By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 8 December 2018 (Smash Week)

drinkandswim said:

It doesnt matter if I am right or wrong just stating my opinion. As a Microsoft supporter I dont think they survive
next generation unless they can improve their AAA Exclusives. Sony will survive but their numbers will be way down. Gaming is just moving towards more mobile. Now maybe Sony or Microsoft will have a hybrid. We will see then my opinion changes.

Every generation, before new home consoles are coming, some people say that gaming is moving towards mobile, and home Consoles will be in serious trouble. Some people have said that before PS4 came out, and guess what, PS4 will easy pass 125M units sold by the end of its life cycle, and this is my very conservative estimate.

Sony and MS will never release a Hybrid piece of Hardware, 'cause they want to give us a true Next Gen experience, with mindblowing graphics, physics, more complex and life-like animations and advanced AI.   All the best/most impressive 3rd Party AAA titles will only run on PS5 and Next XBox, and if you wanna play them on Consoles, you need to buy them, not a Switch, or a revision of Switch, which will be so underpowered in comparison that nothing will be able to run on it, unless you "reinvent" the game to such an extent that it would be virtually unrecognizable on the Nintendo console, and no Pubisher/Developer on Earth would do it.  It's all about Sony and MS; if they release something great, they will have success; look at XBox360, look at PS4;  Nintendo has nothing to do with it, Switch cannot affect the future of Sony and MS; Nintendo is offering its own game experience, with a hybrid hardware, hybrid generation, they are selling a Home console and a portable console together, this is why selling numbers are good. PS4, which has entered its 6th year, is still doing better than Switch(2018), a very old Home Console is till doing better, all in all, than a new Hardware which combine Home console and a Portable, can you imagine ? And you say :" Sony can still survive Next Gen..." are you kidding or what ? :)   After an absolute domination of ps4 for over 5 years, you are questioning the future of Sony ?? And based on what?  Your hopes and assumptions ? Videogames Hystory has teached that what you say makes no sense at all.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
melbye said:
LOL, Smash-week and PS4 still, albeit marginally, sells more in Europe.

"Smash week" is only significant for the US and Japan. In most other countries Smash is generally viewed as a novelty game where you can pit Nintendo characters against each other: and not this big holy grail of games that Americans seem to worship it as.

While many might buy Smash if they have a Switch already, hardly any will buy a Switch because of Smash Bros - the main driver for the Switch in Europe is simply the fact that it's December and it's an easy Christmas gift for the kids: and getting games for it makes easy gifts for the next 4-5 years.

Tell that to Italy and Germany where it is sold out.

I saw a young kid yesterday in the flight Bordeaux-Paris, playing Smash :)

Don't underestimate the quantity of young kids in Europe who already Know Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc...From DS and Wii, how they could have reacted at 8 years old seeing the advert of Smash on the french TV. I have seen a lot of these adverts between the 15 and 24 Dec on the French TV. I believe that Nintendo understood the most important thing for this 2nd half generation : MARKETING MARKETING MARKETING and.....MARKETHYPE

zorg1000 said:
drinkandswim said:
Microsoft is already way in decline. You think just releasing another 4K capable system is going to change that? As I stated, Sony will still be successful their numbers will be down. Because the jump from PS4 Pro wont be big enough except for hardcore Sony gamers. Even if the systems are 8K capable, 8K TV’s are years off from being mainstream. By 2020 4K will just be hitting mainstream. Its simple economics and technology knowledge doesnt require evidence. Its a projection based on market knowledge.

So you think the only reason people upgrade consoles is because of resolution?

Also Microsoft did not kill Rare or Silicon, they never even owned Silicon and Rare just released a successful new IP in Sea of Thieves last year.

With a Critic Score of 6.2 and less than a million sales, I wouldn't call Sea of Thieves a success. You are right Microsoft didn't own Silicon Knights, but they did have a Partnership right before they went out of business. 

Nate4Drake said:
drinkandswim said:

It doesnt matter if I am right or wrong just stating my opinion. As a Microsoft supporter I dont think they survive
next generation unless they can improve their AAA Exclusives. Sony will survive but their numbers will be way down. Gaming is just moving towards more mobile. Now maybe Sony or Microsoft will have a hybrid. We will see then my opinion changes.

Every generation, before new home consoles are coming, some people say that gaming is moving towards mobile, and home Consoles will be in serious trouble. Some people have said that before PS4 came out, and guess what, PS4 will easy pass 125M units sold by the end of its life cycle, and this is my very conservative estimate.

Sony and MS will never release a Hybrid piece of Hardware, 'cause they want to give us a true Next Gen experience, with mindblowing graphics, physics, more complex and life-like animations and advanced AI.   All the best/most impressive 3rd Party AAA titles will only run on PS5 and Next XBox, and if you wanna play them on Consoles, you need to buy them, not a Switch, or a revision of Switch, which will be so underpowered in comparison that nothing will be able to run on it, unless you "reinvent" the game to such an extent that it would be virtually unrecognizable on the Nintendo console, and no Pubisher/Developer on Earth would do it.  It's all about Sony and MS; if they release something great, they will have success; look at XBox360, look at PS4;  Nintendo has nothing to do with it, Switch cannot affect the future of Sony and MS; Nintendo is offering its own game experience, with a hybrid hardware, hybrid generation, they are selling a Home console and a portable console together, this is why selling numbers are good. PS4, which has entered its 6th year, is still doing better than Switch(2018), a very old Home Console is till doing better, all in all, than a new Hardware which combine Home console and a Portable, can you imagine ? And you say :" Sony can still survive Next Gen..." are you kidding or what ? :)   After an absolute domination of ps4 for over 5 years, you are questioning the future of Sony ?? And based on what?  Your hopes and assumptions ? Videogames Hystory has teached that what you say makes no sense at all.

Its not just about mobile. Its about install base, exclusive games, and technological bottlenecks. Having mobile capabilities just expands your market. Unless Microsoft has some major AAA Exclusives at Launch their next system is doomed. How much better do you really think Microsoft's 2020 Xbox can be over the Xbox One X?

Last edited by drinkandswim - on 03 January 2019

Around the Network

blooming heck. thats all there is to be said really.

zorg1000 said:
drinkandswim said:
2016 Microsoft
Hardware Sales 8.4 million
Software sales 67 million
2017 hardware 7.7
Software 54 million
We dont have complete numbers for 2018 yet but it looks like PS4 will be down around 10%.

Like I said, minor declines.

PS4+XBO

2014-22.5

2015-26.1

2016-26.0

2017-28.0

2018-22.7 (3 weeks to go, 25-26m total)

Consoles cant just have infinite growth, they have to come down at some point and the 5th year of a consoles life having a decline is normal, it has nothing to do with Switch and everything to do with these consoles starting to reach market saturation with combined sales of ~130 million.

PS2+XB & PS3+360 each did ~175 million which is right about where PS4+XBO will end up.

Of course you can't have infinite growth. But there also isn't infinite disposable income or infinite gaming time. So yes Switch has an impact on Xbox One and PS4. Whether that is declining their numbers or keeping them from growing, it has an impact. And of course they will end up where they did last Generation because of Sony not because of Microsoft. Microsoft's numbers are in decline and they are now in third place in the console race. 

Trumpstyle said:

A very good week for Sony and a decent week for Nintendo considering they just launched Super smash.

I've made 3 predictions regarding Switch I think nobody in this forum has.

1. Switch will sell 14 Million consoles 2018

2. Switch sales will peak it's second year (2018)

3. It will sell less than 3DS

So far it's looking good, first prediction is almost confirmed as this what Michael Pachter recently said (quote) "Switch sales under 20 million: A+, tracking to 13 million this year".

My second prediction we won't know for awhile but with all big games released (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Smash) it will very likely peak 2018 as there is no third-party games to keep the Switch afloat.

Third prediction is based on that Switch just won't hit that low price of 99-149$ that 3ds did, if Nintendo insist of having a dock it will probably never go below 249$ pricing.

Source on Michael Pachter quote:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-01-02-what-lies-ahead-analysts-make-2019-predictions

All of your prediction will be wrong 

Amnesia said:

My prediction for this week was 1,6M for the Switch and even with such a score, it would be too short to reach 20M shipped, and I think I was more than optimistical for the Q4 here :

I'm sure the following weeks plus adjustments after NPD and the quarterly reports will be higher than your prediction was for the month

SKMBlake said:
The Switch made a huge week and people be like "yeah PS4 is a beast"

PS4 is an old wolf, doing great, a beast for sure. It's competing against a young Nintendo handheld console with one of the most popular titles: smash.

PS4 is a beast.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?