By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Amazon drops the price of the PS1 Classic...Are you MOVED to buy one?

So according to an article here on VGC, Amazon has reduced the price of the Playstation Classic by $30.  So what do you think? Is now the time to get one?  If not, is there a price you would be willing to pay for this bit of 90s nostalgia?

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/394118/playstation-classic-price-slashed-by-30-on-amazon/

Around the Network

I can get my PS1 fix anytime on my Vita screen with my favorite PS1 games, so I'll pass.

Hell no i have CTR and xenogears and a few more ps1 disc games im all set lol

idk why I feel like there was some kind of collectionist or nostalgia feeling with nes and snes that lacks here... maybe its because many good psx games as it has been said are in other platforms or they didnt age very well... anyway, I dont think I would buy it even if it was half price. im hoping for a nice ps2 mini with good games tho

if it hits $20, ill buy it as a collection item

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

I already own every playstation console. I've never once been interested in this mini-console. It makes no sense that it can't connect to PSN and download PS1 games, as I already own at least 50 of them anyway. I can already play ps1 games on every PS console that I have except my ps4s. Weak hardware + PAL versions means I don't care how much it costs.

One big difference between the PS1 classic and the NES/SNES classics is that there is actually a lot of pent up demand for these old school 2D games.  The game industry rarely puts a serious effort into these types of games anymore and when they do, they often get a lot of unexpected success like they did this year with Octopath Traveler.  There is an underserved market of people out there that want 2D games to be flagship games again instead of just letting indies make these games and then it's digital only versions. 

PS1/N64 era was the beginning of 3D gaming.  Those types of games are really common now, and often a lot better than their PS1 counterparts (e.g. Tomb Raider).  There isn't really pent up demand for these types of games right now.

They used cappy emulator software for it.... so its a big pass.
These classic consoles need to atleast match up to pc emulation levels, or its a no buy reguardless of price.

Then they need the right games as well.
PSclassic just doesnt get it right.... feels like a "I can do it too", instead of a "I did this well buy me" type of deal.

BraLoD said:
They can slash 90% off and I wouldn't get it.
Flop hard, LoDless creature!

if it was that price I would consider it as an ornament and for the 2x usb joypads... that said, they're not even Dualshocks so they've little use with any modern game on the PC.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Do we wonder if there was anyone at the design meeting on this that worried this would flop? Was there someone within the company who knew they were heading in the wrong direction? Or do we think the entire division just said, "Look, those sheep are buying the NESmini and SNESmini in droves, the PS1mini is a sure thing! In fact, we're so sure we'll charge $100 and make a killing!"