By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 sales surpass 91.6 million, Spiderman over 9 million

colafitte said:
DonFerrari said:

5.9M to 5.6M what a big drop from the cliff =p

People had very bad memory in these kind of forums. People (and some very important insiders) ,12 months ago, were expecting Switch to dominate and PS4 to drop to pre 2015 levels. Then Switch sold more than PS4 in NPD January 2018 and with LABO coming and Smash announced with serious doubts about GOW launch, people started dooming PS4 more than ever. But here we are and we can see PS4 still has sold a lot, most probably more than any other competitor (or kind of competitor if you want ) and is on pace to be the fastest home console reaching 100M sold. 

So yes, we should expect PS4 droping in sales this year, of course, but PS4 is not going to drop from a cliff in 2019. Going from 20M in 2017 to 18M in 2018 to 16-17M in 2019 is the best thing a home console entering its 6th year can possibly do. 

You mean the same people that later said Nintendo wasn't ever expecting much sales from Labo and that it would skyrocket in the holidays (have it?)???

Or several people that found it was impossible that PS4 stood out ahead of Switch this year?

Or people that are certain that Switch is eating away PS4 and that will be the reason for its sales to decline in 2019?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Spiderman is at 9mil? jeeeesus.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Over 9... million?

I didnt think Spiderman PS4 would sell this well.

Hunting Season is done...

DonFerrari said:
colafitte said:

People had very bad memory in these kind of forums. People (and some very important insiders) ,12 months ago, were expecting Switch to dominate and PS4 to drop to pre 2015 levels. Then Switch sold more than PS4 in NPD January 2018 and with LABO coming and Smash announced with serious doubts about GOW launch, people started dooming PS4 more than ever. But here we are and we can see PS4 still has sold a lot, most probably more than any other competitor (or kind of competitor if you want ) and is on pace to be the fastest home console reaching 100M sold. 

So yes, we should expect PS4 droping in sales this year, of course, but PS4 is not going to drop from a cliff in 2019. Going from 20M in 2017 to 18M in 2018 to 16-17M in 2019 is the best thing a home console entering its 6th year can possibly do. 

You mean the same people that later said Nintendo wasn't ever expecting much sales from Labo and that it would skyrocket in the holidays (have it?)???

Or several people that found it was impossible that PS4 stood out ahead of Switch this year?

Or people that are certain that Switch is eating away PS4 and that will be the reason for its sales to decline in 2019?

Probably yes..., it's very good to have selective memory i guess. You remember things when it benefits you and forget them if not. I wish more people accepted the fact that being correct predicting things in the future is very difficult, and you can be wrong. And if time passes and time proves you wrong, then accept it and move on. I for my part I would never laugh at anybody if their prediction becomes totally wrong. It's good to have different perspectives too. You can took ideas from others that way. But we should learn from the past too and not repeat mistakes. And we should learn that holiday season does not work the same for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo as the rest of the year, so base a prediction on what happens during November and December and expecting that pace to translate to months like January, February, May or June next year, neglecting what happened the rest of the year in prevous years is a mistake, in my opinion.

Zoombael said:
Over 9... million?

I hadn't really paid much notice to Spiderman sales but I had to wonder if this 9 million number was a typo; that's double what I would have expected.

Like... wow!

Around the Network

Wow spiderman. Goddamn lol

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Zoombael said:
Over 9... million?

.....and thats as of November 25, 2018. (like 3months? to do 9m+)

Add in december and its probably 11-12m by now (1 week into jan).

I know not all of these are exclusives, but the PS4 still has:
KH3
Sekiro
MK11
Ghost of Tsushima
Days Gone
DMC5
Doom: Eternal
Anthem
Death Stranding
Cyberpunk
Control
Final Fantasy VII
Shenmue 3
...and many others

Most likely still coming. It's possible a couple of those don't release on the console, but unlikely. Not sure how much they will all affect sales, but there are certainly still games coming that people are looking forward to.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

colafitte said:
DonFerrari said:

Probably yes..., it's very good to have selective memory i guess. You remember things when it benefits you and forget them if not. I wish more people accepted the fact that being correct predicting things in the future is very difficult, and you can be wrong. And if time passes and time proves you wrong, then accept it and move on. I for my part I would never laugh at anybody if their prediction becomes totally wrong. It's good to have different perspectives too. You can took ideas from others that way. But we should learn from the past too and not repeat mistakes. And we should learn that holiday season does not work the same for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo as the rest of the year, so base a prediction on what happens during November and December and expecting that pace to translate to months like January, February, May or June next year, neglecting what happened the rest of the year in prevous years is a mistake, in my opinion.

Yep you are right. And it mostly depends on the premise of the prediction and reasoning.

If you use lies or wrong things to make a prediction than you should be called out in the present not in the future anyway.

But if you use historical data, market trends, competition, what is being offered and etc and make a prediction if you are 50% above or bellow what it end up occuring that isn't reason for mockery. Unless of course you are like seeing PS4 selling 17.5M on 2016 and sales curve would say it would probably be over that in 2017 and instead of predicting 17-20M (flat to up) you put 15M then you may be target for mockery as you made a very odd prediction =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Evilms said:

Second best calendar year for PS4.

Beast and that's with only 1 month of promotions. They could have beaten 2017 if they wanted. 2019 will be as good as they want. So much room to price cut if needs be. The ball is in Sony's Court.