By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony filed a patent for a new Game Cartridge, will future PS games be Cartridge based? *****Update*** It appears to be for Toio :(

https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/27/sony-patents-a-new-kind-of-game-cartridge/

News just poped up about a new Sony patent for "electronic Game Cartridges".

Not much else to it right now, but I think it definitly offers food for thought. 

Will Sony go completely Cartridge Based for Physical games going forward? This would make offering a unified library across Home and Mobile possible. Depending on the speed of the cartridge it could eliminate the need to install Physical games to internal storage. So not only would it help out the push for a Mobile PlayStation, but also allow them to shift to NVMe Storagefor PS5 as they could get away with 500GB to 1TB at launch. 

I think this could be a very interesting move. It honestly has a lot more positives going for it than negatives from my perspective. 

If they did go cartridge based, would they still have a Disc Drive? 

Any thoughts?

***Update***

Looks like this is for another Sony Product called Toio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6j2cLEwRsY

See 0:30.

Thanks to everyone who found out more and posted the links.

Last edited by KBG29 - on 27 November 2018

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Doesn't make sense.

The cheapest 120GB SSD you can get now is around $20. So lets assume this "cartridge" works off an M.2 type interface and form factor and allows speeds for up to 600MB/s..... no matter what, such a cart will cost at least $8 or so. As opposed to around $2 for a disc.

Its a interesting concept though and will better than using discs..... but that cost.

The Vita games were on cartridges. Surprised me, I thought Vita used UMDs.

It will be a great way to stealth remove the disc drive though.

Has the added bonus of not requiring any game to be installed too. I am also guessing a read only cart will cost less than one required for both read ad writes.

Intrinsic said:
It will be a great way to stealth remove the disc drive though.

Has the added bonus of not requiring any game to be installed too. I am also guessing a read only cart will cost less than one required for both read ad writes.

Those are my thoughts too. The difficult thing with removing the disc drive would be how to sell that to gamers that have a PS4 library that want B/C. I think they have to offer PS5 with a drive to start with, but having PS5 games on Cart would make removing the disc drive later on a lot easier.

I think that having the ability to return to Plug and Play Physical games would go over huge though. 

Note to mention, I still think that proper Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead, Call of Duty, FIFA, God of War, Horizon, and the likes on a Mobile PlayStation would be massive. Especially if it is one purchase that works across all PlayStation devices.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Sony and their proprietary products....

The problem is that with cheap storage most devs forgot what compression is....

Strange to see a PS5 with cartridge, with all the rumors about full bc with PS4 games. It is also strange to invest in another handheld given how poorly Vita has done in this mobile gaming market era which only grows every year.

Switch games don't even have a 64GB card yet, and PS5 is supposed to make 4K a standard? Nah. These cartridges would be hella expensive and no developer would want to use them. I think Sony is making something that can appeal to the Japanese Market with a PSP3 type device that plays on the TV much like a Switch and they'll release it worldwide as well. If Sony can actually support the thing, it could see amazing success and be cartridge based.It'd probably be based off of newer tech than the Switch, and this is probably why people feel the Switch refresh will be in 2019 and will feature a power boost.

We should know more by mid 2019, if info doesn't start leaking before then.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 27 November 2018

VITA 2!!!