By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why a Joy-Con-less Switch model is a terrible idea

zorg1000 said:
Pemalite said:

If you think the Switch is only those things... Then you probably need to do some additional research.

Precisely. I have absolutely zero interest in any of the aspects that makes it portable/hybrid, it's just a waste of time and money in my opinion.

On top of that I think it goes both ways. There are people who have no interest in the handheld aspect so a cheaper, micro console version is appealing and there are people who have no need for the dock and just want a cheaper, more portable version.

Hybrid sku-$299

Handheld sku-$199

Console sku-$199

They can have a setup like this where people who only like one or the other can get into the ecosystem at a reduced price and people who enjoy both can get the hybrid which is cheaper than buying both of the types individually.

I agree. I don't see any reason why Nintendo can't take it in both directions.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Pemalite said:

I agree. I don't see any reason why Nintendo can't take it in both directions.

I think it was simple to understand that not overwhelming a market with billion of choices for SKU's is cool too. You say that you don't need the "fluff" you're given  but it is what it is. It's an hybrid system that offers both playstyle. Wanna keep it like a home console ? You let the console in the dock and that's it.

Now why do they don't take it into other directions ? Streamlining the manufacturing process is probably a variable to take in. You're proposing SKU's that are so different in their basis that it would ask them to multiply or divide the manufactoring process into smaller chains which would be way more costly than the economy of scale they gain from a unified SKU that can accomplish all those things already.

Billions? Since the mid-90s they have had a home console along with 2-3 handheld skus at any given time, this is no different.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Mar1217 said:

Wanna keep it like a home console ? You let the console in the dock and that's it.

Or I could just not buy it until Nintendo offers something compelling?

Mar1217 said:

Now why do they don't take it into other directions ? Streamlining the manufacturing process is probably a variable to take in. You're proposing SKU's that are so different in their basis that it would ask them to multiply or divide the manufactoring process into smaller chains which would be way more costly than the economy of scale they gain from a unified SKU that can accomplish all those things already.

It would be no different than all the different SKU's of the 3DS.
You had the 3DS, 2DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS XL, 2DS XL...

There is even some significant deviation in form factors between the models, such as the 2DS with no hinge... So not really a compelling argument.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I didn't realize anyone was even arguing that it would be a good idea.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

The Switch is selling exceptionally well. There is simply no need for a cheaper model.

If anything, I’d welcome a beefier, more powerful and slightly bigger model. A Switch XL of some sort.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Mar1217 said:

Wanna keep it like a home console ? You let the console in the dock and that's it.

Or I could just not buy it until Nintendo offers something compelling?

Mar1217 said:

It would be no different than all the different SKU's of the 3DS.
You had the 3DS, 2DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS XL, 2DS XL...

There is even some significant deviation in form factors between the models, such as the 2DS with no hinge... So not really a compelling argument.

Or all the various screens they had. Between 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS & Wii U gamepad they had 6 different screens at once.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Jumpin said:
I didn't realize anyone was even arguing that it would be a good idea.

There are quite a few people who keep pitching this idea believe it or not. And every time they do, I just have to roll my eyes at how out-of-touch these people are with the market. 

The OT seems to assume automatically that attached joycons means you somehow can't still buy detachable joycons with the same functionality as before. Why would Nintendo remove Bluetooth from such a model?

There would be no functionality loss whatsoever.

im pretty sure a new handheld only switch can be made with thinner body and larger 1080p screen and sell for 250 while the hybrid console co exists along side it for those who want to game on a tv as well...

I'd be fine with them making a second model, where the joycons are attached to the system permanently. I only use them the few times that i play it outside of the house. I always use the pro controller, when i'm at home. It's just way more comfortable to use, and the battery lasts like 70 hours.