By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS5 announcement coming mid 2019 and more info at PSX 2019

Errorist76 said:
VAMatt said:

I see zero chance that MS releases a $500 Xbox, unless they have more than one SKU.  In that case, there might be something at $500, if there's another one cheaper. They just saw how that $500 price tag affected sales at the beginning of this generation. inflation, at least in the dollar, has been relatively low. So that $500 is still $500. If they make that same mistake again, that would be one of the stupidest moves in the history of business.

Similarly, I see zero chance that they really say less powerful console than Sony, unless they truly are caught off guard. That's another mistake they just made, and certainly will have learned from. they have extremely deep pockets, and have  shown lately that they are willing to spend and do intend to be a player in the gaming space. If anything, I expect them to be willing to take a hefty loss on console sales if necessary, in order to stay ahead of Sony in the next generation. Microsoft has a lot more ability to sustain losses for a long time if necessary, if they have a long-term goal in mind.  It looks to me that they are pulling out all the stops to compete.

Actually I don't see any of the two releasing for 400 next gen. The high prices of mid-gen consoles alone make that kind of unlikely. As Amy has already said, considering both consoles will be backwards compatible, I see both releasing at 500 price point and still selling at a loss, considering the prices of the new components in comparison to the mid gen components. 

Considering the power...both consoles will be able to do 4K/30 easily, even 4K/60 for some games....I don't see how a power difference would greatly benefit anyone of the two unless it's a drastic difference. Most people will even still be on 1080p TV's next gen. A few TF more or less are not going to make much of a difference.Ii

If you are correct, I expect people will be very slow to upgrade. But, Sony and Microsoft know this, which is why I doubt you are correct

if anything, the mid generation upgrade show us that $400 is still considered a premium price for a console. Those systems did not move at anywhere near the rate a new one needs to.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Errorist76 said:

Actually I don't see any of the two releasing for 400 next gen. The high prices of mid-gen consoles alone make that kind of unlikely. As Amy has already said, considering both consoles will be backwards compatible, I see both releasing at 500 price point and still selling at a loss, considering the prices of the new components in comparison to the mid gen components. 

Considering the power...both consoles will be able to do 4K/30 easily, even 4K/60 for some games....I don't see how a power difference would greatly benefit anyone of the two unless it's a drastic difference. Most people will even still be on 1080p TV's next gen. A few TF more or less are not going to make much of a difference.Ii

If you are correct, I expect people will be very slow to upgrade. But, Sony and Microsoft know this, which is why I doubt you are correct

if anything, the mid generation upgrade show us that $400 is still considered a premium price for a console. Those systems did not move at anywhere near the rate a new one needs to.

There are other reasons than price for that...Mostly the fact there are cheaper version, no huge benefits because people don't own a 4K TV, most people already owning a console to begin with and no exclusive content, for example. 

We will see. Maybe both will release a disc less version for 50 Dollars less anyway. 

Probably MS will release the next xbox in holiday season 2019, from the sound of latest rumours. If Sony were to follow suit, just like they did with the PS4, they would have to release the next Playstation also around november 2019. With just a few days apart.
But if Sony releases the next Playstation in 2020, that would leave MS having the holidays 2019 for themselves. Yet Sony could be releasing better specs then, coming out later, having had more time to mature the hardware.
Thoug MS seem like they are getting ready to get in pole position with their next console, I really believe Sony slowly are showing an upper hand for the 9. console generation. Alone the stable of first party IP Brands from Sony is staggering going into the next console cycle.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Barkley said:

I disagree that Wii had anything to do with PS3's sales either. That was entirely down to the pricetag, hardware and the Xbox 360.

Also why is PS5 in direct competition if PS4 is not? What is going to make the PS5 appeal to the same people as the Switch, while the PS4 appeals to a different group. I very much doubt the PS5 is going to be different from the PS4 in any major way, it's just going to be the same thing with more power.

Switch is not going to eat into PS5 sales, just as it hasn't eaten into PS4 sales.

A very similar situation happened with the SNES and PS1.  The SNES outsold the PS1, when it was first released.  Here let's take what you just said and see if it applies to the SNES, PS1 and N64.

"Also why is the N64 in direct competition (with PS1) if the SNES is not?  What is going to make the N64 appeal to the same people as the PS1, while the SNES appeals to a different group.  I very much doubt the N64 is going to be different from the SNES in any major way, it's just going to be the same thing with more power.

PS1 is not going to eat into N64 sales, just as it hasn't eaten into SNES sales."

The PlayStation and N64 were much more comparable in terms of power than even the PS4 and Switch. PS5 games will be completely off the reach of anything Switch can handle.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

A very similar situation happened with the SNES and PS1.  The SNES outsold the PS1, when it was first released.  Here let's take what you just said and see if it applies to the SNES, PS1 and N64.

"Also why is the N64 in direct competition (with PS1) if the SNES is not?  What is going to make the N64 appeal to the same people as the PS1, while the SNES appeals to a different group.  I very much doubt the N64 is going to be different from the SNES in any major way, it's just going to be the same thing with more power.

PS1 is not going to eat into N64 sales, just as it hasn't eaten into SNES sales."

I'm sorry but what are you talking about ? SNES sold 49.10M. PS1 sold 104.25M.

Perhaps there is joke or a metaphor somewhere I didn't get since english isn't my first language.

Around the Network
piopakk said:
Probably MS will release the next xbox in holiday season 2019, from the sound of latest rumours. If Sony were to follow suit, just like they did with the PS4, they would have to release the next Playstation also around november 2019. With just a few days apart.
But if Sony releases the next Playstation in 2020, that would leave MS having the holidays 2019 for themselves. Yet Sony could be releasing better specs then, coming out later, having had more time to mature the hardware.
Thoug MS seem like they are getting ready to get in pole position with their next console, I really believe Sony slowly are showing an upper hand for the 9. console generation. Alone the stable of first party IP Brands from Sony is staggering going into the next console cycle.

If you really believe MS will release another XBox 2 years after they have released the last 500 dollar console, you are out of your mind. Even more if you think this should be supported.

Keiji said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Perhaps there is joke or a metaphor somewhere I didn't get since english isn't my first language.

It doesn't make any sense if you don't read the post I replied to.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Keiji said:

It doesn't make any sense if you don't read the post I replied to.

Yes but guys it's getting too complicated for my french brain.

Trumpstyle said:
Intrinsic said:

Nope.

6 months gap can't make any meaningful difference in possible specs.

Another way to look at it, whatever sony anounces whenever they announce it has been in the oven for years before that point. And we know they are both going with AMD. The only way one comes out being as much as 25% or more powerful than the other is if they wait for aother 2 or 3 years, or mke a console that cost significantly more. 

So sny going from a mtch to november lunch in the same year cant possibly mean that we get a more feature packed console. It wll be the same thing.

It's possible sony will launch a cheaper console, a 10TF GPU with 256-bit bus width memory controllers and Microsoft goes with a 384-bit bus width memory controllers with 15TF as we seeing now with ps4 pro and Xbox one X. Reason for this is to keep manufactoring costs down and safe way to play. Very similiar strategy they went with ps4 and ps4 pro. But my guess is same as yours though, they will both launch 15TF consoles in 2020 and it if this reddit dude is correct it will be 499$ launch price.

While I doubt the gap will be that big, I do think that the next xbox will be more powerful than the next PlayStation. Microsoft have been busy lately. They know they need to be more competitive and capture more marketshare before Google and Apple arrive. All the developers acquisitions have really pointed to that.

Resolution-gate was massive at the beginning of the generation. Even if they take a loss they're not letting Sony have the better performing console. Mark my words. They'll dig deeper into their pockets because they have too. If both Apple and Google are even somewhat successful, that'll be 5 manufacturers in the space. Someone is bound to be pushed out.

-CraZed- said:
EricHiggin said:

My thinking based on the rumor, is tease PS5 before e3, and see if you can force MS to make a move or spill the beans at E3 like they did before, then hold a massive 25th anniversary PSX PS5 reveal event to be remembered. Whether it launches soon after, or early 2020, doesn't really matter, as long as the price is right. A $399-$499 PS5 shouldn't hinder a $199 PS4 much at all.

You know, that would actually be smart. Sony is taking a gamble by allegedly skipping E3 and this strategy would make sense of that. 

If MS spills the beans at e3, it gives PS time to figure out how their going to deal with it, like they did with Pro. If PS is going to have a massive 25th anniversary event, whatever that entails, saving up event funds by cancelling PSX 2018 and e3 2019 also makes sense, since they really don't have much else to show on a big stage. If MS is launching mid to late 2020, or they mention nothing at all, then PS shouldn't have to worry, but if MS pulls the trigger early and launches late 2019, PS may end up behind by a few months to a year, worst case, and they could really use the extra time to strategize on how they want to deal with that scenario. By late 2019, it's unlikely that Scarlet has too many first party AAA titles ready to go, so PS should be able to ride out the holidays with PS4 if need be, plus an unforgettable 25th anniversary event(s) scheduled at the right time, should take a fair chunk of Scarlet's spotlight away pending a 2019 launch.