still.

Looking at this numbers it's pretty clear the Metroid series is not the biggest by a wide margin. Hell, considering how much time and efford Metroid games can take to develop, Fire Emblem games are still probably more profitable, so they would have the priority for Nintendo.

That's not my point though? I don't know how you could misinterpret it, I said it pretty clearly. 

Also those Fire Emblem numbers are wrong. Fates is the best selling by far and easily a bigger priority thus far than Metriod. Metroid and FE are both franchises that I would guess sell Nintendo consoles a lot more than stuff like Yoshi and Kirby do. Which is why I said Metroid is probably a bigger hardware seller than most 2-4 million seller games. Again I'm talking about games which sell hardware, not games that sell in general. Some of those are just odd inclusions too, like stuff that wouldn't even be in the conversation. And let's be honest, for the foreseeable future Kirby and Star Fox aren't doing those numbers. Maybe Yoshi though. 

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:

From this list, there is only one last remaining not announced yet...My body is ready for it but I still doubt we will see it. :(

Mp4, i was thinking this was something to do with music, like mp3 xD

Darwinianevolution said:

That's not my point though? I don't know how you could misinterpret it, I said it pretty clearly. 

Also those Fire Emblem numbers are wrong. Fates is the best selling by far and easily a bigger priority thus far than Metriod. Metroid and FE are both franchises that I would guess sell Nintendo consoles a lot more than stuff like Yoshi and Kirby do. Which is why I said Metroid is probably a bigger hardware seller than most 2-4 million seller games. Again I'm talking about games which sell hardware, not games that sell in general. Some of those are just odd inclusions too, like stuff that wouldn't even be in the conversation. And let's be honest, for the foreseeable future Kirby and Star Fox aren't doing those numbers. Maybe Yoshi though. 

No, I know what you're saying, but a small software seller is usually not that good at selling hardware anyway. Considering how Nintendo fans usually buy a console for many of the Nintendo games, not just one, makes sense to assume most Metroid fans already own the hardware by the time a Metroid game gets announced.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Metroid wasn't selling much in the past but it has a really strong fanbase still. There is literally nothing else like this in Nintendo's catalogue so i'm pretty sure Metroid Prime 4 could carry more hardware then a 2D Yoshi game that sells three times the amount Metroid does.

Well yes, after growing over 20% over just the past four weeks.

I think the bigger issue would have been the game coming out and being crap.