By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 15 December 2018

colafitte said:

Official: PS4 sells 91'6M lifetime, 5'6M during holiday season, Spiderman sold 9M, just annouced at CES....

Edit: That puts PS4 in 18M for 2018. I expected more sales from Spiderman to be honest....

Edit 2: LOL, Spiderman sales are until Nov 25, so no disappointed at all.

Source: https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2019/190108.html

91.6 sold through, wow and cudos Sony

Also worth notice are the 5.6M sold through during the holiday season alone, meaning in their terms between November 19 and December 31.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
colafitte said:

Official: PS4 sells 91'6M lifetime, 5'6M during holiday season, Spiderman sold 9M, just annouced at CES....

Edit: That puts PS4 in 18M for 2018. I expected more sales from Spiderman to be honest....

Edit 2: LOL, Spiderman sales are until Nov 25, so no disappointed at all.

Source: https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2019/190108.html

Also worth notice are the 5.6M sold through during the holiday season alone, meaning in their terms between November 19 and December 31.

Last year it was 5'7M from Nov 20 - Dec 31 if i remember correctly, so they basically did the same as last year. Knowing that PS4 did more during BF last year in USA than this year, could mean PS4 did better in December this year in USA, or maybe, it just simply did better in Europe or rest of the world....

loy310 said:
Damn XBO had a horrible year

XBO will be ~8m by the end of the year. Not as good as the PS4 but it's still selling enough to end up outselling the SNES next yeat.

colafitte said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Last year it was 5'7M from Nov 20 - Dec 31 if i remember correctly, so they basically did the same as last year. Knowing that PS4 did more during BF last year in USA than this year, could mean PS4 did better in December this year in USA, or maybe, it just simply did better in Europe or rest of the world....

Probably Europe, as sales were lagging behind there throughout the year.

Switch need 2 million next week and 1.4 in the last of the year to get to 10 million in september/december period.
Seems very unlikely, but Go switch!

Around the Network

I don't see any big turnarround. It's just Nintendo is smartly selling a mobile device with TV connection as a home console with portability. As  a mobile device they won Japan and its good as a present for kids in USA. That's why is selling so well. I woudn't compare it with PS4. It's another market. Graphics wise, power wise, you also can tell that it's a mobile device with TV connection. 

damn for this week, Switch worldwide domination.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

curl-6 said:

Holy smokes, Switch > PS4 + Xbone hardware combined.

Nintendo may have pissed away Jan-Oct this year but their holiday performance is insane.

aye outselling the competitions figures combined is a bit nuts, if you want to do some other combinations of the sales... consider 3DS and Switch sales together this week alone, 1.5million Nintendo devices in peoples hands over this week alone, any developer who has neglected putting their software onto Nintendo platforms this year have effectively halved their customer base for weeks like this one.

When you consider the amount of work which would go into a AAA game pushing for 4k textures and 7.1 sound and at the same time you have the Switch dancing back and forth between 720p and 1080p with ports of games like Doom running sub 720p as a handheld I do think this is sending a message that while some people consider 144hz and 4k to be the best things about gaming... it's rather clear from the sales figures that those gamers are most certainly in the minority as if you just compare the 3ds and X1... it would require 2 in ever 5 X1 systems sold to be the X1X or else it would mean that more gamers picked the 240p handheld system than "the most powerful 4k console".

Does introduce one issue though and that is companies like EA and Activision have used the reasoning that increased costs for newer game engines and higher resolution textures and effects are the reasons for seeing heavy monitization in already insanely overpriced games when you look at special editions of some titles being well into 3 figures, but how are they to justify those extra costs when it comes to creating titles for the Switch, just food for thought since it's fairly obvious that the little systems success will mean an increase of interest towards bringing software to the owners of the device, why would a company pump extra assets into taking a 1080p title to 4k for those niche users on Pro/X when you could invest less to strip that same title down to 720p instead and put it on the system which just sold a million and a quarter units this week.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

PwerlvlAmy said:

it..... SMASHED expectations... har har....

I'll see myself out! Good night :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

it..... SMASHED expectations... har har....

I'll see myself out! Good night :D

-bah dum tish-

I agree, it seemed to have its ULTIMATE week so far. 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick