By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony will not be at E3 2019 for the first time!!!

Mar1217 said:
KLXVER said:
wow seems like many people don't care about E3 anymore. I still love it. The hype and just the amount of exciting news at once is always great. I don't care what this means or doesn't mean for Sony and their competition. I just love E3 and next year will not have one of the greats.

Putting people's bias aside, I'll always love the presence of video games in mainstream media during this short week. Also, lots of announcements to be excited about. I mean with the last showing from Sony and them preparing themselves for the next generation, would we really want them to just repeat the same pull as last year ? Doubt people would be crying in excitement this time ...

Well their E3 this year didn't hurt. They are still breaking records. 

Around the Network

December 3rd 1994 the ps1 launched. Hopefully they host PSX 2019 on that date to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Will they announce ps5 there with a 2020 release date? Possibly.

I agree with their decision cancelling psx and e3. What's the point of showing 2 more trailers for Death Stranding, TLOU2, Ghost of tsutshima, dreams etc. Yeah it would be good for 3rd parties but for this stage of the gen aka the final 2 years, 1 event per year is enough.

Shiken said:
Madword said:
I think there is some short sighted thinking here on VG... over at resetera a few of us are thinking why this might be the case.

Early 2020 (march) launch for Ps5, why do E3, too early for talk about PS5...some negativity of course but its the end of the PS4/Xbox gen whatever MS shows wont impact this gen's sales (especially if a new console is then out by the next E3). Sony will have a show in September to talk about PS5.

No point going to E3 to talk about PS4 games that everyone already knows about, people will be people and just moan.

I believe you are right, outside of one thing.  PS5 will come holiday 2020, not early 2020.  Change my mind...

*drinks coffee*

You may well be right, that would also make perfect sense. Skip E3 in June 2019, push out some updates and then PSX or early showing 2020 for end of year release. Still makes sense, I think that all depends on when Sony have their own shows in 2019, that will make it easier to spot potential early or late 2020 release.

*goes to get coffee and then sit down to watch A bridge too Far*

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Playstation Direct

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Nintendo already won E3 2019!

But that's kind of shocking yet understandable. On one hand, as of now you don't need E3 to get the word out there, online live presentations get more views than people that can attend. But on the other, this is not looking good for E3.

Around the Network

Sony wants what Nintendo have, can't blame them

E3 is not that relevant the biggest launch of all time in RDR2 happened with out being at a single E3, Switch launched just fine with out even being at a single E3 before its release and most of it's momentum come from independent NDs outside of it so it's no surprise Sony follow suit as well.

Shiken said:
Madword said:
I think there is some short sighted thinking here on VG... over at resetera a few of us are thinking why this might be the case.

Early 2020 (march) launch for Ps5, why do E3, too early for talk about PS5...some negativity of course but its the end of the PS4/Xbox gen whatever MS shows wont impact this gen's sales (especially if a new console is then out by the next E3). Sony will have a show in September to talk about PS5.

No point going to E3 to talk about PS4 games that everyone already knows about, people will be people and just moan.

I believe you are right, outside of one thing.  PS5 will come holiday 2020, not early 2020.  Change my mind...

*drinks coffee*

You see... it's a matter of opportunity and convenience for Sony, and "specific month" for launch is irrelevant.

I believe it's a matter of producing components, assembling consoles and correct timing to maximize production.

it does not matter when the console is going to be launched during the first year, the most important thing is to produce as many numbers as possible to cover the demand. That said, putting the product as soon as possible in the market, regardless of the period of the year, seems to be the most logical action

I think people who see the PS5 release as being as far off as end of 2020 are just crazy. That's over two years from now. What do you expect Sony to do for the next year and a half, just keep showing new trailers of years-old announced PS4 games? While Microsoft and Nintendo continue having events and announcing new stuff, you just expect Sony to sit back with some vague promise of a future PS5 announcement for the next two years?

At the latest, the PS5 should be unveiled during summer 2019 for a release either holiday 2019 or early 2020. I'm still hoping they'll opt for late 2019.

Sony going on radio silence for PSX and E3 was a surprise, but an interesting move. My gut tells me they're trying not to spread out conferences with little content and just give a well-packed conference at the right moment when they're not overshadowed by six conferences before them.

The statement does say "We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you." so it wouldn't be too crazy to expect one or two independent conferences chuck full of next-gen announcements like a PS5 hardware and pricing reveal and new/upcoming software. Who knows? Maybe they'll reveal some "Exclusive" and "World Premiere" first and third party games before E3. I'm sure they just want to see how hot the new technologies will be in the future and not make a mistake. Like going fully digital/streaming and getting completely shunned by customers and critics, or fully stick to physical while other companies make a full jump into the future, leaving Sony behind unable to catch up on both instances.

I guess they just want Microsoft, Nintendo, EA, Ubisoft and the rest to lay their cards on the table first. This is a chance for Sony to work in "secrecy" on whatever they'll do for next gen without someone getting the jump on their projects.

Last edited by Mr_No - on 15 November 2018