By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 sales surpass 91.6 million, Spiderman over 9 million

elazz said:
MasonADC said:
Very nice ps4 numbers, however I kinda expected more from Spiderman. I wonder why the numbers arent to the end of the year? Still good nonetheless

I don't see how you can expect more from spider man. You can add another million or so until now. it's over 10m already with some more sales to come in 2019.

Many were expecting it to do not more than 5m and for some that was already a long shot. People changed their expectations after the first week sales to crazy proportions not realizing this is gonna be one of the best selling games on playstation ever. It won't surpass RDR, GTA V or Black Ops 3 but is on the level of Uncharted 4, FIFA 18, Call of Duty WW2 and to our spider man on that level is crazy. 

After 3 million in 3 days, plus the bundle, I expected around 12 million.However it should reach 15 Nikon atleast in the end anyways 

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
flashfire926 said:
I still stand by of my prediction of Spiderman becoming the best-selling Playstation exclusive of all time (on a single console), beating Gran Turismo 3, has a good chance of happening.

I remember when I made the prediction I got response like "lol no" or "thats way too high". Crow is going to be served.

God of War and The Last Of Us Part II should also beat the 14.89m of GT3. Well..... GOW should just screech by, while TLOU II should do it with little trouble.

And a certain company said single player games are dead.........

UltimateGamer1982 said:
KingofTrolls said:
So 18 milion this year.

It did 18 million in 2018. It’s gonna do less than that this year. 15-16.3 million. 

Sales fell off a cliff in North America for December. Most likely didn’t even hit 1mil. 

I wouldnt call in from 1M in dec 2017 to 800k in dec 2019 "falling off a cliff". If it did say 600k then yeah that phrase will apply.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
colafitte said:
I'm expecting the second important price cut for PS4 this year, maybe 200$ for base PS4 and 300$ for PS4 Pro. So, because i don't expect Nintendo doing any price cut for Switch in 2019 (only if the sales are not as good as expected), i expect 2019 to be really close between PS4 and Switch again. PS4 should at least be able to reach 17M with that price cut, and if TLOU Part II launches in 2019...., it's almost a guarantee.

Veeery much doubt that.

1. I don't think the PS4 will drop that much in price outside of promotions. 50$ each is way more probable

2. PS4 doesn't have the same lineup of great games and recognizable IP this time around. It's not bad, but can't compete with last year's MHW, GoW or Spiderman, to just name a few.

3. Switch not doing any pricecut while in their third year would be pretty much unheard of. I don't expect very much to be fair (299$ with a game included, 269$ becoming a new base model plus a 299$ Model with bigger internal memory (64GiB or 128GiB, depending on how fast Flash Memory gets cheaper) but no game or just a Free to Start with maybe some store credits and/or unique items/skins preinstalled. That's not very much of a pricedrop, but hey, it's something.

4. 17M are a lot. PS4 made 18M this year, and that's 2M less despite it's stellar game releases this year. I said I expected 13-15M in another thread and I'm willing to extend that maybe to 16M, but that's really maximum, even with TLOU II. Market really starts to get saturated, I'm sure sales will drop off quite a bit in the following months compared to last year.

1. 17M is based on that price cut. If PS4 does not receive that then it will be around 16M.

2. First half of the year already has KH3, RE2, DMC5, Anthem, The Division 2, Rage,... And TLOU 2 is bigger than GOW and Spiderman, so yes, if it launches in 2019, between that, days gone, dreams and maybe death stranding 2019 could be even better lineup wise.

3. Fair point. I just think Nintendo is going to prefer less sales but a higher profit like all the companies are doing right now. If switch repeats or surpass 2018 sales it shouldn't need a price cut.

4. PS4 is perfectly capable of doing 16-17M next year. It's a Playstation console and there is no ps5 or Xbox next yet in the horizon. It still going to sell a LOT. People should not underestimate what PS4 is capable to do as time has proved. 

Intrinsic said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

It did 18 million in 2018. It’s gonna do less than that this year. 15-16.3 million. 

Sales fell off a cliff in North America for December. Most likely didn’t even hit 1mil. 

I wouldnt call in from 1M in dec 2017 to 800k in dec 2019 "falling off a cliff". If it did say 600k then yeah that phrase will apply.

And besides, this year there wasn't any deals in December like last year, so it was sold at 300$ all the month. If PS4 has sold between 700k-1M it should be fine. Benji and other insiders are focused in US sales and that's why they sound a little down, but people have to accept PS relies less in US than Nintendo and Xbox. PS4 still sold a lot in December worldwide. The hard fact is that last year PS4 sold 5'9M and this year 5'6M in the same period of time. That's all you need to know.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

Time to update the chart!

We're told to hit that "agree" button to support and show what things we appreciate most on the site.

But for some reason, it doesn't register my click so this comment is to show my appreciation.

Shadow1980 said:

Time to update the chart!

That playstations are durable over time unlike other consoles, this graph proves it so well.

Evilms said:

Second best calendar year for PS4.

But seems like Switch have eaten a lot of PS4 marketshare and is responsible for the sales dropping (mind you some people expect sales to keep increasing forever)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

colafitte said:
Intrinsic said:

And besides, this year there wasn't any deals in December like last year, so it was sold at 300$ all the month. If PS4 has sold between 700k-1M it should be fine. Benji and other insiders are focused in US sales and that's why they sound a little down, but people have to accept PS relies less in US than Nintendo and Xbox. PS4 still sold a lot in December worldwide. The hard fact is that last year PS4 sold 5'9M and this year 5'6M in the same period of time. That's all you need to know.

5.9M to 5.6M what a big drop from the cliff =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
colafitte said:

5.9M to 5.6M what a big drop from the cliff =p

People had very bad memory in these kind of forums. People (and some very important insiders) ,12 months ago, were expecting Switch to dominate and PS4 to drop to pre 2015 levels. Then Switch sold more than PS4 in NPD January 2018 and with LABO coming and Smash announced with serious doubts about GOW launch, people started dooming PS4 more than ever. But here we are and we can see PS4 still has sold a lot, most probably more than any other competitor (or kind of competitor if you want ) and is on pace to be the fastest home console reaching 100M sold. 

So yes, we should expect PS4 droping in sales this year, of course, but PS4 is not going to drop from a cliff in 2019. Going from 20M in 2017 to 18M in 2018 to 16-17M in 2019 is the best thing a home console entering its 6th year can possibly do.