By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 sales surpass 91.6 million, Spiderman over 9 million

zorg1000 said:
Zombie9ers said:
Rumor has it that The Last of Us: Part 2 is releasing in 2019. I think it may release in the fall- around September- about 6 months after Days Gone’s release to give that game some breathing room. If Sony bundles TLOU2 for Black Friday and the holidays at that $199 price point - it’s going to move a ton of consoles!

It will certainly be a solid mover during the holidays but sales will diminish being the 3rd year of $199 bundles.

2016-$249+Uncharted 4

2017-$199

2018-$199+Spider-Man

2016 saw PS4 sell 6.2 million in the holiday season

2017 saw PS4 sell 5.9 million in the holiday season

2018 saw PS4 sell 5.6 million in the holiday season

Holiday sales have decreased from 2016-2018 despite having better deals, which isnt a bad thing, its completely expected out of a console to decline in the 5th & 6th holiday seasons and I'm expecting that trend to continue regardless of how good the bundles/price cuts are this year.

If PS4 does 5'3M in holiday season 2019 it will be an enormous success. Even if it does 5'0M. It will be the last big holiday sales for PS4 though because next year should be PS5 launch aiming for 5'0M sold before year ends. 

Around the Network
colafitte said:
zorg1000 said:

It will certainly be a solid mover during the holidays but sales will diminish being the 3rd year of $199 bundles.

2016-$249+Uncharted 4

2017-$199

2018-$199+Spider-Man

Holiday sales have decreased from 2016-2018 despite having better deals, which isnt a bad thing, its completely expected out of a console to decline in the 5th & 6th holiday seasons and I'm expecting that trend to continue regardless of how good the bundles/price cuts are this year.

If PS4 does 5'3M in holiday season 2019 it will be an enormous success. Even if it does 5'0M. It will be the last big holiday sales for PS4 though because next year should be PS5 launch aiming for 5'0M sold before year ends. 

Absolutely, those would be very good sales even for a console in its prime.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:

What i think is going to happen this year is that PS4 is going to do better than expected in 2019(thanks to a pricecut and even if not), until holiday season comes and then, the old legs of PS4 will be noticeable and no deals will be able to disguise that.

colafitte said:
zorg1000 said:

What i think is going to happen this year is that PS4 is going to do better than expected in 2019(thanks to a pricecut and even if not), until holiday season comes and then, the old legs of PS4 will be noticeable and no deals will be able to disguise that.

A price cut (Slim-$249/Pro-$349) can definitely help keep sales relatively stable through the regular months but it would also make a $199 bundle during the holidays less of a big deal so I agree that its age will definitely start to show.

It will still sell great in 2019, I'm guessing like ~15 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:

A price cut (Slim-$249/Pro-$349) can definitely help keep sales relatively stable through the regular months but it would also make a $199 bundle during the holidays less of a big deal so I agree that its age will definitely start to show.

Yeah, 15-16M is reasonable with just a 50$ discout. I agree. To reach 16-17M levels it needs a better discount.

Around the Network
colafitte said:
zorg1000 said:

Yeah, 15-16M is reasonable with just a 50$ discout. I agree. To reach 16-17M levels it needs a better discount.

Ya a $199/299 cut for Slim/Pro would be needed and I just cant see Sony giving them that big of a permanent price cut.

zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:

Ya a $199/299 cut for Slim/Pro would be needed and I just cant see Sony giving them that big of a permanent price cut.

Yeah, when i said that the other day maybe i was too much optimistic, mostly knowing how Sony is acting recently is not going to happen. 16M is a better prediction.

Zombie9ers said:
Days Gone’s release..

"Days Gone" is coming in april, cant wait of this Survival-Adventure : D

Kingdom Hearts 3 and Resident Evil 2 remake push PS4 sales strong in January - that's my forecast :) Especially in japan.

zorg1000 said:
Zombie9ers said:
Rumor has it that The Last of Us: Part 2 is releasing in 2019. I think it may release in the fall- around September- about 6 months after Days Gone’s release to give that game some breathing room. If Sony bundles TLOU2 for Black Friday and the holidays at that $199 price point - it’s going to move a ton of consoles!

2016-$249+Uncharted 4

2017-$199

2018-$199+Spider-Man

Honestly I dont think it would make any kinda difference.

If TLOU2 were released off holiday season I see it resulting in no more than a 400k global spike in sales if at all.... and thats because of saturation. Right now the real sales driver will be price and not the game. If Sony drops the price to say $199 over november and december this year then they culd g n to have the best holiday sales in the PS4s history but numbers will drop right back down to whatever they will be for the next upcoming months.

colafitte said:
zorg1000 said:

Yeah, when i said that the other day maybe i was too much optimistic, mostly knowing how Sony is acting recently is not going to happen. 16M is a better prediction.

Haha...... you guys think 16M? 

I think the PS4 is going to do 15M this year. And sony is going to announce shipment total fr the FY of 16M.

And the reason it will d only 15M is because sony will not cut the price of the PS4 till november if at all. Or at best just do the same promotional $199 bundle again. 

I am calling it, as long as this year sales stay above 2014 sales sony will not drop the price.