By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 sales surpass 91.6 million, Spiderman over 9 million

PotentHerbs said:
Spiderman is an absolute beast! 20 Million lifetime is achievable!

PS4 doing PS things. 100 Million sold without a permanent price cut! Has a console ever reached this benchmark with a price this high? I think people are underestimating what a price drop would do for the PS4. Especially in Europe + ROTW.

I believe it was only given a usd$50 price cut/also in £€¥ to the same value or around it, I know in Japan it was m a bit more expensive until Sony brought the price down to match the world recently. 

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
Depending on PS5 release/announcement. PS4 should be hitting 100m this year. It should catch the Wii, but wont catch PS2 though,but then again what will?

Yep. Not only PS4 will catch Wii, but it will pass it by 7-8M, easily, by the end of the year.   Right now PS4 just passed 92M, so we are not expecting PS4 to sell less than 9M by the end of 2019 right, with a price cut incoming ? Wii only sold 101M and something, so maths are very easy. We shouldn't even discuss about it, it's obvious.

PS2 numbers ? mmm, not possible, but 130M+ by the end of PS4 life cycle is something that can be discussed, and it's actually my forecast.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

PotentHerbs said:

PS4 doing PS things. 100 Million sold without a permanent price cut! Has a console ever reached this benchmark with a price this high? I think people are underestimating what a price drop would do for the PS4. Especially in Europe + ROTW.

20 million lifetime ?! Yeah : D End of 2019, my predicion... 15 million units.

Nate4Drake said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
Depending on PS5 release/announcement. PS4 should be hitting 100m this year. It should catch the Wii, but wont catch PS2 though,but then again what will?

Yep. Not only PS4 will catch Wii, but it will pass it by 7-8M, easily, by the end of the year.   Right now PS4 just passed 92M, so we are not expecting PS4 to sell less than 9M by the end of 2019 right, with a price cut incoming ? Wii only sold 101M and something, so maths are very easy. We shouldn't even discuss about it, it's obvious.

PS2 numbers ? mmm, not possible, but 130M+ by the end of PS4 life cycle is something that can be discussed, and it's actually my forecast.

PS2 numbers, thats hard. But i hope it for the PlayStation 4, best GAMES-CONSOLE is the last years. So many fantastic west-and japanese games, i'm very happy.

PotentHerbs said:

Right, PS4 has been available in India for the same price and even increased in price sometime between in the last 3 years. I'm talking of the 500 GB version. The 1 TB costs a lot more, it costs a $100 more and has increased in price since release.

we still have people lowballing PS4 so late in the gen, I don't even want to see what they would forecast before this gen started.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
we still have people lowballing PS4 so late in the gen, I don't even want to see what they would forecast before this gen started.

I think some people can't accept the fact that PS4 will do better than Wii and Gameboy. That's all. Fanboy thing a a scary thing.

Last edited by Keiji - on 17 January 2019

Keiji said:
DonFerrari said:

I think some people can't accept the fact that PS4 will do better than Wii and Gameboy. That's all. Fanboy thing a a scary thing.

I wouldn't say it is a fanboy thing. But it scares me when someone have seem sales curve of a lot of systems in VGC and thinks PS4 will just drop dead instantly.

twintail said:
DonFerrari said:

yeah it is pretty bizarre.

no matter what form the PS5 takes, PS4 could easily sell decently for a t least a year (if not more) after the PS5 launches. it is not going not going to miraculously stop selling

Even if PS4 sells less than 5M after PS5 releases (I think not even PS3 sold so little, and it was very streached gen with saturation maxed) they would still pass Wii with ease due to PS5 not being even revealed in less than 6 months and released in less than 12m. And they will sell 10M between 6 and 12 months.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Keiji said:

I wouldn't say it is a fanboy thing. But it scares me when someone have seem sales curve of a lot of systems in VGC and thinks PS4 will just drop dead instantly.

twintail said:

yeah it is pretty bizarre.

no matter what form the PS5 takes, PS4 could easily sell decently for a t least a year (if not more) after the PS5 launches. it is not going not going to miraculously stop selling

Even if PS4 sells less than 5M after PS5 releases (I think not even PS3 sold so little, and it was very streached gen with saturation maxed) they would still pass Wii with ease due to PS5 not being even revealed in less than 6 months and released in less than 12m. And they will sell 10M between 6 and 12 months.

This is really playing down at the highest levels :D

Don't expect anything less than 106-108M by end of 2019.   Don't expect anything less than 12-13M sold in 2020, which makes around 120M by the end of 2020. 

PS4 will sell in 2021 as well, and a bit also in 2022.  130M+ is always my forecast for the end of its life cycle.   You wanna be very pessimistic ? you can place a bet with everybody about 125M sold, mark my words, and quote me again at the end of this Gen, with a smile on your face ;)

Last edited by Nate4Drake - on 18 January 2019

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Nate4Drake said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't expect anything less than 106-108M by end of 2019.   Don't expect anything less than 12-13M sold in 2020, which makes around 120M by the end of 2020. 

PS4 will sell in 2021 as well, and a bit also in 2022.  130M+ is always my forecast for the end of its life cycle.   You wanna be very pessimistic ? you can place a bet with everybody about 125M sold, mark my words, and quote me again at the end of this Gen, with a smile on your face ;)

Yep, I find it very hard that PS4 will sell less than 120M. I think even Wii with monstrous drop sold 9M after the announcement of WiiU.

DonFerrari said:
Nate4Drake said:

Yep, I find it very hard that PS4 will sell less than 120M. I think even Wii with monstrous drop sold 9M after the announcement of WiiU.

I expect between 108M and 120M sold by the time the PS5 releases; based on a March 2020 or Nov 2020 release respectively.

As for sales after the PS5 releases, I expect the droop to be more than it has ever been in playstation history. So say around 15M of extra sales spread out through 2021 to 2023 after which I expect the PS4 t be discontinued, which should bring its Lifetime total to around 123M to 135M.

The reason for this drop will be BC. I believe the PS5 will have BC with the PS4, PS3, PS2 and PS1.

More importantly BC means that current PS4 owners will have very little reason to hold onto their PS4s. That means a lot, because as the rapid uptake of PS5 begins over its first 2 years there will also be a marked increase in used PS4s and PS4pros on the market. These used consoles will no doubt be cheaper than whatever price the PS4 will officially be at the time. We are talking people being able to get a PS4 for as little as $130 and a Pro for as little as $220. That will no doubt affect sales of brand new hardware.  

I also expect the PS5 initial uptake (first 3 years) to be even more aggressive than that of the PS4. Even though I expect the PS5 will come at a launch price of $499.