By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What's the point in having children?

Today's cute baby is tomorrow's pockmarked arsonist.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
manuel said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Why? It's not like having a child gifts you with exclusive knowledge that can't be comprehended otherwise.

It does, though.

You can't comprehend what it's like to have children if you don't have them. (And I mean wanted children, not unwanted unplanned accidents.) Same with love. You won't know what it exactly is until you feel it. Or a near-death experience. You can read a lot about them, but unless you have one yourself you don't really know what it is.

As to "what's the point", I don't know either. It's in our nature, I guess.

But what I do know is that I love my son more than anything and it makes my day when he just randomly pops into my room to hug me and says "I love you, dad." It's wholesome and just feels great.

Of course you can live without that. No discussion there.

This.

And of course, as any other species, we have a biological imperative to propagate, so there are these underlying motivations that we are not even fully conscious of. We want to pass on our genes and be part of the great continuum.

But if you feel strongly that having kids isn't something that you want to do, it's probably better that you don't have them and that's okay.

It's interesting, I've had this theory that people who don't understand the appeal of kids have themselves had a bad childhood for some reason or another and Lonely Dolphin seems to lend some weight to this.

Some people say that they don't want to be bogged down with kids, because they want to be free to experience the world. But what is a greater experience than creating a new life, a new person?

Sorry Lonely Dolphin. I disagree with you.

There's something with having kids that is hard to explain to someone who doesnt... there's so many small things. Raising someone, loving and being loved unconditionally by your child is something that cannont be described.

Every time I'm leaving house to workout, work or where ever my daughter runs after me out on the lawn and calling for me to wait, hug my leg and say she loves me. A million dollar feeling every single day.

Mbolibombo said:

There's something with having kids that is hard to explain to someone who doesnt... there's so many small things. Raising someone, loving and being loved unconditionally by your child is something that cannont be described.

Every time I'm leaving house to workout, work or where ever my daughter runs after me out on the lawn and calling for me to wait, hug my leg and say she loves me. A million dollar feeling every single day.

And there are people who have children who don't feel anything remotely close to what you're feeling. It's subjective.

Hello. So to have kids we have to have sex. So the real question is what is the purpose of sex. Sex is only and realistically for the reproduction of the species. Some people believe that the purpose of sex is pleasure. This is incorrect. You can many different ways of getting pleasure in your life. You can only truly have kids through sex. Sex is and always has been and always will be for the reproduction of a species. The End.

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:
Mbolibombo said:

And there are people who have children who don't feel anything remotely close to what you're feeling. It's subjective.

Which is why I said I disagree with him. As in, it's my opinion. No sure what you are trying to say, that there are parents that shouldnt be parents? Yeah that's definately true.

I love my kids, it's so fulfilling to watch them grow, ask questions, play with me and have all sorts of fun. There's really feelings in there that you don't get to know with anyone else.

That said, and this is what I thought before having them and still do, desire to have kids is one of the most selfish things human being experiences.

I've never wanted kids. I enjoy my peace and quiet. I understand why others feel the need to have them, i've just never felt that need personally.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
melbye said:
I think you need to become a parent to be able to answer that question

Why? It's not like having a child gifts you with exclusive knowledge that can't be comprehended otherwise. Though I believe there are some parents on this site, hopefully they'll weigh in.

Kslost said:
I think some people have more children to get more government money.

Dang that's evil. How many children would you need to have?

Just seems like a lot of people that thought having children was pointless change their minds completely after actually having them.

Attiq said:
Hello. So to have kids we have to have sex. So the real question is what is the purpose of sex. Sex is only and realistically for the reproduction of the species. Some people believe that the purpose of sex is pleasure. This is incorrect. You can many different ways of getting pleasure in your life. You can only truly have kids through sex. Sex is and always has been and always will be for the reproduction of a species. The End.

That is not just as easy as you try to depict it here. Purpose is not there in itself, it needs a subject. Nobody ever decided sex is needed for the reproduction of the species. In the evolution simply the beings that had sex lived on and gave these genes on and those who haven't aren't around anymore. If you say the purpose of sex is to let the species live, it sounds like someone planned or intended it. But as water does not intend to reach the ocean but just follow gravitation, sex developed based on natural laws, not intent or purpose.

Yeast has not the purpose to create alcohol and create pleasure for people who consume it. Still that's what happens. Sex didn't developed because of reproduction of the species, but said reproduction led to the proliferation of sex. Now yeast is used to produce alcohol for pleasure and sex is used for pleasure too. It doesn't matter for that, what the reasons for their development were.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]