By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 sales surpass 91.6 million, Spiderman over 9 million

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

You may not see, and I don't have anything to say you are wrong. That is the reason I said if Sony want to do it. They could even go crazy and sell for 99 while costing 149 if they see it as a way to tail it out if PS5 is BC and just capture some late buyers on the platform to get PS+ revenue.

Its kinda possible. But......

The essentials are APU/RAM/HDD/BRD/Controller. Now at best (and this is being very optimistic) it cost them like $20 fr each f those components. Thats already $100 right there and you have not factored in other things like cooling/assembly/packaging/cables/PSU/PCB/Supporting chips and memory.......etc.

And remember, that $100 is being extremely generous because the APU/RAM/BRD/BRD all cost n less than around $25 each. Definitely not $20.

Best they can do if they really want to butcher the system is take out the HDD and put in like 256GB emmc nand flash drive (and the cheap slow kind) and d away with the disc drive.  Maybe then they can get it to $99.

Guess you skipped a little... sell for 99 what would cost 149 to make. Get the profit from added PS+ customer, SW and capturing people for PS5 in the future.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Intrinsic said:

Its kinda possible. But......

The essentials are APU/RAM/HDD/BRD/Controller. Now at best (and this is being very optimistic) it cost them like $20 fr each f those components. Thats already $100 right there and you have not factored in other things like cooling/assembly/packaging/cables/PSU/PCB/Supporting chips and memory.......etc.

And remember, that $100 is being extremely generous because the APU/RAM/BRD/BRD all cost n less than around $25 each. Definitely not $20.

Best they can do if they really want to butcher the system is take out the HDD and put in like 256GB emmc nand flash drive (and the cheap slow kind) and d away with the disc drive.  Maybe then they can get it to $99.

Guess you skipped a little... sell for 99 what would cost 149 to make. Get the profit from added PS+ customer, SW and capturing people for PS5 in the future.

Nobody sells hardware at a loss late in a consoles life, that's a strategy for the first couple years.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

colafitte said:
This pretty much confirms Spiderman is more than 10M sold to consumers worldwide...what a success....

No kidding. Its selling as well as BotW or Odyssey. Sales number like those pretty much confirm a sequel! And Insomniac has always been good at pumping out sequels. They've usually managed a new Ratchet and Clank every two to three years. 

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Nobody sells hardware at a loss late in a consoles life, that's a strategy for the first couple years.

Because nobody expected much sales on SW to offset the loses. But if they see potential revenue on PS+ for several years and a way to lock to PS5 they MAY do it. That is just supposition.

Myself I think they won't drop bellow 199 regular price with limited 149 promotions (maybe, just maybe a firesale at 99 on the HW with some added SW to break even on all).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

Because nobody expected much sales on SW to offset the loses. But if they see potential revenue on PS+ for several years and a way to lock to PS5 they MAY do it. That is just supposition.

Myself I think they won't drop bellow 199 regular price with limited 149 promotions (maybe, just maybe a firesale at 99 on the HW with some added SW to break even on all).

^ this.

PS4 & XB1, probably wont go below 149$ in their lifetimes.