By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Mnementh said:
Flilix said:

I've got some catching up to do.

- Shows off the capabilities of the system, you don't even need to use buttons!
- Microgames

- Swedish digging game

- In the top 100 best selling games, for the 7th year now

- Get all your guys to the exit

- This game very recently got ported to another console

- Both redesigned classic stages, and new stages that feel like classics

#28: Wario Ware Smooth Moves

#26: Steamworld Dig

#25: Minecraft

#24: Lemmings

#22: Katamari Damacy

#20 Sonic Mania

#28 Close.

#26 Correct!

#25 No, it's something on one single platform.

#24 Huh, good guess. Now I think about it, there are probably quite a lot games that could fit that hint. But the game I'm talking about has a very literal 'EXIT'.

#22 Nope.

#20 Correct!

Around the Network

Time for one more set of hints before we get to the top 10.

#14: Lot of weird people in the Jungles of the Soviet Union.

#13: Many kings have come and gone, one succumbed to poison, another to flame, still another sleeps under a city encased in ice, and for each king a queen appeared, a fragment of the soul of the first man searching for purpose.

#12: The final chapter in the journey of a thief.

#11: A fungus-based apocalypse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
(Change YoY: Same Rank)

You know, I really need to go back and play through the first two Trails in the Sky games one of these days. It hasn't even been that long since I actually played them, but very few games in the last decade or so have had quite the impact on me as these two did. Not only did they introduce me to a series that is now only behind Final Fantasy and Dark Souls in my personal favourite franchises of all time, but they also convinced me to start playing the Trails of Cold Steel games as soon as I had finished them.

There are very few other games I can think of that have done such an amazing job at telling an interesting and emotionally rewarding story as the two Trails in the Sky titles. The I have rarely gotten quite as attached to characters as I did for the ones here, and following their journey over two lengthy games is to this day among my favourite video game related memories. With excellent music and deep gameplay to go along, these are genuinely some of the best games I've ever experienced.

Astérix

• Sony PlayStation
  • Turn-based Strategy
  • Infogrames
  • Guessed by Flilix

A very unknown and niche game which is actually one of the best the original PlayStation had to offer from it's huge library. You had to be a European though to appreciate 'Astérix', because it was only released here. It is a turn-based strategy game in the vein of the newer and much more famous 'Total War' series, but a much lighter, less serious take on the genre.

Like the comic books, the game is about the small Gallic village's struggle to stay independent from the Romans under Caesar. From the starting village on, the objective is to strengthen your regions and conquer Roman ones by adding doses of "magic potion" to each, which basically acts as units. Some regions contain a mini-game where the player assumes the role of either Asterix, Obelix or another character, which has to be completed before the region is conquered. These mini-games can be a multitude of different things ranging from a platforming level to a fighting stage.

For a game with such a simple and innocent appearance and being aimed primarily at children, it is actually quite challenging. The game is won when your territory includes all the regions that contain a mini-game and reaches all the way to Italy. Being an Asterix game, obviously the game takes place in France, or Gaul to be precise. The challenging nature, along with the variety and the slapstick humor, makes for an addicting little game!

#15: In this famous game, the protagonist was supposed to have a mount, but technical limitations led to the idea instead having to wait for the sequel on a new console.

Darashiva said:

#13: Many kings have come and gone, one succumbed to poison, another to flame, still another sleeps under a city encased in ice, and for each king a queen appeared, a fragment of the soul of the first man searching for purpose.

#12: The final chapter in the journey of a thief.

#13: Reigns: Kings and Queens?

#12: Uncharted 4

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
#21 Fire Emblem Awakening
guessed by Mr.GameCrazy
platform 3DS
release year 2012
developer/publisher Intelligent Systems/Nintendo
genre turn-based tactical role-playing
links Wikipedia
last year  #4

The Fire Emblem series works very well to satisfy my tactical fight need. Awakening was great in many regards: it had a lot of content, interesting story and a great presentation. I liked it very much, and seemingly I wasn't alone with that, because Awakening brought Fire Emblem in a new class of sales, basically doubling the sales of every previous entry.

This game and many others coming to my TOP 50 are the reason I have the 3DS in so high regard. It is was my most beloved dedicated gaming device, although Switch is getting to that title very fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnp50RFzWVY

Last edited by Mnementh - on 16 December 2018

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Still behind schedule.

a) This was a surprising revival of a series that was dormant for 20 years.
b) Yeah, this is the REAL Lord of the underworld! The boss fight we just had was an underling.
c) So many gods! And they all talk a lot.
d) "Pyrrhon senses danger. And now... Pyrrhon sees it."

a) The same series as #21, this was a direct sequel of an earlier entry on a new console generation.
b) The girl with silver hair.
c) Shapeshifter.
d) The Dawn Brigade.

#18: Guessed by Landale_Star: Dragon Quest Builders

#17: Guessed by Darashiva: The Secret of Monkey Island

a) Transhumanism: The Game!
b) Got implants without consent, while recovering from serious injuries.

a) The gameplay of one RPG-series of that company combined with the characters of another RPG-series.
b) Draw maps on graph paper.

a) What is the cause for the hollowborn?
b) Maybe because we killed a god?

a) If you drink water contaminated with industrial waste, you take over the world!
b) Crazy time-travel toilets.

#12: Guessed by Darashiva: Baldur's Gate

a) This is a japanese spin-off game of a western RPG-series.

Mnementh said:

Still behind schedule.

a) This was a surprising revival of a series that was dormant for 20 years.
b) Yeah, this is the REAL Lord of the underworld! The boss fight we just had was an underling.
c) So many gods! And they all talk a lot.
d) "Pyrrhon senses danger. And now... Pyrrhon sees it."

a) The same series as #21, this was a direct sequel of an earlier entry on a new console generation.
b) The girl with silver hair.
c) Shapeshifter.
d) The Dawn Brigade.

#18: Guessed by Landale_Star: Dragon Quest Builders

#17: Guessed by Darashiva: The Secret of Monkey Island

a) Transhumanism: The Game!
b) Got implants without consent, while recovering from serious injuries.

a) The gameplay of one RPG-series of that company combined with the characters of another RPG-series.
b) Draw maps on graph paper.

a) What is the cause for the hollowborn?
b) Maybe because we killed a god?

a) If you drink water contaminated with industrial waste, you take over the world!
b) Crazy time-travel toilets.

#12: Guessed by Darashiva: Baldur's Gate

#11 Wizardy Gaiden

OTBWY said:
Mnementh said:

#11 Wizardy Gaiden

This hint was WAY to non-specific, and still you got kinda close. Wanna give it another try?

Mnementh said:
OTBWY said:

#11 Wizardy Gaiden

This hint was WAY to non-specific, and still you got kinda close. Wanna give it another try?

Wizardry Gaiden IV or Wizardry Gaiden III

Maybe Wizardry Summoner.

A platform hint would be nice.