By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people get upset by OPTIONAL difficult assists?

DonFerrari said:
0D0 said:

I hope you're one of the good ones.

From NES children, I hear a lot of things like:

- Games today are too easy. bla bla bla

- Difficult assists should be forbidden, kids today couln't play SMB3, bla bla bla bla

- Uncharted and Last of Us are no games, they're films .. bla bla bla

- Why do I have to install games? I don't play games that I have to wait 15 minutes to install, it should be like on nes.... bla bla bla

- Why this level of graphics? It's useless. Graphics like on game cube was already enough, the industry shouldn't be investing more money on graphics .. bla bla bla bla

it winds me up

To every imbecile on my age bracket that says games today are easier (yes they are, before they needed to hide 30min of gameplay on 6 months of playing) I just say them go and play begin to end without ever dying the game, whenever you die restart from the beginning.

Yeah right. like when some say "games today suck because they don't have game over screen" c'mon

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
0D0 said:
DonFerrari said:

To every imbecile on my age bracket that says games today are easier (yes they are, before they needed to hide 30min of gameplay on 6 months of playing) I just say them go and play begin to end without ever dying the game, whenever you die restart from the beginning.

Yeah right. like when some say "games today suck because they don't have game over screen" c'mon

That I haven't heard, but I believe some people think it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
freebs2 said:

The upside was that those 30min of gameplay were often so well design and fun that you ended up losing and losing repeatedly until you eventually beat the game.

I agree with you. I lived those times and played plenty of those games with some I still loving. But that doesn't make me preach on how much easier games are nowaday (it was common for most gamers to never reach the end of most if not all the games they played, and held prestige to finish some games).

This thread isn't about the few people that say todays games are too easy (because in reality it strongly depends on the games in question, back then and today were easy and hard games). This thread is about the people asking for changes in existing games regarding difficulty and the people that are against that idea. I personally say, there are a lot of games, I can decide which games are for me and which are not. Gameplay, graphics, story, immersion, fun are many deciding factors for people. But difficulty is too. So many people like platformers. Some of them avoid Kirby games, because they are generally easy, others play them, sometimes for this very reason. That is because people (including even gamers) are different. And I am OK with it. As long as there are games produced, that cater to me, I am OK with it. Now people ask to change games that cater to me, to be more for them. So, what do you think I feel about that?

You instead make it about people generally declaring the young people are wrong for some reasons. These people existed at all ages, declarations about the rottenness of the youth are ageless. Games these days are too easy is just one expression of that. But that isn't even true, as I said, plenty of games for each difficulty level. Maybe not for a cross-section of genres and difficulty. But NES was platformers and Metroidvania, and these are available in every difficulty you can think of.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 19 December 2018

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

I agree with you. I lived those times and played plenty of those games with some I still loving. But that doesn't make me preach on how much easier games are nowaday (it was common for most gamers to never reach the end of most if not all the games they played, and held prestige to finish some games).

This thread isn't about the few people that say todays games are too easy (because in reality it strongly depends on the games in question, back then and today were easy and hard games). This thread is about the people asking for changes in existing games regarding difficulty and the people that are against that idea. I personally say, there are a lot of games, I can decide which games are for me and which are not. Gameplay, graphics, story, immersion, fun are many deciding factors for people. But difficulty is too. So many people like platformers. Some of them avoid Kirby games, because they are generally easy, others play them, sometimes for this very reason. That is because people (including even gamers) are different. And I am OK with it. As long as there are games produced, that cater to me, I am OK with it. Now people ask to change games that cater to me, to be more for them. So, what do you think I feel about that?

You instead make it about people generally declaring the young people are wrong for some reasons. These people existed at all ages, declarations about the rottenness of the youth are ageless. Games these days are too easy is just one expression of that. But that isn't even true, as I said, plenty of games for each difficulty level. Maybe not for a cross-section of genres and difficulty. But NES was platformers and Metroidvania, and these are available in every difficulty you can think of.

Errrr I have been on the thread for some time so I know what it is about.

And yes, some people reasoning for not having options on the game is very similar to people that say games today are to easy. There is a sense of not only egoism and pride but also superiority.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

0D0 said:
There's only one game I'm an elitist: Fire Emblem.

For me, permanent death is part of the game, shouldn't be optional. Fire Emblem is meant to be played having in mind that you have to do everything possible to save your characters or sometimes you'll have to sadly sacrifice one. When you can use and re-use all the characters knowing that they'll never die, it's just a completely different experience.

But anyway, why not be optional? Because I'm a FE elitist, I admit. I can't stand what Nintendo has done to the franchise. I just can't.

You are being a hypocrite here. How is that any different than death and difficulty being a part of the souls experience?

Around the Network
omarct said:
0D0 said:
There's only one game I'm an elitist: Fire Emblem.

For me, permanent death is part of the game, shouldn't be optional. Fire Emblem is meant to be played having in mind that you have to do everything possible to save your characters or sometimes you'll have to sadly sacrifice one. When you can use and re-use all the characters knowing that they'll never die, it's just a completely different experience.

But anyway, why not be optional? Because I'm a FE elitist, I admit. I can't stand what Nintendo has done to the franchise. I just can't.

You are being a hypocrite here. How is that any different than death and difficulty being a part of the souls experience?

Seems like you haven't read much on his posts. He is totally admitting he is being elitist on Fire Emblem and accepting that it contradicts what he think about Souls.

DonFerrari said:
omarct said:

Seems like you haven't read much on his posts. He is totally admitting he is being elitist on Fire Emblem and accepting that it contradicts what he think about Souls.

Thank you.

We humans aren't always soulless perfect logical creatures.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Games as a whole have become increasingly easier over time. Forgiving replenishing health meters, auto saving all the time and tutorials etc have given the player less to rage quit about than ever before. For this reason people increasingly seek to challenge themselves online against other players.
For the most part games all have an easy mode - this is not new and I have no issue with games having this but I've always liked it when a game holds something back (like the "real" ending) when you use the easy mode. For a game like Dark Souls I have a different view. The whole point of that game is to overcome the insane difficulty level and work out the game with almost no hand holding. To enable an easy mode in that game would totally break the game IMO.
I didn't like how NSMB gave you invincibility once you'd died a few times... The reason? I found myself using this feature when I would have otherwise never considered giving up without a fight. It's like having Google in your pocket. You could try to work out the answer or just have someone tell you and do the work for you.

Merry Christmas

tripenfall said:
Games as a whole have become increasingly easier over time. Forgiving replenishing health meters, auto saving all the time and tutorials etc have given the player less to rage quit about than ever before. For this reason people increasingly seek to challenge themselves online against other players.
For the most part games all have an easy mode - this is not new and I have no issue with games having this but I've always liked it when a game holds something back (like the "real" ending) when you use the easy mode. For a game like Dark Souls I have a different view. The whole point of that game is to overcome the insane difficulty level and work out the game with almost no hand holding. To enable an easy mode in that game would totally break the game IMO.
I didn't like how NSMB gave you invincibility once you'd died a few times... The reason? I found myself using this feature when I would have otherwise never considered giving up without a fight. It's like having Google in your pocket. You could try to work out the answer or just have someone tell you and do the work for you.

Merry Christmas

If you don't have self control that is on you. I only started using calculator after 3rd year of engineering university even if i could use it long before. But for entrance exam you can't use calculator so I wanted to be very quick on my math.

tripenfall said:

Merry Christmas

Games used to come with extensive manuals with hints and tips, explaining everything in detail, including reference charts and maps when applicable. It's all streamlined in game nowadays or refer to a wiki. Just a double tap of the ps button brings up easy mode in Dark Souls aka the internet. What's the difference to having it build in or one step away where many spoilers await!