By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch is perfectly viable as a primary or even only gaming device...

Wyrdness said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

You didn't answer these two:

Where are those 2018 Switch AA games with 80-90+ rating?

What are those Switch AA games with similar development costs (not counting marketing costs) as Just Cause 4?

Is Monster Hunter World not AAA?

God of War?

Detroit?

Spider-Man?

Shadow of the Tomb Raider?

Assassin's Creed Odyssey?

Forza Horizon 4?

Call of Duty?

Battlefield V?

Red Dead Redemption 2?

Once you have decided that which of those games are not AAA, can you name those 15 AAA games from 2017, and also those 10 rated 90+?

"2007 had 50 AAA games." So you keep making numbers from thin air? I wonder why?

The list is right there for you, Valkyria 4, Valkyria remaster, Civ6, Octopath, TWEWY R, Dark Souls R, Fortnite, Ys, Child of Light, Diablo 3, Wolfenstein 2, DQ Builders, DBFZ, Both South Park RPGs etc... the list is right there for you if you don't want to read it it's not my problem. AA games aren't as defined by budget either they're mid tier games of decent commercial standing considered worth while purchases in a library so don't require the need to have the same budget as JC this part alone in your post has me wondering if you understand what you're trying to argue tbh.

What about MH? are you sure you know what you're arguing at this point or understand the points being put forward to you as this part is all random and has no context to it.

Those numbers aren't out of thin air the very site I linked you backs them and that's going by your very own logic you've yet to debunk any of this and I can name those 15 AAA in 2007 easily in fact having checked the are actually 16 and 13 of them are 90 or above (marked with *).

Bioshock*
CODMW*
Team Fortress 2*
Portal*
Halo 3*
GOW2*
ES:Oblivion*
Mass Effect*
Crysis*
Rock Band*
Half Life 2:EP2*
Forza*
Uncharted
Assassin's Creed
Project Gotham
GH2*

"AAA are diminishing in not only release numbers but what set them apart lets look at 2017 where the were 15 actual AAA titles for the time 10 of which average 90+ and these were along side a tonne of AA titles, now days the are less releases from AAA and AA titles are going blow for blow with in everything but budget that's a sign of diminishing."

Well, that's the issue (you said 2017 instead of 2007).

2007 was infact a good year, but surely Team Fortress 2 and Portal don't count as AAA by your standards? Even I wouldn't count them as AAA. Rock Band and Guitar Hero 2 are also a bit questionable. At least they are not raditional games. Games back then were also usually reviewed less harshly, and these days AAA/AA games are much more expensive to make.

And when you are trying to put games like Just Cause 4 and Octopath in the same AA category, it would be  as silly if I would put BotW and Nex Machina in the same category with each other.

How are those AA games that you mentioned about as good as for example God of War or RDR2? Smaller games also aren't rated with the same standards as big games.

Monster Hunter World is AAA. Or do I have the wrong standards again?

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Around the Network
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
Wyrdness said:

The list is right there for you, Valkyria 4, Valkyria remaster, Civ6, Octopath, TWEWY R, Dark Souls R, Fortnite, Ys, Child of Light, Diablo 3, Wolfenstein 2, DQ Builders, DBFZ, Both South Park RPGs etc... the list is right there for you if you don't want to read it it's not my problem. AA games aren't as defined by budget either they're mid tier games of decent commercial standing considered worth while purchases in a library so don't require the need to have the same budget as JC this part alone in your post has me wondering if you understand what you're trying to argue tbh.

What about MH? are you sure you know what you're arguing at this point or understand the points being put forward to you as this part is all random and has no context to it.

Those numbers aren't out of thin air the very site I linked you backs them and that's going by your very own logic you've yet to debunk any of this and I can name those 15 AAA in 2007 easily in fact having checked the are actually 16 and 13 of them are 90 or above (marked with *).

Bioshock*
CODMW*
Team Fortress 2*
Portal*
Halo 3*
GOW2*
ES:Oblivion*
Mass Effect*
Crysis*
Rock Band*
Half Life 2:EP2*
Forza*
Uncharted
Assassin's Creed
Project Gotham
GH2*

"AAA are diminishing in not only release numbers but what set them apart lets look at 2017 where the were 15 actual AAA titles for the time 10 of which average 90+ and these were along side a tonne of AA titles, now days the are less releases from AAA and AA titles are going blow for blow with in everything but budget that's a sign of diminishing."

Well, that's the issue (you said 2017 instead of 2007).

2007 was infact a good year, but surely Team Fortress 2 and Portal don't count as AAA by your standards? Even I wouldn't count them as AAA. Rock Band and Guitar Hero 2 are also a bit questionable. At least they are not raditional games. Games back then were also usually reviewed less harshly, and these days AAA/AA games are much more expensive to make.

And when you are trying to put games like Just Cause 4 and Octopath in the same AA category, it would be  as silly if I would put BotW and Nex Machina in the same category with each other.

How are those AA games that you mentioned about as good as for example God of War or RDR2? Smaller games also aren't rated with the same standards as big games.

Monster Hunter World is AAA. Or do I have the wrong standards again?

I mentioned 2007 a number of times either way that one time was an typing error, Portal and TF2 were AAA titles for the time as Valve poured a large budget into their marketing and they were heavily anticipated, if you don't think Rock Band and Guitar hero weren't big then I can only assume you weren't into gaming back then because these two series were massive back then Rock Band itself moved around 6m and had a huge marketing budget same thing with Guitar Hero.

BOTW and Machina are in the same category that's the whole point because even though one has more production value than the other they both don't have anywhere near the budgets of games like RDR, COD etc.... so they're in the same group regardless of how both games compare to each other.

The last part of you post literally has no context to anything I've said to you but you're also going into your own territory there as the point was the platform has more than enough releases to carry itself.

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
Mandalore76 said:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is also going to Switch.  Also, Spider-Man, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, and Detroit Become Human are PS4 exclusives.  That's like making a list of Switch games that PS4 and Xbox One aren't getting and including Legend of Zelda:  Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc. on it.

Well you can add at least Forza Horizon, Battlefield V and Call of Duty to that list (that's 12 games). And Xbox's lackluster exclusive games library is a well known fact and it gets a lot of flak from it. For majority PS4 is the primary console compared to Xbox. So why PS4 exclusives shouldn't count when we are talking about AAA games that are not on Switch?

Did you really just ask why games that are directly published by a platform holder exclusively for their own platform should not be counted on a list of multiplatform releases that don't appear on Switch?  Seriously.  Are you really asking that question?  

Forza Horizon 4 was developed by Playground Games (a subsidiary of Microsoft) and published by Microsoft Studios.
Spider-Man was published by Sony Interactive.
God of War was developed by Sony Santa Monica, and published by Sony Interactive.
Shadow of the Colossus was published by Sony Interactive.
Detroit:  Become Human was published by Sony Interactive.

Are you seeing a pattern here?  Let me know if you are able to guess what the following games not on Xbox One or PS4 have in common (hint:  it's the same thing the list of games above have in common):

Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
The Legend of Zelda:  Breath of the Wild
Splatoon 2
1-2 Switch
Arms
Kirby Star Allies
Pokken Tournament DX
Mario Tennis Aces
Donkey Kong Country:  Tropical Freeze
Super Mario Party
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Octopath Traveler
Captain Toad:  Treasure Tracker
Fire Emblem Warriors
Bayonetta 2
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
….

Shiken said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

I don't think that anyone thinks like that. But saying that it's equally viable as a primary/only console, is not very valid argument, because majority of gamers would most likely choose PS4 as their primary/only console. But millions would still choose the Switch.

I never stated that exactly the same amount of people would choose Switch as PS4, just that it is equally as viable.  Hell the X1 is equally as viable and it has not even sold half as what the PS4 has.  It seems you misunderstood  the point I was trying to make.

If your point was to rile people up I'd say you've done a fine job.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

0D0 said:

I couldn't agree more.

The average gamer just can't find games on Nintendo since the last years of Wii at least. So many genres, so many basic 3rd party games that Nintendo lacks, plus the prices and the technology. You can get a full entertainment machine from PS4/Xb1 and dozens of great games in a reasonable price, while many average gamers out there would only get Zelda on Switch. For most gamers out there, 2d platforms, indies, FE, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, octopath, don't mean anything.

Sales data says otherwise.  You are embarrassing yourself.

I'm not embarrassing myself, I'm just saying the hard truth about the casual console buyer.

The average casual gamer on this end of year have on PS4:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4
Battlefield V
SpiderMan
Read Dead Redemption 2
Darksiders III
Just Cause 4

What do you have on Switch?

Smash, Mario Party, Pokemon Lets go?

Do you think the average game will miss out Spiderman and Read Dea to play Mario Party and Pokemon? Let alone other things like Yoshi and Captain Toad?

Do you think the average casual gamer will choose the second list to the first?

Only gamers that would choose switch as a primary console would be nintendo fans or gamers who do know what they're getting into, enthusiasts, gamers that like Japanese content.

I'm going to say again:

The average gamer just can't find games on Nintendo since the last years of Wii at least. So many genres, so many basic 3rd party games that Nintendo lacks, plus the prices and the technology. You can get a full entertainment machine from PS4/Xb1 and dozens of great games in a reasonable price, while many average gamers out there would only get Zelda on Switch. For most gamers out there, 2d platforms, indies, FE, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, octopath, don't mean anything.

Even considering the entire library of switch and ps4, I'd say that the average gamer would prefer PS Now library to Switch. On PS Now, even old games like God of War and Read Dead 1 are worth more than all kirbies and yoshies.

Kill PS4 and the average console buyer will go to X1.

All the games are on X1 and PS4, all the franchises that everybody knows and hears about: Battlefield, COD, Read Dead, GTA, you name it. Switch is it's own thing.

Like I said PS4/X1 is the regular grocer with everything you need to buy. Switch is the posh vegan store.

Now, of course if you put personal tastes on the balance, then this entire discussion is pointless as well your story of how many hours you play your switch.

Last edited by 0D0 - on 06 December 2018

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network

In fact, any console is viable. Be it the Switch, the PS4, the XboxOne or even a portable like the 3DS and the Vita.

For quite some time ( about 2 years) I only played on the 3ds. It was my main console and I had tons and tons of fun with it.

In my country, videogame is expensive, so most people go with just one console or just a PC. Not many have more than one console.

NightlyPoe said:

I feel bad for anyone who doesn't think it's viable.  It may not be their choice, but there's no argument that it can't be someone else's.

You're right, but the thing is, everything can be viable for someone else. Even a piece of painted rock can be viable if you're into painted rocks. Therefore, if that's the argument of this thread, it's just pointless and if there are people out there that think that nintendo isn't viable for someone into nintendo or into whatever nintendo offers, i guess this argument must be so rare that doesn't make sense discuss it.

God bless You.

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

pikashoe said:
Munn75 said:

I think this is where the confusion is occurring. You are saying that the Switch has more than enough games to keep 99% of people going for years. At the same time though, you say that quantity of games has nothing to do with viability. So by that logic, even though Switch has enough games to keep people busy, if they aren't the games that people prefer, than is that really a viable option?

Ultimately I think that Switch is great for certain people and obviously could be their only console. I just tend to believe that if a person is only able to choose one console, Switch has less appeal due to technical specs and third party support. For those that are not interested in AAA games, FPS/resolution, or those who only want to play Nintendo's own AA/AAA games, Switch is a viable option.

Personally I am glad I don't have to choose just one.

The 99% part wasn't really about viability, i think all three current consoles have enough games to keep 99% of people going. Viability for being a primary console comes down to gane preference. I should have made that more clear.

I don't think that many people realistically care a huge amount about specs, frame rate, resolution etc. When choosing a console. If that were the case every Nintendo handheld would have failed.

I think what games people are looking for is a big factor. Many things can go into why someone plays one console more than another. A big reason why I play my switch more than my ps4 Is convenience. I can play it on the tv, i can play it as a portable, I have 2 docks so I can easily switch tv's if I want. The switch tends to be much faster at turning on and getting into a game. The big advantage the switch has for me is adaptability. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Nintendo doesn't need the average buyer, Nintendo has at least 40m-50m Nintendo fans out there, specially in Japan. Nintendo could survive only on Pokemon, but that doesn't mean that nintendo offers what 90% of the average casual console buyers looks in a current generation console.

God bless You.

0D0 said:

I'm not embarrassing myself, I'm just saying the hard truth about the casual console buyer.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Battlefield V
SpiderMan
Read Dead Redemption 2
Darksiders III
Just Cause 4

Do you think the average game will miss out Spiderman and Read Dea to play Mario Party and Pokemon? Let alone other things like Yoshi and Captain Toad?

Do you think the average casual gamer will choose the first list to the second?

Only gamers that would choose switch as a primary console would be nintendo fans or gamers who do know what they're getting into, enthusiasts, gamers that like Japanese content.

I'm going to say again:

Even considering the entire library of switch and ps4, I'd say that the average gamer would prefer PS Now library to Switch. On PS Now, even old games like God of War and Read Dead 1 are worth more than all kirbies and yoshies.

All the games are on X1 and PS4, all the franchises that everybody knows and hears about: Battlefield, COD, Read Dead, GTA, you name it. Switch is it's own thing.

Like I said PS4/X1 is the regular grocer with everything you need to buy. Switch is the posh vegan store.

Now, of course if you put personal tastes on the balance, then this entire discussion is pointless as well your story of how many hours you play your switch.

If you are going to include 3rd parties on your list, you must do so with Switch.

Diablo 3

Warframe

Smash

Octopath

Xenoblade Torna

Dragonball FighterZ

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Wolfenstein 2

Ys VIII

Just to name a few.  These are all very good games and if they can play more of them due to portability, the Switch is a viable option.  There are plenty of games for the average gamer even without the ones you mentioned.

And again, look at the sales data for those games you say do not mean anything.  Seems awful high for a game that "means nothing" to the mainstream.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
0D0 said:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Battlefield V
SpiderMan
Read Dead Redemption 2
Darksiders III
Just Cause 4

Do you think the average casual gamer will choose the first list to the second?

I'm going to say again:

If you are going to include 3rd parties on your list, you must do so with Switch.

Diablo 3

Warframe

Smash

Octopath

Xenoblade Torna

Dragonball FighterZ

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Wolfenstein 2

Ys VIII

Just to name a few.  These are all very good games and if they can play more of them due to portability, the Switch is a viable option.  There are plenty of games for the average gamer even without the ones you mentioned.

And again, look at the sales data for those games you say do not mean anything.  Seems awful high for a game that "means nothing" to the mainstream.

Nintendo fans alone can buy like 5m of a Mario/Kirby/Yoshi stuff. Nintendo doesn't need average buyers to have million sellers. Bringing sales has no point here.

If you sell 1m octopaths, it doesn't mean that octopath traveler is as mainstream as COD.

Octopath and Ys? Are you saying that games like Octopath and Ys are as valuable to the mainstream average casual console buyer than COD, Read Dead, GTA, Spiderman, Battlefield? It's not.

Xenoblade? You're bringing up niches of the niches that even though can be million sellers they're just far from being mainstream to the random bloke that goes to a Walmart to get a modern current gen console.

Don't get me wrong, we here are gaming enthusiasts. I myself have 150h of XCX on Wii U. I don't have that on any COD, but if we're trying to find the console that could work as main/only console for the average player, well, it's very hard to be switch.

If we're talking about fans and experienced gamers, well, now they can have whatever console as main console as they like. Even 3DS is the main console of many Pokemon fans out there. I've got friends that have 999h in several Pokemon games.

God bless You.