By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft might acquire IO Interactive

Microsoft might consider buying IO Interactive.

Leaked by the same guy who mentioned Playground Games and Obsidian.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-studios-ot3-i-thought-they-were-supposed-to-be-sold-off-by-now.75600/page-198#post-15205433

Take it with a grain of salt, but there you go.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

Hmm, considering that management pushed to gain the studio's independence last year I doubt that the thought of an acquisition would cross their minds ...

Now THIS ONE really pisses me off. I was day dreaming about Hitman 2 the last couple of days. Really enjoying it, but didn't have the chance to play it. Now I kinda want to eject the disk and soak it in bleach. The very idea.....I nominated IO for the developer tournament! I'm just going to assume this is happening, and that IO, who I have likely referenced as my favorite developer of all time more than any other ( it fluctuates a bit ), is now lost to me forever. Great way to start the day. #eatshit #hashtag #poundsign

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:

Now THIS ONE really pisses me off. I was day dreaming about Hitman 2 the last couple of days. Really enjoying it, but didn't have the chance to play it. Now I kinda want to eject the disk and soak it in bleach. The very idea.....I nominated IO for the developer tournament! I'm just going to assume this is happening, and that IO, who I have likely referenced as my favorite developer of all time more than any other ( it fluctuates a bit ), is now lost to me forever. Great way to start the day. #eatshit #hashtag #poundsign

Welcome to the club - From former Rare fan

Well it's been 4 and a half years of Phil being incharge, maybe now we'll see the first party support he promised all those years ago..

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Hmm, considering that management pushed to gain the studio's independence last year I doubt that the thought of an acquisition would cross their minds ...

If I remember correctly, the "divorce" was initiated by Square Enix and IO Interactive was searching a buyer at first until they done the management buyout. Perhaps they aren't 100% happy with the current situation where they ain't totally independant anyways (they still need the help of Warner Interactive for publishing) but take most of the risk.

If the offer of Microsoft is good, they'll probably take it and focus on development.

Brian Fargo wasn't a big fan of ubiquitous publishers either in the last decade and was proud of inXile's independence... just look at his Kickstarter promotion videos or FIG. That didn't stop inXile to join Microsft Studios.

they're basically linked to any middling studio who is struggling, so not surprising

I wonder how much you have to pay for a studio as big as Obsidian, Ninja Theory or IO Interactive.
If they keep on going like this, MS will have a crazy first party lineup next gen

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Conina said:

If I remember correctly, the "divorce" was initiated by Square Enix and IO Interactive was searching a buyer at first until they done the management buyout. Perhaps they aren't 100% happy with the current situation where they ain't totally independant anyways (they still need the help of Warner Interactive for publishing) but take most of the risk.

If the offer of Microsoft is good, they'll probably take it and focus on development.

Brian Fargo wasn't a big fan of ubiquitous publishers either in the last decade and was proud of inXile's independence... just look at his Kickstarter promotion videos or FIG. That didn't stop inXile to join Microsft Studios.

As for what happened with inXile and Brian Fargo, that was a decade ago like you pointed out. We don't know exactly what happened over the years that specifically changed his mindset or position on the matter given that views can change especially over such a long time frame ... Pretty sure Warner Bros is only there to handle the distribution just like they did for CD Projekt RED on the Witcher 3 so IO Interactive is practically independent ... 

twintail said:

My understanding is that Hitman 2 is performing badly in sales. Probably they have no choice.

Seems like MS is buying a bunch of failing companies (who make good games).

Good for MS and the company. But do they have the management in place for so many teams so quickly?

Well on the bright side if they do acquire IO they can at least keep the series alive and seriously improve the engine technology along with it ... 

Honestly Remedy games and IO Interactive are perfect for xbox game pass.