By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS5 announcement coming mid 2019 and more info at PSX 2019

Ps5 will be announced next year early on with a holiday 2019 release date. A slew of cross gen games will be out and it will leave Xbox behind even more. If it can target and acheiev 4k 60fps then that makes it difficult to recommend a pc as the visuals will be more than good enough

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
Barkley said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

There is always a possibility that these are co-releases.  Although GoT and TLOU2 had such good graphics that I would not be surprised if they were planning on making these PS5 games all along.

Well the PS2 was the best selling console of all time.  And because of this massive success, Sony underestimated the competition when they released the PS3.  (They underestimated by Microsoft and Nintendo.)  A smart company learns from its mistakes.  If they are wise they will get the PS5 out as soon as possible to compete with the Switch.  Of course, if they are dumb, then they will not learn from past mistakes and underestimate the competition again.

PS4 isn't in direct competition with Switch and neither will the PS5 be. They're too different and have minimal impact on each other. If you want an example of this PS4's peak year by far was the year Switch launched, clearly Switch didn't have a negative affect on it's sales despite having a strong start selling 13.5m that year.

Xbox/PS are in direct competition because the systems are very similar and the vast majority of software sold is multi-platform available on both and almost identical versions on both.

The direct competition between PS4/Switch is minimal because they appeal to different people as they have very different software libraries.

You are right that the PS4 isn't in direct competition with the Switch.  However the PS5 is in direct competition with the Switch.  The PS5 and Switch have more in common than the PS3 and Wii.  And yet PS3 sales were stagnating whenever the Wii was selling well.

If the Wii can affect the PS3's sales, then you can be sure that the Switch will definitely eat into PS5 sales.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Barkley said:

PS4 isn't in direct competition with Switch and neither will the PS5 be. They're too different and have minimal impact on each other. If you want an example of this PS4's peak year by far was the year Switch launched, clearly Switch didn't have a negative affect on it's sales despite having a strong start selling 13.5m that year.

Xbox/PS are in direct competition because the systems are very similar and the vast majority of software sold is multi-platform available on both and almost identical versions on both.

The direct competition between PS4/Switch is minimal because they appeal to different people as they have very different software libraries.

You are right that the PS4 isn't in direct competition with the Switch.  However the PS5 is in direct competition with the Switch.  The PS5 and Switch have more in common than the PS3 and Wii.  And yet PS3 sales were stagnating whenever the Wii was selling well.

If the Wii can affect the PS3's sales, then you can be sure that the Switch will definitely eat into PS5 sales.

I disagree that Wii had anything to do with PS3's sales either. That was entirely down to the pricetag, hardware and the Xbox 360.

Also why is PS5 in direct competition if PS4 is not? What is going to make the PS5 appeal to the same people as the Switch, while the PS4 appeals to a different group. I very much doubt the PS5 is going to be different from the PS4 in any major way, it's just going to be the same thing with more power.

Switch is not going to eat into PS5 sales, just as it hasn't eaten into PS4 sales.

VAMatt said:
thismeintiel said:

Sony also has the advantage that they are getting Navi, which, according to rumors, AMD has been working very closely with Sony on.  My guess is that Navi is going be much more efficient, while MS is going to have to brute force their way to similar power using Vega.  I think Sony will still end up with a slight advantage over the XB2.  Or if MS does have an advantage, we are looking at another $500 machine.  Either way, Sony is going to be in a good position next gen to continue their success.

I see zero chance that MS releases a $500 Xbox, unless they have more than one SKU.  In that case, there might be something at $500, if there's another one cheaper. They just saw how that $500 price tag affected sales at the beginning of this generation. inflation, at least in the dollar, has been relatively low. So that $500 is still $500. If they make that same mistake again, that would be one of the stupidest moves in the history of business.

Similarly, I see zero chance that they really say less powerful console than Sony, unless they truly are caught off guard. That's another mistake they just made, and certainly will have learned from. they have extremely deep pockets, and have  shown lately that they are willing to spend and do intend to be a player in the gaming space. If anything, I expect them to be willing to take a hefty loss on console sales if necessary, in order to stay ahead of Sony in the next generation. Microsoft has a lot more ability to sustain losses for a long time if necessary, if they have a long-term goal in mind.  It looks to me that they are pulling out all the stops to compete.

Actually I don't see any of the two releasing for 400 next gen. The high prices of mid-gen consoles alone make that kind of unlikely. As Amy has already said, considering both consoles will be backwards compatible, I see both releasing at 500 price point and still selling at a loss, considering the prices of the new components in comparison to the mid gen components. 

Considering the power...both consoles will be able to do 4K/30 easily, even 4K/60 for some games....I don't see how a power difference would greatly benefit anyone of the two unless it's a drastic difference. Most people will even still be on 1080p TV's next gen. A few TF more or less are not going to make much of a difference.

Kerotan said: 
I've been saying 2020 at the earliest for years even when most were convinced of 2018 and 2019. Hopefully I'm right.

Who has ever stated 2018? 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Errorist76 said:

I doubt they’ll release it before the big games like GoT, TLOU2 or Death Stranding are out on PS4.

There is always a possibility that these are co-releases.  Although GoT and TLOU2 had such good graphics that I would not be surprised if they were planning on making these PS5 games all along.

That's BS. Games have always been confirmed as PS4 titles running on Pro in the trailers. The step for next gen will be much bigger. BTW haven't you played GoW or RDR2? Those graphics are far from unrealistic after playing RDR2.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:

My thinking based on the rumor, is tease PS5 before e3, and see if you can force MS to make a move or spill the beans at E3 like they did before, then hold a massive 25th anniversary PSX PS5 reveal event to be remembered. Whether it launches soon after, or early 2020, doesn't really matter, as long as the price is right. A $399-$499 PS5 shouldn't hinder a $199 PS4 much at all.

You know, that would actually be smart. Sony is taking a gamble by allegedly skipping E3 and this strategy would make sense of that. 

Kerotan said:
I've been saying 2020 at the earliest for years even when most were convinced of 2018 and 2019. Hopefully I'm right.

I´ve been thinking 2020 as well, question is around March or only around October/November?

Soundwave said:
If I'm Microsoft I'd wait a bit and then release a more powerful system in late 2020.

Makes sense.  But it seems that power is becoming less and less of an issue with each console generation.

Barkley said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I disagree that Wii had anything to do with PS3's sales either. That was entirely down to the pricetag, hardware and the Xbox 360.

Also why is PS5 in direct competition if PS4 is not? What is going to make the PS5 appeal to the same people as the Switch, while the PS4 appeals to a different group. I very much doubt the PS5 is going to be different from the PS4 in any major way, it's just going to be the same thing with more power.

Switch is not going to eat into PS5 sales, just as it hasn't eaten into PS4 sales.

A very similar situation happened with the SNES and PS1.  The SNES outsold the PS1, when it was first released.  Here let's take what you just said and see if it applies to the SNES, PS1 and N64.

"Also why is the N64 in direct competition (with PS1) if the SNES is not?  What is going to make the N64 appeal to the same people as the PS1, while the SNES appeals to a different group.  I very much doubt the N64 is going to be different from the SNES in any major way, it's just going to be the same thing with more power.

PS1 is not going to eat into N64 sales, just as it hasn't eaten into SNES sales."

Errorist76 said:
VAMatt said:

I see zero chance that MS releases a $500 Xbox, unless they have more than one SKU.  In that case, there might be something at $500, if there's another one cheaper. They just saw how that $500 price tag affected sales at the beginning of this generation. inflation, at least in the dollar, has been relatively low. So that $500 is still $500. If they make that same mistake again, that would be one of the stupidest moves in the history of business.

Similarly, I see zero chance that they really say less powerful console than Sony, unless they truly are caught off guard. That's another mistake they just made, and certainly will have learned from. they have extremely deep pockets, and have  shown lately that they are willing to spend and do intend to be a player in the gaming space. If anything, I expect them to be willing to take a hefty loss on console sales if necessary, in order to stay ahead of Sony in the next generation. Microsoft has a lot more ability to sustain losses for a long time if necessary, if they have a long-term goal in mind.  It looks to me that they are pulling out all the stops to compete.

Actually I don't see any of the two releasing for 400 next gen. The high prices of mid-gen consoles alone make that kind of unlikely. As Amy has already said, considering both consoles will be backwards compatible, I see both releasing at 500 price point and still selling at a loss, considering the prices of the new components in comparison to the mid gen components. 

Considering the power...both consoles will be able to do 4K/30 easily, even 4K/60 for some games....I don't see how a power difference would greatly benefit anyone of the two unless it's a drastic difference. Most people will even still be on 1080p TV's next gen. A few TF more or less are not going to make much of a difference.

Kerotan said: 

Who has ever stated 2018? 

Check the threads from years ago. People were convinced long gens were over and that we would have a 5 year gen. Ludicrous.