By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Do You Believe is the Status of Retro's Other Project(s)?

What Happened to Retro's Other Project(s)?

They have a game almost d... 37 64.91%

Retro is splitting up its... 3 5.26%

They had a project cancelled by Nintendo. 17 29.82%

Total:57

Honestly I think whatever Retro was working on is either finished or closed to and it might come out sooner than people think, yes it has been 5 years since TF and we have heard nothing from them since then but if the StarFox rumor is true then it could have taken a while to get development started.
Plus if Retro for the past 5 years as done nothing and/or was only getting games canceled would Nintendo really be going to go with them to MP4 after what was already a shitty situation? to me that doesn't seem likely at all.

Around the Network

I don't know what Retro been doing. Sitting on their asses smoking a bunch of weed in Austin is my guess. They what did a port and helped a few franchises past couple years?

mZuzek said:
Dulfite said:
I either hope it is a new IP or a direct sequel to Donkey Kong 64. I want a high graphics open world Donkey Kong adventure game like 64 and Banjo on the Switch. I want to stare into the veiny eyes of King K. Rool once again as I collect the shiny Golden Bananas.

eww

It didn't occur to me until reading it now how weird that sounded. My bad. I just really enjoyed DK 64.

Actually come to think of it. I think they are working on video game adaption to Grandma's Boy movie. It all makes perfect sense.

mZuzek said:
Dulfite said:

It didn't occur to me until reading it now how weird that sounded. My bad. I just really enjoyed DK 64.

Nah don't worry, the "eww" was directed at it being an open-world DK64 sequel.

Okay so it's not weird to have a lizard stare into your eyes while you go after a golden banana.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Basically everything you said just agreed with me.  1. DKCR is a step down from the companies previous work. 2. Agreed with me that they're unfit to work on Prime atm(due to staff that made Prime what it is,being gone now).  2D is also way easier to do and your errors and mess ups are seen less in those games(you get more of a pass) than you would in a 3D game. We'll see what they bring to the table, but until then to me there's no valid reason to praise them for making this game and acting like its the same people of old that will be involved. People getting excited over the name recognition used for PR purposes.  

It will be quite a long time now before this even comes to pass, if it even does this generation(based off Retro's current track record of making nothing recently). So were probably going to be having this debate for quite some time. But it is what it is.

Um... what. I literally didn't say any of that? Talk about cherry picking your arguments here.

1. Yeah I said DKCR was a step down, but I also said it was still a great game and that its successor, Tropical Freeze, was as good as anything the Prime trilogy brought us. 2. I didn't agree that they're unfit at all, in fact I said quite the opposite of that. The original staff being gone is a fact, not an opinion, my opinion is that that fact could hold little importance.

Also, lol at "errors get more of a pass in 2D games than 3D games", that has to be one of the most biased and unfounded arguments I've seen here. There's no reason mess ups are gonna be seen less in 2D games over 3D games, in fact I'd argue it'd be the opposite since there's a lot more stuff that can go unnoticed in a 3D game, whereas in a 2D one the level design has to be much more precise or else the issues are glaring. It's a dumb point to make, anyway, games are what they are and saying 2D games get a free pass is pretty much saying "I am biased and I want you to know it".

I agree the Retro move could have definitely been used for name recognition and PR, but to think Nintendo would just give them a game they're incapable of making after just giving up on a developer who was incapable is quite insane, it'd make no sense for them to not stick to the current guys if that were the case, or cancel the whole thing altogether. Everything we know about Retro in the last 5 years is rumors. What we do know for sure about Retro is that, regardless of whoever was at the company at any given time, they were always capable of putting out very high quality content.

Yeah you actually agreed with everything I said in my previous post. ''That has to be one of the most biased and unfounded arguments here''. Not sure why you are getting hostile here. You stated an opinion, I countered with my own, which you agreed to several of my points and that was that.  So we'll have to agree to disagree here.  Until Retro shows that they aren't just a one trick pony and can actually produce results, the conversation we are having here is fruitless really. We'll know the answer in 4-5 years,if we are lucky

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

PwerlvlAmy said:

Until Retro shows that they aren't just a one trick pony and can actually produce results, the conversation we are having here is fruitless really. We'll know the answer in 4-5 years,if we are lucky

Making 5 excellent videogames is a one trick pony.

ARamdomGamer said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Until Retro shows that they aren't just a one trick pony and can actually produce results, the conversation we are having here is fruitless really. We'll know the answer in 4-5 years,if we are lucky

Making nothing but DK games with the current team in place is a one trick pony,yes. People keep thinking the Retro we have now is the same one of old. It's not.  That's where signals are getting crossed here

PwerlvlAmy said:
ARamdomGamer said:

Making nothing but DK games with the current team in place is a one trick pony,yes. People keep thinking the Retro we have now is the same one of old. It's not.  That's where signals are getting crossed here

So they are both a one trick pony for multiple Metroid games and a one trick pony for multiple DK games, because they did nothing but Metroid before Returns.

ARamdomGamer said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

So they are both a one trick pony for multiple Metroid games and a one trick pony for multiple DK games, because they did nothing but Metroid before Returns.

Again you're trying to use the old team in your argument currently about the new team.  Doesn't quite work. This current team in place that people are excite for hasn't shown us they're capable of making a Metroid style of game,as of yet, as they've only shown us they're capable of platformers and sidescrollers. Then have been MIA for the last sum odd 5 years with nothing to show us what they're truly capable of. This is why I personally do not see the hype in the announcement of them being involved in the game when they have not shown us that they're capable of pulling it off(as of yet). Who knows, maybe in 4-5 years when its finally revealed I'll be proven wrong and that would be awesome. But until that time comes, I just cant agree to the sentiment that this is a overall positive thing at this point in time.