By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why a Joy-Con-less Switch model is a terrible idea

I have never even played my Switch with the Joy-Cons detached. Having an option for a Smaller Switch, that I could take with me anywhere would far outweigh the negatives of not having detachable Joy-Cons. They can still support the Joy-Cons even if the device itself doesn't have detachable Joy-Cons.

I really hope Nintendo does a Switch Mini (No Joy-Cons) @ $199.99 and a Switch Pro @ $299.99 next year. If they do, I will give my current Switch to my sister, and Buy a Switch Mini for the road, and a Switch Pro for at Home. A few options, for different situations is a positive for any ecosystem.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

I just want a SwitchTV. Ditch the Joycons, dock, screen, battery and call it a day.

I don't really have the need for a handheld device in retrospect.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

They should keep it around if just for MP4.

Lube Me Up

I don’t think these are strong arguments tbh.

1. No issue here, even a dedicated HH switch will be compatible with Joy-cons. They just won’t be required or necessarily attachable as it has its own built in buttons. Equally I would expect a dedicated HH device to still have the capacity to connect to the TV but it won’t come with a dock.

2. The handheld function of the Switch Already does this. Almost every game is built with buttons in mind and if developers want to offer a unique experience and negate a traditional hh experience (1,2 Switch)- they will prioritise this since its essentially the core selling point of the game.

3. I think this is fundementally misunderstanding the function of such a device. Its to allow accessibility (cheaper and more portable), making it more child friendly and encouraging multiple Switch ownership in one household. The Switch as a concept is established, this device doesn’t make it any more/less generic as a platform and this additional SKU is there for those who want it.

Last edited by Otter - on 22 December 2018

Mar1217 said:
Pemalite said:
I just want a SwitchTV. Ditch the Joycons, dock, screen, battery and call it a day.

You basically want nothing ? Nice.

I think he wants the games. A $99-149 version of the platform is a no brainer. I'm sure many Switch owners play with a classic control and rarely remove dock and many who only want to play Smash, Zelda, Mario 3D and Pokemon will be interested in a simplified system,

Around the Network
Otter said:

1. No issue here, even a dedicated HH switch will be compatible with Joy-cons. They just won’t be required or necessarily attachable as it has its own built in buttons. Equally I would expect a dedicated HH device to still have the capacity to connect to the TV but it won’t come with a dock.

2. The handheld function of the Switch Already does this. Almost every game is built with buttons in mind and if developers want to offer a unique experience and negate a traditional hh experience (1,2 Switch)- they will prioritise this since its essentially the core selling point of the game.

3. I think this is fundementally misunderstanding the function of such a device. Its to allow accessibility (cheaper and more portable), making it more child friendly and encouraging multiple Switch ownership in one household. The Switch as a concept is established, this device doesn’t make it any more/less generic as a platform and this additional SKU is there for those who want it.

1. Part of the Switch's appeal is that everything is simple and easy to access. A less functional varriant that adds more costs and barriers to entry for games only makes it more complex and less appealing

2. Even with no handheld mode, there's still tabletop mode to allow you to take the game on the go. Several Switch games already ditch handheld mode support when needed so it's not like Nintendo even mandates this.

3. Only, the Switch is already kid-friendly. The Joy-Con and the concept of sharing a controller in tabletop mode is something kids love. Encouraging multi-Switch households can already be done by offering a Dock-less bundle. It makes the Switch as affordable as possible, while retaining the core concept. What you're suggesting is to strip away the very thing that sets the Switch apart from the legions of generic tablets and gaming devices on the market, and turn it into yet another outdated, generic handheld. The Switch is selling well because its something much more original than that. This isn't like 3D on the 3DS where it was explicitly mandated to be optional and most people didn't use anyway. Most people use the Switch exactly how Nintendo intended, so why the hell would they undermine that? 

shikamaru317 said:

I see no reason why they would need to make a model with no joycons. Just make a Switch Mini with slightly smaller joycons and no screen bezel for the people like myself who find Switch too big currently. Drop the dock to get the price down to $250 and sell the dock by itself for Switch Mini buyers who decide they want the dock later. 

Can the joycons really get much smaller and remain viable?  There are already people who think they are too small.  A Switch mini would be a better idea with controls built into it as a static handheld device.  That would remove all meaning from the name however unless they added a mini dock separately to go with it while keeping it compatible with all other controllers.

Honestly without renaming it entirely, keeping the meaning of the "Switch" name intact seems like a hassle.  Then again renaming it could confuse the average joe as to what games it plays too.

There is no easy way to go about a Switch mini TBH, but there is definitely a market for it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

TheMisterManGuy said:
Otter said:

1. Part of the Switch's appeal is that everything is simple and easy to access. A less functional varriant that adds more costs and barriers to entry for games only makes it more complex and less appealing

2. Even with no handheld mode, there's still tabletop mode to allow you to take the game on the go. Several Switch games already ditch handheld mode support when needed so it's not like Nintendo even mandates this.

3. Only, the Switch is already kid-friendly. The Joy-Con and the concept of sharing a controller in tabletop mode is something kids love. Encouraging multi-Switch households can already be done by offering a Dock-less bundle. It makes the Switch as affordable as possible, while retaining the core concept. What you're suggesting is to strip away the very thing that sets the Switch apart from the legions of generic tablets and gaming devices on the market, and turn it into yet another outdated, generic handheld. The Switch is selling well because its something much more original than that. This isn't like 3D on the 3DS where it was explicitly mandated to be optional and most people didn't use anyway. Most people use the Switch exactly how Nintendo intended, so why the hell would they undermine that? 

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think many people including owners of the current Switch will be interested in a cheaper, dedicated handheld model and the existence of such a model will not lessen the appeal of the Switch or confuse its concept. I think we have to give consumers some credit and freedom to have different purchase choices. It's not like they're unfamiliar with technology.    

A. Hybrid System with everything in the box. 

B. Hybrid System but only handheld function within box, and in smaller more portable form (for those who know this is what they're looking for or looking for a cheaper entry point). If they change their mind later, they just pick up the necessary accessories. Its seems like an obvious wi/win for Nintendo. They sell more hardware and more games.

And in regards to separating Switch from other portable devices, I think Mario, Zelda, Smash, Pokemon etc do that pretty will. 

Last edited by Otter - on 22 December 2018

Mar1217 said:
Pemalite said:

If you think the Switch is only those things... Then you probably need to do some additional research.

Otter said:

I think he wants the games. A $99-149 version of the platform is a no brainer. I'm sure many Switch owners play with a classic control and rarely remove dock and many who only want to play Smash, Zelda, Mario 3D and Pokemon will be interested in a simplified system,

Precisely. I have absolutely zero interest in any of the aspects that makes it portable/hybrid, it's just a waste of time and money in my opinion.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Mar1217 said:

If you think the Switch is only those things... Then you probably need to do some additional research.

Otter said:

Precisely. I have absolutely zero interest in any of the aspects that makes it portable/hybrid, it's just a waste of time and money in my opinion.

On top of that I think it goes both ways. There are people who have no interest in the handheld aspect so a cheaper, micro console version is appealing and there are people who have no need for the dock and just want a cheaper, more portable version.

Hybrid sku-$299

Handheld sku-$199

Console sku-$199

They can have a setup like this where people who only like one or the other can get into the ecosystem at a reduced price and people who enjoy both can get the hybrid which is cheaper than buying both of the types individually.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.