By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 8 December 2018 (Smash Week)

Switch doing great, as promised, excelent December sales, the true strenght of Nintendo consoles.

According to this site, PS4 did the same week last year 866k. So, if it is on par of last year holiday season, PS4 is going to have a great ending of 2018, so good numbers.

XBO...., well....is there i guess.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
zorg1000 said:

But why? Wii U sold like shit, you are just making up a random reason why it's more impressive.

Because the Wii U was still a thing only 2 years ago, and the Switch isn't that different from the Wii U specs wise, Nintendo sells almost the same games as it did with the Wii U and still one is a huge failure and the other a huge success. And all happened in less than 2 years. There is still people over there who don't believe in the success of the Switch or minimise it. But it's really a blockbuster success.

It is more impressive for the Switch to sell way way more than it predecessor (it's like day and night) than the PS4 selling like most of PS consoles before it.

Wii U was a home console with a funny name and an odd controller.

Switch is a handheld, with Pokemon, successor to 3DS (and Wii U, somehow), plus it's quite new, it has in two years almost all Nintendo franchises already released for it (thanks mostly to ports) and it's selling when console buyers have already bought a PS4 and XBO as well as many Nintendo fans have skipped Wii U, have bought 3DS many years ago and are at the moment hungry for another Nintendo console after many years without buying.

NSW figures are perfectly understandable, while PS4 is a 5 year old true beast.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
SKMBlake said:

Please, not this. The console peaked just one year ago, we all know how console sales work. 

It's way more impressive to see the Switch sell 1/10 of Wii U's LT sales in one week .

I'm trying to give you an inch but you're taking a mile. 

I agree with you, it's just also understandable why some people think the PS4's sales are also impressive. Most weeks that kind of attitude annoys me as well, but here it's kind of understandable. The PS4 is just a beast of longevity. 

I think the battle is more so lifetime than it is week by week anyways, what will be more interesting is how much sales Switch can keep in year 4-6. 

Most gamers out there have already bought a PS4 or X1 and they haven't bought a Nintendo console since Wii and 3DS hot days. They're hungry for NSW that already has almost all Nintendo hot franchises on it due to many ports. NSW is just peaking early.

God bless You.

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

SKMBlake said:
zorg1000 said:

But Switch is also the successor to 3DS so comparing it exclusively to Wii U makes no sense at all.

Also PS4 is selling significantly more than its predecessor as well so your argument falls flat.

The Switch isn't the successor to the 3DS, it is sold at the same time, while the Wii U is discontinued. New games are coming for the 3DS. And the Switch is sold at the same price as the Wii U and have the same library as the Wii U, not the 3DS. That's why it makes sense.

And for your comparison Wii U/Switch vs PS3/PS4, you must be joking. The PS4 didn't outsold the PS3 in 1 year, and didn't sold twice as many in less than 2 years. It actually got 5 years to the PS4 to outsell the PS3, close to the end of the generation. So that comparison makes no sense at all.

But Wii U was a disgrace and PS3 was quite successful.

We can't compare Wii U with PS3. Wii U was abandoned and was a huge failure.

NSW has Wii U library but it also has 3DS library. Wii U didn't have Pokemon.

God bless You.

Nate4Drake said:
drinkandswim said:

It doesnt matter if I am right or wrong just stating my opinion. As a Microsoft supporter I dont think they survive
next generation unless they can improve their AAA Exclusives. Sony will survive but their numbers will be way down. Gaming is just moving towards more mobile. Now maybe Sony or Microsoft will have a hybrid. We will see then my opinion changes.

Every generation, before new home consoles are coming, some people say that gaming is moving towards mobile, and home Consoles will be in serious trouble. Some people have said that before PS4 came out, and guess what, PS4 will easy pass 125M units sold by the end of its life cycle, and this is my very conservative estimate.

Sony and MS will never release a Hybrid piece of Hardware, 'cause they want to give us a true Next Gen experience, with mindblowing graphics, physics, more complex and life-like animations and advanced AI.   All the best/most impressive 3rd Party AAA titles will only run on PS5 and Next XBox, and if you wanna play them on Consoles, you need to buy them, not a Switch, or a revision of Switch, which will be so underpowered in comparison that nothing will be able to run on it, unless you "reinvent" the game to such an extent that it would be virtually unrecognizable on the Nintendo console, and no Pubisher/Developer on Earth would do it.  It's all about Sony and MS; if they release something great, they will have success; look at XBox360, look at PS4;  Nintendo has nothing to do with it, Switch cannot affect the future of Sony and MS; Nintendo is offering its own game experience, with a hybrid hardware, hybrid generation, they are selling a Home console and a portable console together, this is why selling numbers are good. PS4, which has entered its 6th year, is still doing better than Switch(2018), a very old Home Console is till doing better, all in all, than a new Hardware which combine Home console and a Portable, can you imagine ? And you say :" Sony can still survive Next Gen..." are you kidding or what ? :)   After an absolute domination of ps4 for over 5 years, you are questioning the future of Sony ?? And based on what?  Your hopes and assumptions ? Videogames Hystory has teached that what you say makes no sense at all.

yes.

I've been hearing this mobile thing for a decade. so far mobile or ipad haven't killed consoles.

20 years ago people were saying PC would kill consoles. didn't happen either

While PS and Xbox are evolving and PS has been growing since the last years of PS3, Nintendo, on the other hand, used to have 2 consoles selling like hot cakes, home and handheld, sometimes even two to three revisions to their handhelds selling together. Today, they have left the home console business. They have only one device that has its own market.

It's not like ps4 and xbox are struggling to survive against mobile or nintendo's tablet, it's in fact like they're the only ones on the real console market.

God bless You.

Around the Network
0D0 said:
SKMBlake said:

The Switch isn't the successor to the 3DS, it is sold at the same time, while the Wii U is discontinued. New games are coming for the 3DS. And the Switch is sold at the same price as the Wii U and have the same library as the Wii U, not the 3DS. That's why it makes sense.

And for your comparison Wii U/Switch vs PS3/PS4, you must be joking. The PS4 didn't outsold the PS3 in 1 year, and didn't sold twice as many in less than 2 years. It actually got 5 years to the PS4 to outsell the PS3, close to the end of the generation. So that comparison makes no sense at all.

Switch is the successor to 3DS and Wii U. That being said it can compared to whatever you want. Its very successful so really that's all that matters. To have a 3.61 Software Tie ratio in its second year is pretty amazing. And 2019 is where it should really heat up. That doesn't take anything away from the success of PS4. The most interesting thing is 2020 and the next generation and what the transition will be, and what will be offered. I am greatly looking forward to it.

drinkandswim said:
0D0 said:

Switch is the successor to 3DS and Wii U. That being said it can compared to whatever you want. Its very successful so really that's all that matters. To have a 3.61 Software Tie ratio in its second year is pretty amazing. And 2019 is where it should really heat up. That doesn't take anything away from the success of PS4. The most interesting thing is 2020 and the next generation and what the transition will be, and what will be offered. I am greatly looking forward to it.

No you can't. You can't compare a NSW to a rock.

God bless You.

0D0 said:
drinkandswim said:

No you can't. You can't compare a NSW to a rock.

Wow that's pretty obvious. I was obviously talking about video game consoles.

Holy crap just look at these PS4 sales in Europe, PS4 is really a beast here.

Very Nice sales for the Switch! Up MASSIVELY from last year! And the next couple of weeks should be just as big if not bigger! PS4 still trucking along very solid being up! XB1....meh but the PS4 in the US will be pretty down the next 2 weeks I am sure due to it being the only system with no real Holiday deals or new releases. But still wow the Switch doing great!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23