By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Do You Believe is the Status of Retro's Other Project(s)?

What Happened to Retro's Other Project(s)?

They have a game almost d... 37 64.91%

Retro is splitting up its... 3 5.26%

They had a project cancelled by Nintendo. 17 29.82%

Total:57
mushroomboy5 said:
Am I the only person in existence that hopes this supposed starfox racing game is just a bad dream? Sounds terrible. I’d rather see a new Donkey Kong game than that. Actually it’d make sense cos I’d think DK would be a series Nintendo would want them to continue with. I also think that’s (partly) why they rereleased dktf on the switch.

Yes. From what it has been described as the StarFox racing game is sort of a Diddy Kong Racing spiritual successor, with a story mode, bosses, a Hub and even sidequests. Overall it feels like the best way you could reboot the StarFox franchise, it doesn't necessarily fit in the Mario Kart or F-Zero slot since it is focused on story and allows Retro to unleash their creativity in a racing game after testing the waters with Mario Kart 7. I understand the concept sounds weird, but I can't help but feel frustrated for the devs when games leak with no pictures/videos and people start trashing them solely based on the name: this happened with Mario+Rabbids in 2017 where promising details about the game leaked but people shut their eyes and ears after they read "Mario and Rabbids crossover" and started talking trash based on no evidence, ignoring people who pointed out the game was a Strategy game in the vein of X-Com and looked really good.

Similarly we know this is a story driven racing game (which is rare to see these days), Nintendo was surprised by its visuals and it uses some mix of shooting-boosting mechanic where you go faster when you hit enemies. 

Again, the game isn't confirmed (but there's A TON of sources that said it exists), perhaps it's not in the genre you like, but actively saying "I hope it isn't true" won't do anything, games won't be cancelled because people's complaint online, especially complaints about a game they haven't seen.

Around the Network

Apparently retro submitted their own MP4 demo to Nintendo recently (late last year) and Nintendo jumped on it, so Retro definitely wanted the project.

Whatever they've been working on likely started in late 2013 as a WiiU project (remember DK TP was finished in late 2013, but Nintendo pushed the release back to fill their schedule in early 2014). They were probably pitching several internal projects and making demos at that point until they settled on something to go into full production sometime in 2014.

By late 2016 they probably had a substantial amount of development done (at least I'd hope so..), when the project was shifted from the WiiU to the 'NX', adding to the development time.

Here is where I hit a road block though. Either Retro was working one something really ambitious or they had their game cancelled and started development on one of their other pitches in the meantime, because I can't see them reasonably taking more than three years for a mid-tier project. Add a year for the transition from WiiU to Switch and we should have seen the game in late 2018 at the latest.

That obviously didin't happen, so either it's a game of ambitious proportions wich would put it more in line with a 5-year development time and mean it probaby gets revealed and released this year, or something went very wrong during development and one or several Retro games were cancelled.

Last edited by SuperNova - on 27 January 2019

PwerlvlAmy said:
I really don't get why people are so hyped for Retro Studios on MP4. They've literally done nothing but Donkey Kong games and all their ''secret'' projects never have come to fruition. They've literally done nothing. Also count the fact that nearly all the developers that worked on Prime arent' even at Retro anymore.

I think all their secret projects either

1. Never existed
2. Exist but are now on hiatus due to MP4 work
3. Canned now that they're working on MP4

Are you aware that when Retro Studios was working on Metroid Prime 1 for the Gamecube they didn't have done much before that? They had 4 projects which were all canceled, because of MP1. So, all your arguments you have are pretty much unfounded, since those were already being made 20 years ago and ended up being proven wrong. Also, all you do is base your arguments on the lack of actual information from the inside of Retro Studios. Do you know what they were doing all these past years? No. Why do you act like you do? How can you claim that they have "done literally nothing" if your reasoning is based on pure ignorance? 

Do you think that this is fair? 

Remember, Retro Studios made a success with MP 1 without ever doing something even close to being similar to that game. 

⚠️ WARNED: Flaming (this and post below to PwerlvlAmy) ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 28 January 2019

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
I really don't get why people are so hyped for Retro Studios on MP4. They've literally done nothing but Donkey Kong games and all their ''secret'' projects never have come to fruition. They've literally done nothing. Also count the fact that nearly all the developers that worked on Prime arent' even at Retro anymore.

I think all their secret projects either

1. Never existed
2. Exist but are now on hiatus due to MP4 work
3. Canned now that they're working on MP4

Are you aware that when Retro Studios was working on Metroid Prime 1 for the Gamecube they didn't have done much before that? They had 4 projects which were all canceled, because of MP1. So, all your arguments you have are pretty much unfounded, since those were already being made 20 years ago and ended up being proven wrong. Also, all you do is base your arguments on the lack of actual information from the inside of Retro Studios. Do you know what they were doing all these past years? No. Why do you act like you do? How can you claim that they have "done literally nothing" if your reasoning is based on pure ignorance? 

Remember, Retro Studios made a success with MP 1 without ever doing something even close to being similar to that game. 

Again you're going back to speaking of Retro Studios(MP1 days) as if this is the same team as it exists today. Its not.  This version of Retro still has to prove that they can accomplish something more than just paltformers and sidescrollers. We'll know the answer to that when MP4 finally releases. Plain and simple. They've been MIA for 4-5 years, so they have a lot to prove. 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

cycycychris said:

about Retro's staff, someone took at look at the Linkedin pages of Retro staff came back with a list of the top people at Retro and whether they've worked on Metriod

Prime Series Veterans

President Michael Kelbaught - Prime 2

Game Director Ryan Harris - Prime

Creative Director Vince Joly - Prime 2

Audio Director Scott Petterson - Prime 2

Lead Programmer Aaron Walker - Prime 3

Art & Animation Manager Will Bate - Metroid Prime 3

Lead Artist Ryan Powell - Prime

Lead Effects Artist Chuck Crist - Prime

Principal Animator Dax Pallotta - Prime

Senior Enviromment Artist Teague Schultz - Prime 2 Sean Horton - Prime 2

Senior Programmers Jim Gage - Prime Alexander Quinones - Prime John Sheblak - Prime Trilogy

Design Supervisor Bill Vanvervoot - Prime 3

Senior Designer Russel O Henly - Prime 2

Senior Animator Stephen Zapros - Prime

Operations Director Kellie Prinz Johnson - Prime 2

Al Artus Facilities Manager - Prime

Not Prime

Programming Director Tim Little - DKCR

Lead Animator Mookie Weisbrod - DKTF

Senior Environment Artist Maruchy Fernandez

Senior Programmers Jim Richmond Gerorgia Nelson

Senior Technical Artist Rob Kovach

It appears that the top staff at Retro is still very much so experience in the series.

...wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllppppppppppppppppppppp

LOL

Around the Network

Luigi’s Mansion 3 aren't they working on that

Werix357 said:

No that's Next Level Games I beieve 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Werix357 said:

No that's Next Level Games I beieve 

cycycychris said:
Werix357 said:

I think your confusing Next Level Games with Retro. I don't believe the developer for Luigi's Mansion has actually been confirmed yet, but its safe to bet it'll probably be Next Level Games.

Yeah it's just an assumption on my part after seeing a few of their (Retro Studios) post on Twitter they seem to post quite a bit of Halloween

PwerlvlAmy said:
Peh said:

Again you're going back to speaking of Retro Studios(MP1 days) as if this is the same team as it exists today. Its not.  This version of Retro still has to prove that they can accomplish something more than just paltformers and sidescrollers. We'll know the answer to that when MP4 finally releases. Plain and simple. They've been MIA for 4-5 years, so they have a lot to prove. 

"We'll know the answer to that when MP4 finally releases"

Exactly, and yet you judge them for the worse without knowing a thing about them. Not releasing any project in the past years doesn't mean anything. Since none of us knows what they are actually doing. Development takes a lot of time. Building a new engine can take some years, experimenting with different concepts and then actually making the game.

Again, they have to prove nothing in order to work on a MP title since the original team also worked on one without previous experience on MP1. Thus, your argument goes nowhere. 

Also, as already posted in this thread, apparently Retro Studio already provided a demo which was approved by Nintendo.

And, as posted by cycycychris, there are still people there who did work on past MP titles. So there also goes your very argument.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

"We'll know the answer to that when MP4 finally releases"

Exactly, and yet you judge them for the worse without knowing a thing about them. Not releasing any project in the past years doesn't mean anything. Since none of us knows what they are actually doing. Development takes a lot of time. Building a new engine can take some years, experimenting with different concepts and then actually making the game.

Again, they have to prove nothing in order to work on a MP title since the original team also worked on one without previous experience on MP1. Thus, your argument goes nowhere. 

Also, as already posted in this thread, apparently Retro Studio already provided a demo which was approved by Nintendo.

And, as posted by cycycychris, there are still people there who did work on past MP titles. So there also goes your very argument.

My argument is very much in tact. I'll stand by the words I've repeated over and over. When they prove they're capable, I'll jump on the bandwagon with everyone else. Until then, I can't blindly praise them for something they haven't proven they're capable of just yet. Simple as that.  I look at in multiple ways, just because you have an ''all star team'' doesn't mean the end product you're wanting to achieve will be what you want to. Take baseball,fan of it or not, take the Yankees as an example, they tried to buy up all the best players in the game in order to achieve a championship. What happened though, all that star studded team didn't win jack or achieve a championship they wanted. That's all I'm saying about Retro, they are not a bad studio, hell DKC games they've been have been good, hard for someone to deny that. I just do not see anything in these games that show me they should be put on a pedestal just yet. That's why myself,personally, am waiting to see what they achieve for MP4 before I can truly say ''Shit, looks like I was wrong'' or vice versa and say ''damn guess I was right''. Till then its merely an unpopular opinion

Last edited by PwerlvlAmy - on 28 January 2019

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick