By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Do You Believe is the Status of Retro's Other Project(s)?

What Happened to Retro's Other Project(s)?

They have a game almost d... 37 64.91%

Retro is splitting up its... 3 5.26%

They had a project cancelled by Nintendo. 17 29.82%

Total:57
melbye said:

Everything Amy says makes sense to me at least. I want to add that it would have been much better if Nintendo and Retro had announced whatever they have been working on and that it is being released soon and  then make the announcement that Retro has taken over Metroid Prime 4, but since they didn't do that i can only conclude that there is nothing to show

We're past the point of even debating Retro ... this is just blatant hypocrisy. If you're going to shut down anyone who criticizes your point on a forum with some neutral garbage, don't argue with others in the first place.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

If that's how you want to take that, then thats your prerogative. I've given reasons for every argument I have. Take that for what you will

It's not my prerogative, that's literally what you did. You argued with someone a lot for holding a belief, and then when yours is challenged you just say "well, your perspective makes sense for you and blah blah blah". If that was the case, you should have never started an argument with the first person in the first place, or anyone on this site for that matter. 

Nah. I've given everyone who has responded to me explanations of where I'm coming from. That much is obvious. You might not agree with me and view it in a specific way, once again thats your prerogative, but it is what it is. We share different opinions and there's no need to be taking it as personally as you are right now. I stand by not getting why Retro is being hyped up, you see it a different way. Not sure what the conflict is here.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

melbye said:

Everything Amy says makes sense to me at least. I want to add that it would have been much better if Nintendo and Retro had announced whatever they have been working on and that it is being released soon and  then make the announcement that Retro has taken over Metroid Prime 4, but since they didn't do that i can only conclude that there is nothing to show

We're past the point of even debating Retro ... this is just blatant hypocrisy. If you're going to shut down anyone who criticizes your point on a forum with some neutral garbage, don't argue with others in the first place.

I am just giving my opinion on this situation i don't expect you to conform to it.

PwerlvlAmy said:

It's not my prerogative, that's literally what you did. You argued with someone a lot for holding a belief, and then when yours is challenged you just say "well, your perspective makes sense for you and blah blah blah". If that was the case, you should have never started an argument with the first person in the first place, or anyone on this site for that matter. 

Nah. I've given everyone who has responded to me explanations of where I'm coming from. That much is obvious. You might not agree with me and view it in a specific way, once again thats your prerogative, but it is what it is. We share different opinions and there's no need to be taking it as personally as you are right now. I stand by not getting why Retro is being hyped up, you see it a different way. Not sure what the conflict is here.

I'm not taking it personally ... this is just a pattern you do all the time. You spew neutral garbage to lay off any criticism of a point you make, but you then freely criticize other people's points. Not only that, but you continue to keep talking as if I'm even arguing Retro right now, when you know I'm not. I'm arguing your stance on "well, you view this one way and I view it another so we should never have conflict in our opinions". If that's really how you feel, you should have never argued against ARamdomGamer in the first place. Because this is something I've seen you do on many topics, you argue against other people's ideas but when your ideas are criticized you revert back to the "well, this is just my opinion and I see things differently". Yes, it is just your opinion .. just like everyones posts on this site are just their opinions. If that's how you view it, don't start criticizing other people's perspectives in the first place! 

PwerlvlAmy said:

I'm not taking it personally ... this is just a pattern you do all the time. You spew neutral garbage to lay off any criticism of a point you make, but you then freely criticize other people's points. Not only that, but you continue to keep talking as if I'm even arguing Retro right now, when you know I'm not. I'm arguing your stance on "well, you view this one way and I view it another so we should never have conflict in our opinions". If that's really how you feel, you should have never argued against ARamdomGamer in the first place. Because this is something I've seen you do on many topics, you argue against other people's ideas but when your ideas are criticized you revert back to the "well, this is just my opinion and I see things differently". Yes, it is just your opinion .. just like everyones posts on this site are just their opinions. If that's how you view it, don't start criticizing other people's perspectives in the first place! 

This is not taking it personally? I suggest simmering down please

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
I really don't get why people are so hyped for Retro Studios on MP4. They've literally done nothing but Donkey Kong games and all their ''secret'' projects never have come to fruition. They've literally done nothing. Also count the fact that nearly all the developers that worked on Prime arent' even at Retro anymore.

I think all their secret projects either

1. Never existed
2. Exist but are now on hiatus due to MP4 work
3. Canned now that they're working on MP4

Finally someone who doesn't blindy praise Retro Studios for being Retro Studios, alias that highly acclaimed Texas based studio that created Metroid Prime, the Citizen Kane of video games.

Jumpin said:
IMO, they had something in development, and it failed to impress Nintendo. Rumour of the studio's imminent closure came up last year, and why not? The studio is a failed venture from a business standpoint.

It's likely Nintendo is sacrificing Metroid on them to avoid an EA-style PR disaster when closing the studio. Fans are far more likely to support the studio shut down if they fail with a much anticipated game.

I honestly wouldn't miss Retro Studios if they get shut down, the people behind Prime trilogy are long gone and then again only Prime 1 was truly groundbreaking in my opinion. Retro has failed to come up with an original IP yet here are some people who praise it as "the new Rareware", hell some even give Retro all the credit for Mario Kart 7...What? Maybe it's Nintendo's fault for not giving them freedom but then again why would they if

1. Retro seems to be incapable of finishing a project.

2. All the fans want from Retro is Metroid, anything else not Metroid gets shitted on like DKCR.

Despite all this, if Nintendo decides to to shut down Retro Studios Nintendo will be blamed for all of Retro's failures for not giving them "more creative freedom"! i.e. more Metroid Prime!

melbye said:
They've probably had a lot of projects not going anywhere. We will see what happens with Metroid now, but that studio has completely failed to live up to it's early legacy in the last 10 years in my opinion. Donkey Kong were not bad games, but in my opinion they are nothing spectacular either.

Im my opinion DKCR is fantastic and i hope Retro gets to work on DKCR 3 before Nintendo closes it's doors cause i've had more fun with DCKR than Prime 2 that's for sure. But yeah the studio has an overhyped reputation for basically, Metroid Prime and that's it... Nobody seems to care about DKCR.

mZuzek said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

All the current team has even done is  DK lately. The current Retro, having done nothing since Tropical Freeze have not proved they're capable of handling a Metroid type of project. Retro has been absent like the last 5 years, I don't see the hype in a team thats missing most of the original prime members,trying to make a Prime game. 

And how fit were they to make Donkey Kong games 10 years ago? After all, all they had ever worked on was Metroid, surely they couldn't translate that work into a 2D platformer, right?

Wrong. Well, okay, maybe DKCR is a considerable step down from the Prime trilogy, but it was still a very good game, and then Tropical Freeze was as good as any Prime game. Furthermore, Tropical Freeze also has a surprisingly good atmosphere for a 2D platformer, which is something that would translate well back to Metroid, and they have shown amazing care to level design throughout. The point here is, it really doesn't matter if the old staff is back or not (heck why can't new people make a good Prime game anyway?), because so far Retro has shown us that they can come up with the goods regardless of what they're developing - something that could be proved even further if Star Fox Grand Prix is real and turns out good.

I mean, yeah, maybe you're right and they're unfit to work on Metroid Prime at the moment. But beyond the points I made, I doubt Nintendo would hand this to an(other) incapable team, especially after reports that it was Retro who pitched a demo for it and impressed Nintendo. Sure, just a rumor, but still, everything else I've said applies.

It's funny how Prime fans love to attack Nintendo for not giving Retro more creative freedom yet here they are expecting yet another Prime game from them and this has been going on forever. Fans need to stop believing Retro Studios owes them Prime games. Retro Studios was not bought out by Nintendo exclusively for Metroid they were supposed to give us like 5 or more so original IP games but since they were all shitty projects they got canned and only focused on Metroid Prime. We got a Trilogy and then we got a reboot/sequel of DKC which was fantastic and soles miles better.

The developers of Prime were tired of making solely Metroid Prime games and on top of that didn't sell well, it's probably one the reasons why they decided to leave Retro aside from the chaotic work conditions and tight deadlines over at Retro Studios.

sethnintendo said:
I don't know what Retro been doing. Sitting on their asses smoking a bunch of weed in Austin is my guess. They what did a port and helped a few franchises past couple years?

Yup, seems most likely scenario.

Last edited by Snoorlax - on 26 January 2019

Amy's argument normally wouldn't make sense, because studios change employees all the time. Most people that get into game development burn out after three to four years. But Retro hasn't put anything out for 4 years now. Yes, we know that most of the Prime team is gone now. But the real question is, are the Tropical Freeze guys still there? If nothing gets announced, from them, at this year's E3 I'm just going to assume that Retro Studios fell apart in the four years since Tropical Freeze came out.

Oh, and just to be clear, if you can make a great platformer like Tropical Freeze you can make a Prime game. It's just a puzzle based, metroidvania FPS. The controls in the prime games are so standard now that many game engines have a prefab called FPS control, or FPS object. It isn't like 2001, when you had to program all that yourself. Puzzle based level design is a staple of the industry now. Tons of indie groups with almost no game dev experience have managed to put out fantastic metroidvanias in the past few years. 

And just one more thing. I'd love to see Retro do with 2D Metroid, what they did with Donkey Kong Country. DKC Returns, and Tropical Freeze both blow the old SNES games out of the water. Now just imagine a 2D Metroid game that made Super Metroid blush. And honestly for all we know that is what is currently being worked on. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 26 January 2019

mZuzek said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

And just one more thing. I'd love to see Retro do with 2D Metroid, what they did with Donkey Kong Country. DKC Returns, and Tropical Freeze both blow the old SNES games out of the water. Now just imagine a 2D Metroid game that made Super Metroid blush. And honestly for all we know that is what is currently being worked on. 

Yes, of course. When they announced "Metroid Prime 4" they clearly meant a 2D Metroid.

Also, no Metroid game is ever going to come close to Super Metroid, it's just not gonna happen. Not because it's impossible, but because Nintendo doesn't know how to. They don't really understand what made Super Metroid so great, and they've shown it by failing to recapture its qualities in every game since. That isn't to say the other Metroid games aren't great, because they are, but they're not touching Super.

Shhhhh. Just let me have my dream!

But yeah, it's probably a 3D game. Like 95% chance it will be 3D like the last Prime games. But I can dream can't I?

Don't forget, everyone, that in the GameCube days Retro Studios were basically in the same situation it was now. They canned all their former projects, including E3 showcase Raven Blade, and focused on the development of Metroid Prime, a game with a very troubled production schedule.

In fact the three Metroid Prime games had troubled development cycles and were delayed, or development had to be rushed to meet a deadline. Metroid Prime 2 indeed was basically a beta morphed into a final release. Nothing new under the sun.