By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Your thoughts on the Next Ninty Console

Miyamotoo said:

Ryzen is another league, but Switch 2 will be most likely released 2-3 years after PS5/XB2, so must likely we will comparing newer ARM CPU compared than Ryzen in PS5/XB2.

And in 2-3 years Ryzen will still be in another league.

There is such a massive performance delta between the latest and greatest ARM socs and high-end x86 parts it's ridiculous, that gap isn't going to close in just a few years.

Miyamotoo said:

Well that assumption, but with point that Nintendo already using ARM most likely they will stick to ARM with Switch 2 also. Nvidia itself said they will have partnership with Nintendo that will last at least 20 years, we talking about very strong relationship, so it's very possible they will make custom SoC for Nintendo needs where Nintendo will choose what they want.

Perhaps Nintendo will choose nVidia again.
However, nVidia's ARM CPU efforts aren't anything to write home about.

Miyamotoo said:

We dont know that, we dont know how strong ARM CPUs will be in few years. Like I wrote, I expecting in any case that PS5/XB2 CPU will again be stronger, but that Switch2 will have comparible CPU for its need, in this case that runs 4K PS5/XB2 games at 1080p at least in docked mode.

I have a fair idea as I have been following ARM CPU development... Along with the likes of PowerPC, MIPS, x86, SPARC, Transmeta, OpenRISC and so on just to name a few.

ARM CPU development will continue along it's current roadmaps and general yearly improvements, that goes without saying, no one refutes that.

But the part you are missing is that... Current generation consoles are using Jaguar. - Which is an evolutionary update to Bobcat, this was AMD's absolute worst CPU at a time when AMD's entire CPU lineup was absolutely horrific, their fastest was hot, slow and a waste of time... Which hopefully puts Jaguar in perspective of how bad it is.

And Jaguar still gives the ARM cores in the Switch a run for it's money.

Roll on to today and AMD now has Zen, this fixes AMD's performance deficit from top to bottom, ARM isn't even in the same league anymore, ARM is still being compared to Core 2 Duo's, Jaguar and Intel Atom, let alone Zen, it will be years before you mainstream ARM chips can even think about hitting that performance level.

Miyamotoo said:

We can bet they will have higher clock than current 1GHz, Nintendo preferred lower clocks because they couldn't had higher currently, in this case we most likely talking 7nm vs 20nm if comparing Switch 2 and Switch.

Yes they could have had higher clocks this generation.
You forget the Switch SoC is old. - It's built at an ancient 20nm fabrication process, that is the reason for the lower clocks.

If it was built at 14nm/16nm though, there is still no guarantee that Nintendo would have increased the CPU clocks above 1ghz though, Nintendo might have spent all of it's extra TDP budget on the GPU side of the equation, maybe then the console wouldn't have games under 720P so often.

Miyamotoo said:

Yes, 3GHz still didn't used for ARM CPUs in devices, but 2.5GHz is used, I dont see why will not see 3GHz also used in few years. Also even Switch uses 2GHz with much more modern and stronger CPU with more than 3 available cores for games, compared to current Switch CPU, we talking about huge difference in any case.

What?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Miyamotoo said:

Ryzen is another league, but Switch 2 will be most likely released 2-3 years after PS5/XB2, so must likely we will comparing newer ARM CPU compared than Ryzen in PS5/XB2.

And in 2-3 years Ryzen will still be in another league.

There is such a massive performance delta between the latest and greatest ARM socs and high-end x86 parts it's ridiculous, that gap isn't going to close in just a few years.

Miyamotoo said:

Well that assumption, but with point that Nintendo already using ARM most likely they will stick to ARM with Switch 2 also. Nvidia itself said they will have partnership with Nintendo that will last at least 20 years, we talking about very strong relationship, so it's very possible they will make custom SoC for Nintendo needs where Nintendo will choose what they want.

Perhaps Nintendo will choose nVidia again.
However, nVidia's ARM CPU efforts aren't anything to write home about.

Miyamotoo said:

We dont know that, we dont know how strong ARM CPUs will be in few years. Like I wrote, I expecting in any case that PS5/XB2 CPU will again be stronger, but that Switch2 will have comparible CPU for its need, in this case that runs 4K PS5/XB2 games at 1080p at least in docked mode.

I have a fair idea as I have been following ARM CPU development... Along with the likes of PowerPC, MIPS, x86, SPARC, Transmeta, OpenRISC and so on just to name a few.

ARM CPU development will continue along it's current roadmaps and general yearly improvements, that goes without saying, no one refutes that.

But the part you are missing is that... Current generation consoles are using Jaguar. - Which is an evolutionary update to Bobcat, this was AMD's absolute worst CPU at a time when AMD's entire CPU lineup was absolutely horrific, their fastest was hot, slow and a waste of time... Which hopefully puts Jaguar in perspective of how bad it is.

Roll on to today and AMD now has Zen, this fixes AMD's performance deficit from top to bottom, ARM isn't even in the same league anymore, ARM is still being compared to Core 2 Duo's, Jaguar and Intel Atom, let alone Zen, it will be years before you mainstream ARM chips can even think about hitting that performance level.

Miyamotoo said:

We can bet they will have higher clock than current 1GHz, Nintendo preferred lower clocks because they couldn't had higher currently, in this case we most likely talking 7nm vs 20nm if comparing Switch 2 and Switch.

Yes they could have had higher clocks this generation.
You forget the Switch SoC is old. - It's built at an ancient 20nm fabrication process, that is the reason for the lower clocks.

If it was built at 14nm/16nm though, there is still no guarantee that Nintendo would have increased the CPU clocks above 1ghz though, Nintendo might have spent all of it's extra TDP budget on the GPU side of the equation, maybe then the console wouldn't have games under 720P so often.

Miyamotoo said:

Yes, 3GHz still didn't used for ARM CPUs in devices, but 2.5GHz is used, I dont see why will not see 3GHz also used in few years. Also even Switch uses 2GHz with much more modern and stronger CPU with more than 3 available cores for games, compared to current Switch CPU, we talking about huge difference in any case.

What?

Ryzen will still be in another league, but future ARM CPUs will be stronger than current ones in any case.

Its almost certain that they will chouse Nvidia + ARM also, they were clear they dont want to have different tech/archcture every new gen, and Nvidia very confident said their partnership will last at least 20 years, it obivous they have plans for future, and its not hard to imagine they making some custom SoCs for Nintendo instead using just available on market like they did with current Switch.

Difference is that Jaguar in PS4 is 8-core CPU that runs at 1.7GHz while A57 is 4-core CPU that runs at 1GHz. If I recall, A57 vs Jaguar core vs core on same clocks had similar results in benchmarks.

PS5/XB2 will have huge update in CPU, but possible Switch 2 will also have huge upgrade in CPU side in any case, I mean if just now curently imagine for instance A76 6-core CPU running at 2GHz compared to current A57 4-core CPU runing at 1GHz, we talking about huge difference, and Switch will most likely using more stronger and more advance CPU than latest ARM CPU for potential Switch 2 that would most likely be released in 2023, and that would be most likely enough to runs 4K PS5/XB2 games at 1080p at least in docked mode.

No I didn't forget, I actually wrote its 20nm, and 20nm is reason why they couldnt go with higher clocks, higher clocks with X1 thats 20nm would mean higher heating and less battery life.

If they for instance used Tegra X2 you can bet they would use higher clocks for CPU and GPU. Biggest bottleneck for Switch is CPU not GPU, and that was obvious from day one.

I think I was very clear with my last paragraph in my previous post, but if you dont think like that, what exactly part isnt clear?

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 30 November 2018

Pemalite said: 

Current generation consoles are using Jaguar. - Which is an evolutionary update to Bobcat, this was AMD's absolute worst CPU at a time when AMD's entire CPU lineup was absolutely horrific, their fastest was hot, slow and a waste of time... Which hopefully puts Jaguar in perspective of how bad it is.

I apologize if you're sick of my constant questions on this topic, but overall, how does the ARM Cortex A57 in the Switch compare to the Jags in PS4/Xbone. Like, if the PS4 CPU was a 100, what would the Switch CPU be, like 50?

(I'm just guessing it's around half since games like Doom and Wolf 2 run at half the framerate on Switch without cutting back on CPU stuff like number of AI, physics, etc)

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:
I think a setup that would work well for Nintendo is not necessarily going after hundreds of third party titles for a "Switch Pro" (hypothetical).

What you want is just to add some more appeal/breadth to the portable console concept, you don't need to get into a pissing match with Sony/MS, especially when you already have Nintendo's big IP.

I think you'd want to add a few franchise entries like Kingdom Hearts 3, Call of Duty (series), Grand Theft Auto V (w/online), Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil (main series), Assassin's Creed series (no streaming), Elder Scrolls VI, Star Wars Battlefront, Dark Souls III as Pro-only titles.

That's about it, it wouldn't necessarily be about suddenly competing for hundreds of titles. You just want to add a few of the bigger industry IP to increase the appeal of the unit.

I think Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Call of Duty, and GTAV would all potentially be million+ sellers on the Switch which would make a port worthwhile. It's not about competing or getting the same numbers as what Sony/MS get, just expanding out the appeal of the ecosystem and I think there is certainly a market of people who would like to enjoy games like that on the go.

A Pro model can run a few of these IP and then it can run all standard Switch games (which would make up 95% of the Switch ecosystem for a while) at a better resolution and frame rate would sell quite well for Nintendo at $349.99, lets say (normal Switch, die shrunk to 14nm goes to $249.99 or less).

Call of Duty (series), Grand Theft Auto V (w/online),Resident Evil (main series, RE7), Assassin's Creed series (main series, older AC games), could already work on current Switch, point that some games are not on Switch (at least currently) doesnt mean they are not there because they cant run on Switch.

So Pro model wouldn't improved much regardless AAA 3rd party support for Switch, I highly doubt that most of 3rd parties would want to release game that for instance could be play just small part of Switch install base (counting that those games could be run only on Pro models).

I don't think those games run on Switch as is, the portable performance in the main problem. It needs to have 2-3x the performance to comfortably port those games. 

The developer is not going to build something from scratch for Switch, that's too much work. But you have a chip that's 2x-3x better then it becomes much easier and much more feasible to hand over to a "port studio" and let them do it with a small team. 

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

Call of Duty (series), Grand Theft Auto V (w/online),Resident Evil (main series, RE7), Assassin's Creed series (main series, older AC games), could already work on current Switch, point that some games are not on Switch (at least currently) doesnt mean they are not there because they cant run on Switch.

So Pro model wouldn't improved much regardless AAA 3rd party support for Switch, I highly doubt that most of 3rd parties would want to release game that for instance could be play just small part of Switch install base (counting that those games could be run only on Pro models).

I don't think those games run on Switch as is, the portable performance in the main problem. It needs to have 2-3x the performance to comfortably port those games. 

GTA5 runs on the Xbox 360. Anything that runs on the 360 could run on Switch.

And RE7 is less demanding than Wolfenstein II and Doom, which run on Switch.

Around the Network

More powerful handheld will be catered to last.

1. Smaller/more portable dock - $60
2nd dock for the home and increased home console portability. (Some of us don't care about HH but like to move our home console around).
Compatible with both the original SKU and ........

2. Switch mini -$200
Built in controls
Uses portable dock for 'switching', not compatible with current dock
Same graphics as current Switch but smaller.
Possible improved performance in docked mode if heat isn't an issue.

Switch (TX2) in a dock - $200
It'll be cheaper to make a home console successor before a similarly powered portable.
Nintendo might put an overclocked/non-underclocked Tegra TX2 in a dock before they put it in a portable for Switchs successor.
'Switching' would be achieved with the original SKU tablet or Switch mini (fuck knows how they'd make it as seamless as the current SKU, probably some streaming gimmick).
I don't know why anyone would buy this but I don't why anyone bought the WiiU/GC either yet Nintendo still thought it was a good idea.

3 -Tablet Pro/Switch 2 - $200
The whole system shouldn't need upgrading, just the tablet.

I could see Nintendo ignoring power altogether on the home console front and aiming for Wii/Kinect/eyetoy/multimedia/AR/other instead.
If they can do something DS-like on the portable front then Switch will guarantee it's place as the highest selling console ever.

Bezel-less tablet ($200) that's compatible with original dock and joycons might be a thing.

I'm interested in hearing how a smaller system is going to have a significantly better battery whilst also being more powerful.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

This was a fun discussion. I hope Nintendo still manages to surprise most of us like they always do though

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Nintendo Switch 2 (NS2)
- Launches on Friday, March 3, 2023; Exactly 6 years after the release of Nintendo Switch 1 (NS1).
- Slightly more powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One, but less than PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.
- Native 1080p docked AND undocked; Docked mode adds better lighting, textures, framerate... the usual works.
- Still uses cartridges; Backwards compatible with NS1 games and accessories.
- All Nintendo Switch Online memberships can be transferred over. (They'd be pretty damn stupid otherwise, though I can't put it past Nintendo.)
- Two SKUs , 128GB of internal storage with 1 micro SD card slot.
- $299.99
- Biggest launch title will either be the next Open World Zelda game after Breath of the Wild or a 3D Mario game.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 01 December 2018

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

The developer is not going to build something from scratch for Switch, that's too much work. But you have a chip that's 2x-3x better then it becomes much easier and much more feasible to hand over to a "port studio" and let them do it with a small team. 

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered for instance could run on Switch, GTAV is PS3/360 game so offcourse they could run on Switch with probably higher resolution, RE7 is less demanding game than Doom and Wolfenstein2 in any case, Assassin's Creed The Ezio Collection or other AC remasters could also run on Switch.

Again, point that some game isn't on Switch (at least currently) doesn't meant that game couldnt run on Switch. Actually we had multiply different insiders saying that current one of biggest problem for some biggest 3rd party games coming to Switch is size/cost/availability of Switch carts, and games like GTAV and CoD are heavily hinted examples. So Pro model still wouldnt solved currently one of biggest Switch problems regardles big 3rd party games. I mean there is reason why no one using even 32GB Switch carts (so 16GB is biggest cards that are using).

Maybe games like RDR2 or similar would need to make from scratch, every other more-less could be downgraded. Even we talk about 2-3x higher power we again talking about need for downgrade, I highly doubt that most of 3rd parties would want to release game that for instance could be play just small part of Switch install base while huge part of install game couldnt play them (counting that those games could be run only on Pro models).

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 01 December 2018

a high powered console this time, that will rival that of ps5/xboxtwo plz