By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 48 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - November 26-December 2, 2018

Talking about Labo, yeah it failed to do whats expected from him, Nintendo expected Labo will have much higher effect on Switch sales and especially that Labo itself sill sell much better during Holiday season, and obvious that's not case.

Talking about PLG, with digital sales most likely already hit 1m, and thats OK for still very limited Switch install base thats still below 6m.

Around the Network

I'm happy with labo failures tbh. I don't get it why Nintendo needs to experiment something wierd like that, it screams Wii Era apporach. Instead of wasting their resources on Labo development they should've focusing more on core titles output.

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
I'm happy with labo failures tbh. I don't get it why Nintendo needs to experiment something wierd like that, it screams Wii Era apporach. Instead of wasting their resources on Labo development they should've focusing more on core titles output.

Nintendo always experiment with ideas that can be look weird to some people, also Labo is not in any case big project, its card box with very simple games. IMO Labo is good idea just Nintendo should have lower expectations from it, also $70-80 price point didnt helped Labo, but at end of day Nintendo will make profit with Labo in any case.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 06 December 2018

Faelco said:
zorg1000 said:

Well to be fair, the head of Nintendo France said he expected 80% of Labo sales to come during the holiday quarter which led many of us to believe they were going to have a massive marketing campaign for it during that time but that never happened.

It just seems weird that they had so much confidence in its holiday sales if they weren't going to give it any extra push.

If that really was the initial plan (and not just damage control), I guess they gave up after the bad launch and decided that focusing on Pokemon and Smash was a lot more profitable  

The reason I didnt see it as damage control was because that 80% figure was oddly specific. Typically PR fluff tries to be as vague as possible, something like

"Sales of Labo are within expectations and momentum will continue throughout the holidays".

A statement like that sounds positive but doesnt really tell you anything so it's hard to hold them to it which is what you want out of damage control.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Kai_Mao said:

For your first point: I’m just giving context since we’re sorta seeing this situation from different perspectives. Of course, Nintendo’s are most important since it’s their console being discussed. I get someone can be disappointed, but I’m just saying what I said for what it’s worth.

For your second point, I have no idea about what’s been going on in the used gaming market in Japan. You got me with Splatoon 2 and other examples.

For your third point, my bad if I came off as sensitive as I didn’t intend to. I just think it’s weird that people are saying “flop” for a Pokemon mainline game that had just as much going against it as much as it had going for it. Again, as crazy as Pokémon is WW, some were probably not sure about Let’s Go releasing at $60. I mean one of our users was pretty vocal about Let’s Go being low in value at $60. Of course it doesn’t matter since Pokemon Let’s Go is already selling millions, but we love context here.

For your last statement, yea it’s a bit general. Just saying that a steady/slow second year doesn’t necessarily translate into anything for the future.

1st: I agree with you. If Labo was succesful we will be seeing a different picture. If they release a 2d mario it will be different scenario.  They bank on the wrong horse early on.. I also think Nintendo over estimate the demand without a healthy core title.

2nd: That’s why I disagree with the install base arguments. We are talking about Japan where gaming is a culture. Atleast you can see what I am trying to say unlike someone I know. and used market is huge in Japan. That’s why it’s crucial for a game to have great legs and have a healthy sales to shipments ratio in it’s first 2 weeks. One example is FFXV. I am not sure if received a new shipments after the 1st one.

I will be honest that I am disappointed but I still think it’s good but not spectacular and good thing is it’s doing great outside Japan. Same as FFXV. Cold Steel doing okay in Japan but doing great outside Japan. (China). Revenue and profit wise Let’s go is up there already just by Japanese shipments alone.

As for the kast one. We will need to wait and see. I can see a revision with Pokemon as a bundle. Could hauve a small price cut. If animal  crossing and 2d mario will be for next year. 2019 will be a massive year for NSW.

Around the Network
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

I applaud Nintendo for trying, nothing wrong with attempting to expand their market. Labo was a cool idea, just not commercially viable.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

I applaud Nintendo for trying, nothing wrong with attempting to expand their market. Labo was a cool idea, just not commercially viable.

I second this. Even though this time their idea wasn't for me, they need to keep doing what they do. New ideas are the only way that the industry can grow. It's a risk worth taking.

1doesnotsimply

The problem with Labo was the way Nintendo tried to milk the idea. If Nintendo would have made one Labo game that is able to do everything kits 1-3 can do and more and then sell the cardboards separately, Nintendo would have had a lot more success.

我是广州人

PortisheadBiscuit said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

Agreed. Nintendo Labo is part of what makes Nintendo, Nintendo. They are a toy company at heart. Why take that identity away from them? This was also done by one of Splatoon's directors, Tsubasa Sakaguchi, who seemed enthusiastic about the project. People complain about Nintendo not getting their young developers to do more, so here's what one of them did this year. Failure or not, Nintendo will keep experimenting. It's who they are. Hell, they first marketed the NES/Famicom with ROB the Robot.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Switch outselling PS4 by 6:1 without a major release this week.

What are the LTD sales for both systems in Japan? At this rate it surely can't be too long before Switch passes PS4 in total Japanese hardware sales?

Switch - 5.830m
PS4 - 7.314m

According to Media Create. Still 1.5m to go, of which a significant chunk will be made during the holiday season. Afterwards it depends on where the baselines for the two consoles settle in 2019, so giving a good estimate isn't easy. Release-wise, the first calendar quarter tends to be PlayStation's best and Nintendo's worst, so that's a factor that can push back the date.

It will definitely happen in 2019, but without knowing the margin that will be left after the holiday season, it's really hard to narrow it down to a specific month or two.

Yeah, usually the first quarter has more releases for Sony. But this time we see NSMBUD and some smaller titles in the first quarter (I think Fire emblem and Daemon x Machina). The main factor here is obviously NSMBUD. I'm unsure how much pull it will have, but it might be the biggest impact on sales in first quarter.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Kai_Mao said:

And people thought Wii U ports were bad for the Switch.

And yea Persona Q2 is impressive considering circumstances. I hope Atlus considers developing ports of the mainline Persona games for Switch. There shouldn't be a reason that would stop them from doing it, since Persona Q allows Nintendo fans to get their feet wet into the franchise, getting rid of a myth that Persona is a PlayStation thing for Atlus.

Bring all SMT games to ps4 in exchange, right?

Agreed. This exclusivity bullshit has to end.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

I agree. Not everything works out. But if it does it brings new demographicsto our beloved hobby. And that is great.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]