By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony filed a patent for a new Game Cartridge, will future PS games be Cartridge based? *****Update*** It appears to be for Toio :(

[Completely random off topic brought up by Youtube clip]

Shinji didn't trigger Third Impact for End of Evangelion though.

Around the Network

PS4 Tablet portable incoming. :D

Has to be for a new handheld right?

*edit: doesnt look like it.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 27 November 2018

OdinHades said:
KBG29 said:

Those are my thoughts too. The difficult thing with removing the disc drive would be how to sell that to gamers that have a PS4 library that want B/C. 

[...]

That's not a problem. People could just use external drives for such things. 

edit: Looks like the patent has nothing to do with PlayStation: 

had to youtube it.... to get a idea of what it is.... its this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6j2cLEwRsY

Mar1217 said:
shikamaru317 said:
Gotta be for a new handheld, no way they switch from disc to cartridges for PS5.

You should probably read the last page. It's just for a toy.

Man it fooled so many of us.... then we see the last page and like.... eeeh! its a toy thingy.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Intrinsic said:
It will be a great way to stealth remove the disc drive though.

Has the added bonus of not requiring any game to be installed too. I am also guessing a read only cart will cost less than one required for both read ad writes.

Those are my thoughts too. The difficult thing with removing the disc drive would be how to sell that to gamers that have a PS4 library that want B/C. I think they have to offer PS5 with a drive to start with, but having PS5 games on Cart would make removing the disc drive later on a lot easier.

I think that having the ability to return to Plug and Play Physical games would go over huge though. 

Note to mention, I still think that proper Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead, Call of Duty, FIFA, God of War, Horizon, and the likes on a Mobile PlayStation would be massive. Especially if it is one purchase that works across all PlayStation devices.

Yup. BC will be the issue. Unless they have a way of allowing people carry over their existing physical library. I don't see sony doing a handheld again though. They re already trying to push VR, doing another handheld will be spreading themselves too thin again. Especially if al it has are watered down versions of PS5 games or IPs.

aikohualda said:
Sony and their proprietary products....

Yh. Its a good thing nintendo isn't using a propreitary ca......... oh wait.

Ljink96 said:

Switch games don't even have a 64GB card yet, and PS5 is supposed to make 4K a standard? Nah. These cartridges would be hella expensive and no developer would want to use them. I think Sony is making something that can appeal to the Japanese Market with a PSP3 type device that plays on the TV much like a Switch and they'll release it worldwide as well. If Sony can actually support the thing, it could see amazing success and be cartridge based.It'd probably be based off of newer tech than the Switch, and this is probably why people feel the Switch refresh will be in 2019 and will feature a power boost.

We should know more by mid 2019, if info doesn't start leaking before then.

Nintendo doesn,t have 64GB cards yet because of the card format they chose to go with. And that format was chosen for its portability. If they used a bigger cart, say something the size of an M.2 drive, they could fit bigger storage modules on that at a lower cost. Some Things get expensive the smaller they have to be you know?

That aside, them making some sort of portable console is the most likely bet..... even though I don't see that happening.

Oh its for a toy...... well, at least I was riht on sony not making another handheld.

aikohualda said:

so nintendo is the only company that can get shit about their propreitary? ok got it... 

aikohualda said:

so nintendo is the only company that can get shit about their propreitary? ok got it... 

Look at the first comment " SONY and their proprietary products ". So  it's not just SONY who use their own product , but Nintendo as well,  but all of you SONY hater always thing Nintendo as God and SONY like dick.  

OdinHades said:

That's not a problem. People could just use external drives for such things. 

edit: Looks like the patent has nothing to do with PlayStation: 

Mar1217 said:

And now this thread is ...

JRPGfan said:

had to youtube it.... to get a idea of what it is.... its this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6j2cLEwRsY

Thanks for the updates and links. 

Too bad, it would have been a very interesting, and forward thinking move. Guess were back to Sony's 128GB Quad Layer Blu-Ray Discs for PS5, and no Vita successor for now.  

Sony's got to make sure they bleed that $1 Billion a year into there Google Charity called Xperia. No better business model  than building products that compete against you, and loose you money.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Intrinsic said:
KBG29 said:

Those are my thoughts too. The difficult thing with removing the disc drive would be how to sell that to gamers that have a PS4 library that want B/C. I think they have to offer PS5 with a drive to start with, but having PS5 games on Cart would make removing the disc drive later on a lot easier.

I think that having the ability to return to Plug and Play Physical games would go over huge though. 

Note to mention, I still think that proper Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead, Call of Duty, FIFA, God of War, Horizon, and the likes on a Mobile PlayStation would be massive. Especially if it is one purchase that works across all PlayStation devices.

Yup. BC will be the issue. Unless they have a way of allowing people carry over their existing physical library. I don't see sony doing a handheld again though. They re already trying to push VR, doing another handheld will be spreading themselves too thin again. Especially if al it has are watered down versions of PS5 games or IPs.

aikohualda said:

Ljink96 said:

Switch games don't even have a 64GB card yet, and PS5 is supposed to make 4K a standard? Nah. These cartridges would be hella expensive and no developer would want to use them. I think Sony is making something that can appeal to the Japanese Market with a PSP3 type device that plays on the TV much like a Switch and they'll release it worldwide as well. If Sony can actually support the thing, it could see amazing success and be cartridge based.It'd probably be based off of newer tech than the Switch, and this is probably why people feel the Switch refresh will be in 2019 and will feature a power boost.

We should know more by mid 2019, if info doesn't start leaking before then.

Nintendo doesn,t have 64GB cards yet because of the card format they chose to go with. And that format was chosen for its portability. If they used a bigger cart, say something the size of an M.2 drive, they could fit bigger storage modules on that at a lower cost. Some Things get expensive the smaller they have to be you know?

That aside, them making some sort of portable console is the most likely bet..... even though I don't see that happening.

Oh its for a toy...... well, at least I was riht on sony not making another handheld.

It's easy to say just put a "X" drive in it. But if that was viable, we'd have commercial gaming hardware that does that and is financially viable. You'd have to see if that's a viable solution for a handheld, how much storage capacity should it be, right now these types of drives are still expensive (even for 500GB) for a mass consumer electronic that's main goal is to do gaming. I've been through this debate with others numerous times, I used to be on this side, but it's highly unlikely that Sony goes with this as a storage medium. Using bigger carts? Is that something we want? And do you use that for a medium for a video game?

I think that the future will find new and cheaper ways to implement mass storage, maybe Sony pioneers it with M2 style drives and then drives down the price of the storage medium, but I think that's being very optimistic. I think SSDs are a good solution for internal storage, especially the size they're becoming, however ditching physical media? Is that something Sony would be ready to do. What would be the medium for games?

Edit: and as I type this, I see it was updated. Conversation adjourned. 

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 27 November 2018