By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony filed a patent for a new Game Cartridge, will future PS games be Cartridge based? *****Update*** It appears to be for Toio :(

Ahh Sony, always trailing behind Nintendo

Around the Network
Yerm said:

It really smells like a home/handheld hybrid console. Not saying it's PS5, but another console in attempt to revitalize their handheld sales.

Ljink96 said:

Switch games don't even have a 64GB card yet, and PS5 is supposed to make 4K a standard? Nah. These cartridges would be hella expensive and no developer would want to use them. I think Sony is making something that can appeal to the Japanese Market with a PSP3 type device that plays on the TV much like a Switch and they'll release it worldwide as well. If Sony can actually support the thing, it could see amazing success and be cartridge based.It'd probably be based off of newer tech than the Switch, and this is probably why people feel the Switch refresh will be in 2019 and will feature a power boost.

We should know more by mid 2019, if info doesn't start leaking before then.

The only way Sony can support an Handheld is if it has the same architecture as the Home console, allowing them to have a shared library. It has to be the PS4/Pro and XBO/X situation. If they try to do two platforms again, with the handheld, getting spinoffs of every major franchise it will just end up like the Vita again. If they want to succeed, they have to have proper GTA, RDR, COD, FIFA, NBA 2K, GOW, Horizon, Gran Turismo. People will not buy a spinoff device, to play spinoff games. They don't even buy spinoff games on the platforms they have, most of the time.

As for price, storage costs are going to drop massively, as capacity baloons over the next few years. Just like with HDD vs SSD in PS5, I expect they are looking down the road over the entire life of the console, and not just launch. It may not offer the biggest profits in 2020, but what will it look like in 2023 or 2026, as more and more games are starting to sell. As they move into those "Harvest Years" as John Kodera called them, Cartridges and M.2 NVMe Storage will pay massive dividends.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Looks likely to be a hybrid handheld. A hand-held PS4 (or something that can play PS4 games at, say, 720p resolution mobile) could prove to be the Switch's undoing.

Going to throw out a random guess that their next "portable" will be their Xperia phone that can play games via cartridge. Making a portable game device merged in with their current smart phone line would be the only way I could see Sony re-entering that space.

Around the Network
CuCabeludo said:
Yerm said:

It really smells like a home/handheld hybrid console. Not saying it's PS5, but another console in attempt to revitalize their handheld sales.

the handheld market is non-existent at this point. nobody wants to play a game anymore that is strictly confined to a 5 inch screen with watered down graphics. so Sony is either going to make the PS5 a hybrid console, or try to support a hybrid and a home console at the same time which would be overplaying their hand a bit

I guess this is just for the next handheld. The costs for a cartridge on PS5 imho still overweight the benefits. But who knows, maybe Sony is willing to lose money initially on the cartridges for the option to make the console smaller and cheaper to produce plus faster to read.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I hope so im sick of discs lol too big and loud. If the ps5 is hybrid like the switch i would legit cry of happiness

KBG29 said:

Those are my thoughts too. The difficult thing with removing the disc drive would be how to sell that to gamers that have a PS4 library that want B/C. 

[...]

That's not a problem. People could just use external drives for such things. 

edit: Looks like the patent has nothing to do with PlayStation: 

Last edited by OdinHades - on 27 November 2018

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Vita 2 incoming? :D

Edit: nvm, stupid toio

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames