By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Do You Believe is the Status of Retro's Other Project(s)?

What Happened to Retro's Other Project(s)?

They have a game almost d... 37 64.91%

Retro is splitting up its... 3 5.26%

They had a project cancelled by Nintendo. 17 29.82%

Total:57
PwerlvlAmy said:
Peh said:

"We'll know the answer to that when MP4 finally releases"

Exactly, and yet you judge them for the worse without knowing a thing about them. Not releasing any project in the past years doesn't mean anything. Since none of us knows what they are actually doing. Development takes a lot of time. Building a new engine can take some years, experimenting with different concepts and then actually making the game.

Again, they have to prove nothing in order to work on a MP title since the original team also worked on one without previous experience on MP1. Thus, your argument goes nowhere. 

Also, as already posted in this thread, apparently Retro Studio already provided a demo which was approved by Nintendo.

And, as posted by cycycychris, there are still people there who did work on past MP titles. So there also goes your very argument.

My argument is very much in tact. I'll stand by the words I've repeated over and over. When they prove they're capable, I'll jump on the bandwagon with everyone else. Until then, I can't blindly praise them for something they haven't proven they're capable of just yet. Simple as that.  I look at in multiple ways, just because you have an ''all star team'' doesn't mean the end product you're wanting to achieve will be what you want to. Take baseball,fan of it or not, take the Yankees as an example, they tried to buy up all the best players in the game in order to achieve a championship. What happened though, all that star studded team didn't win jack or achieve a championship they wanted. That's all I'm saying about Retro, they are not a bad studio, hell DKC games they've been have been good, hard for someone to deny that. I just do not see anything in these games that show me they should be put on a pedestal just yet. That's why myself,personally, am waiting to see what they achieve for MP4 before I can truly say ''Shit, looks like I was wrong'' or vice versa and say ''damn guess I was right''. Till then its merely an unpopular opinion

One of your arguments is that the Retro Studio lost most of it's staff that worked on the previous games  and that's why it's bad they got the project. 

We are now aware of who is probably still working of the team at RS. And now you changed your argument to "An all star team doesn't warrant a product that one wants". I refer "all star team" to the old staff.

So, here is my question: What do you want?

Both options seem to be out of place for you, be it either the lack of known staff members or that the staff members who are still there. You have to pick one. Because you defend the position that every studio who did or did not not work on MP is not qualified enough to work on PM4. Please make up your mind.

And regarding the hype about Retro Studio doing the job. From all I can see, I am glad they are doing it, since the put a lot of care into their projects. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, even if it being a pseudo 2D jump & run game, has shown not only precise gameplay mechanics and well thought out design, but the visuals in that game are pretty outstanding for what could be achieved on that console. They could have gone the minimalistic Mario Bros route and call it a day. But they didn't. So far, they gain my praise until the've shown to the public they are unable to. 

And all your argument is build on the ignorance at what RS actually did the past years. Since, you know, claimed that they've done nothing without providing verifiable evidence for your case but the only one that is not sharing any news to the public about what is going on at RS.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network

Man I just want Retro to announce their game already so we can finally end all of this "Retro is incompetent, shutting down, not talented enough etc" BS. If they were any of those, I doubt Nintendo would give them Prime 4.

I just can't stop thinking about the fact that since Tropical Freeze released we have gotten not one but two massive 100 hour+ RPG's from Monolith Soft

melbye said:
I just can't stop thinking about the fact that since Tropical Freeze released we have gotten not one but two massive 100 hour+ RPG's from Monolith Soft

According to Wikipedia, Monolith Soft has about 184 employees whereas Retro Studio is only half as big. 

Xenoblade X development took 4 years. The development for Xenoblade 2 started right after the negative criticism of its story telling and took 3 years to finish.

But I still don't see the point you want to make other than saying that RS is way too slow in releasing their games. Other studios / publishers can throw bigger games out each year like Ubisoft with Assassins Creed.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

While I can understand people adopting a 'wait and see' approach, I'd also say it's worth remembering what happened to Nintendo's other first-party American studio: Nintendo Software Technology. They were responsible for GameCube games like Wave Race: Blue Storm and 1080 Avalanche, as well as Metroid Prime Hunters, and, of course, the Mario vs Donkey Kong series.

They were a trusted developer at one stage. However, their original project, what became the Wii action game Project HAMMER, spent up to 6 years in development, with a sizeable chunk of the budget being blown in the early stages on cut-scenes. NST continued to commit to the project, convincing Nintendo to invest more in the project despite the torrid development and despite a potential culture-clash between NST's senior Japanese staff and American staff. Eventually the title became the cuter 'Wii Crush', but that was also deemed unsatisfactory. By the time Project HAMMER/Wii Crush was cancelled a number of staff had resigned and many others were made redundant. Following that cancellation, NST have only been trusted with digital games, application development and a couple of ports for 3DS.

If the situation at Retro Studios were similar to NST - a large project invested in, millions of dollars spent and years wasted - then Nintendo would not now trust them with a high profile game. I'd suggest this supports the idea Retro have come to or are coming to the end of one project as they now get ready to take on Metroid Prime 4. It's not known until something is revealed and dated, but it seems clear to me Nintendo still trust Retro. Even if a game was cancelled or underwent a difficult development cycle (one or both scenarios have presumably happened), they haven't lost the trust of Nintendo's senior management the way NST did.

Nintendo wouldn't continue to throw money and a prestigious project at Retro if there was clear evidence they weren't capable of delivering the game. NST's history shows Nintendo aren't afraid to downsize studios who aren't up to scratch.

Around the Network
Peh said:
melbye said:

According to Wikipedia, Monolith Soft has about 184 employees whereas Retro Studio is only half as big. 

Xenoblade X development took 4 years. The development for Xenoblade 2 started right after the negative criticism of its story telling and took 3 years to finish.

But I still don't see the point you want to make other than saying that RS is way too slow in releasing their games. Other studios / publishers can throw bigger games out each year like Ubisoft with Assassins Creed.

Hashino: How much of it was handled in-house at Monolith Soft? Was the character modeling done internally?

Takahashi: Monolith Tokyo has a little less than 100 developers. Of that group, between 50% to 60% was helping Nintendo with Zelda (Breath of the Wild). Of the remaining 40 to 50 people, several were part of R&D (Research & Development), and the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 staff was made of the remaining 40-plus members.

However, we couldn’t make it with just these members, so we outsourced then revised what we got, and that was the flow of things.

Read more at https://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/02/monolith-soft-boss-talks-katsura-hashino-xenoblade-chronicles-2-development-struggles/#T5PeUULGDv5uj3UY.99

Asriel said:

If the situation at Retro Studios were similar to NST - a large project invested in, millions of dollars spent and years wasted - then Nintendo would not now trust them with a high profile game. I'd suggest this supports the idea Retro have come to or are coming to the end of one project as they now get ready to take on Metroid Prime 4. It's not known until something is revealed and dated, but it seems clear to me Nintendo still trust Retro. Even if a game was cancelled or underwent a difficult development cycle (one or both scenarios have presumably happened), they haven't lost the trust of Nintendo's senior management the way NST did.

Nintendo wouldn't continue to throw money and a prestigious project at Retro if there was clear evidence they weren't capable of delivering the game. NST's history shows Nintendo aren't afraid to downsize studios who aren't up to scratch.

Exactly my point. 

I assume that Nintendo went to Bandai Namco, because Retro was during a crucial development time of their project and couldn't focus on MP4. 

melbye said:
Peh said:

Hashino: How much of it was handled in-house at Monolith Soft? Was the character modeling done internally?

Takahashi: Monolith Tokyo has a little less than 100 developers. Of that group, between 50% to 60% was helping Nintendo with Zelda (Breath of the Wild). Of the remaining 40 to 50 people, several were part of R&D (Research & Development), and the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 staff was made of the remaining 40-plus members.

However, we couldn’t make it with just these members, so we outsourced then revised what we got, and that was the flow of things.

Read more at https://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/02/monolith-soft-boss-talks-katsura-hashino-xenoblade-chronicles-2-development-struggles/#T5PeUULGDv5uj3UY.99

Yes, I am aware of this article.  What do you want to say?

Peh said:
melbye said:

Clearly the Xenoblade 2 development-team wasn't that big

melbye said:
Peh said:

Clearly the Xenoblade 2 development-team wasn't that big

Never said it was. 

I just stated how many employees both studios have (Not developers). I am aware Monolith Soft was working on other stuff aswell, as they also were outsourcing development due to lack of own resources. 

Since I don't know how many developers or teams Retro Studio has nor do I know their projects, I didn't even went for a direct comparision. Since, you know, it goes nowhere without having all the data. 

And telling me the number of developers on the projects at Monolith Soft still doesn't tell me anything about what is going on at Retro Studios.