By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 9th Annual Greatest Games Event - Discussion Thread

Mnementh said:
Darashiva said:

#13: Many kings have come and gone, one succumbed to poison, another to flame, still another sleeps under a city encased in ice, and for each king a queen appeared, a fragment of the soul of the first man searching for purpose.

#12: The final chapter in the journey of a thief.

#13: Reigns: Kings and Queens?

#12: Uncharted 4

Correct on Uncharted, but not on Reigns.

That leaves these games unguessed:

#14: Lot of weird people in the Jungles of the Soviet Union.

#13: Many kings have come and gone, one succumbed to poison, another to flame, still another sleeps under a city encased in ice, and for each king a queen appeared, a fragment of the soul of the first man, all searching for purpose.

#11: A fungus-based apocalypse.

Last edited by Darashiva - on 16 December 2018

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Darashiva said:

17: The Secret of Monkey Island?

12. Baldur's Gate

Right and very right.

OTBWY said:

#15 Final Fantasy Tactics?

Nope, I never played FFT. I am intrigued though, after LiquidLaser talked about it, but with my assortment of hardware it might be difficult to get without resorting to piracy. PSP would probably the best option, but I never got one. I can't see it on PS3.

You can play the PS1 game on a PS3, btw.  The graphics are not quite as good as the original hardware, but it's not really a game about graphics anyway.

S.Peelman said:
#15: In this famous game, the protagonist was supposed to have a mount, but technical limitations led to the idea instead having to wait for the sequel on a new console.

15. Link to the Past?

Mnementh said:

Still behind schedule.

a) This was a surprising revival of a series that was dormant for 20 years.
b) Yeah, this is the REAL Lord of the underworld! The boss fight we just had was an underling.
c) So many gods! And they all talk a lot.
d) "Pyrrhon senses danger. And now... Pyrrhon sees it."

a) The same series as #21, this was a direct sequel of an earlier entry on a new console generation.
b) The girl with silver hair.
c) Shapeshifter.
d) The Dawn Brigade.

#18: Guessed by Landale_Star: Dragon Quest Builders

#17: Guessed by Darashiva: The Secret of Monkey Island

a) Transhumanism: The Game!
b) Got implants without consent, while recovering from serious injuries.

a) The gameplay of one RPG-series of that company combined with the characters of another RPG-series.
b) Draw maps on graph paper.

a) What is the cause for the hollowborn?
b) Maybe because we killed a god?

a) If you drink water contaminated with industrial waste, you take over the world!
b) Crazy time-travel toilets.

#12: Guessed by Darashiva: Baldur's Gate

a) This is a japanese spin-off game of a western RPG-series.

19.  Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
15.  Persona Q
13.  Day of the Tentacle

mZuzek said:

Hey. (yes, I'm still alive)

It's been hard to find the willingness to come here lately because it's Smash season, but I think it's winding down enough that I could dedicate some time to doing this again. So, time to catch up... a lot.

#24 - This 90's game's terrible voice acting is as infamous as it is beloved.
The prologue features particularly notable dialogue, some of which has been reused this year in a trailer for another game.

#22 - Shortly after fighting yourself, you fight the Statue of Liberty. I'm also getting into quite the spoilery territory here... oh well.
It's a shooter game, and the spoiler stuff above is from a DLC campaign.

#21 - She's back. (Well, the phrase loses a bit of impact a year later.)
However, she isn't really back, because this game was just a remake. She will be back soon, though.

#20 - A big chunk of this game only exists because of Satoru Iwata's contribution in development.
#19 - A dark, immersive and intense rhythm game that features no catchy or recognizable music. It was promoted as "rhythm violence".
#18 - There's a light and dark world, three temples and several keys you have to collect to unlock each. No, it's not a Zelda game.
#17 - The only game in this long-running and highly successful franchise to break the norm and feature a different ending from the other entries.
#16 - A certain screen of this game is commonly used as a meme when something big (such as a game release) is close to happening.

21.  Metroid Zero Mission
20.  Earthbound

I am super way behind on clues so here goes nothing.

30.  The month after this popular game was released, the Wii sold 4 million consoles NPD, a record that has still not been broken.
29.  This first game in the series was known for it's extremely robust toolset including letting you play computer D&D in a way that felt like tabletop D&D.
28.  This 4th entry of a popular NES series was the first entry on the SNES.  Not Mario.
27.  This PS2 super-hero game had a very similar popular game come out this year on the PS4.
26.  For a long time this online game was the most profitable game in the series.  Of course since then they've released a second online game.
25.  This Switch game combines the most popular game ever made with another game that is popular in Japan.
24.  This is the first game from a competing console that really gave Mario a run for his money.
23.  Build your own theme park.  First game in the series.
22.  When people play this classic game they still say, "what?  Mario is the ref?"
21.  At the end of arcade game, you have to fight the other player to see who gets the girl.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

30.  The month after this popular game was released, the Wii sold 4 million consoles NPD, a record that has still not been broken.
29.  This first game in the series was known for it's extremely robust toolset including letting you play computer D&D in a way that felt like tabletop D&D.
28.  This 4th entry of a popular NES series was the first entry on the SNES.  Not Mario.
27.  This PS2 super-hero game had a very similar popular game come out this year on the PS4.
26.  For a long time this online game was the most profitable game in the series.  Of course since then they've released a second online game.
25.  This Switch game combines the most popular game ever made with another game that is popular in Japan.
24.  This is the first game from a competing console that really gave Mario a run for his money.
22.  When people play this classic game they still say, "what?  Mario is the ref?"
21.  At the end of arcade game, you have to fight the other player to see who gets the girl.

28: Final Fantasy IV

27: Spider-Man 2

26: Final Fantasy XI

24: Sonic The Hedgehog

22: Punch-Out

21: Double Dragon

Darashiva said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

28: Final Fantasy IV

27: Spider-Man 2

26: Final Fantasy XI

24: Sonic The Hedgehog

22: Punch-Out

21: Double Dragon

The bottom 5 are all correct.  #28 is a good guess, but since I am from the US, I experienced FF4 as FF2.  It's not the game I had in mind.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Mnementh said:

This hint was WAY to non-specific, and still you got kinda close. Wanna give it another try?

Wizardry Gaiden IV or Wizardry Gaiden III

Maybe Wizardry Summoner.

A platform hint would be nice.

Still wrong. But yeah, I can give you the platform, look at the next batch of hints.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

Right and very right.

Nope, I never played FFT. I am intrigued though, after LiquidLaser talked about it, but with my assortment of hardware it might be difficult to get without resorting to piracy. PSP would probably the best option, but I never got one. I can't see it on PS3.

You can play the PS1 game on a PS3, btw.  The graphics are not quite as good as the original hardware, but it's not really a game about graphics anyway.

Mnementh said:

Still behind schedule.

b) Yeah, this is the REAL Lord of the underworld! The boss fight we just had was an underling.

a) The same series as #21, this was a direct sequel of an earlier entry on a new console generation.
b) The girl with silver hair.
c) Shapeshifter.
d) The Dawn Brigade.

a) The gameplay of one RPG-series of that company combined with the characters of another RPG-series.
b) Draw maps on graph paper.

a) If you drink water contaminated with industrial waste, you take over the world!
b) Crazy time-travel toilets.

15.  Persona Q
13.  Day of the Tentacle

Regarding FFT: Hmm, do I need the physical game? Does the PS3 plays physical PS1 games? Or is it available digital. I have to check... but no, in the shop I find only the PSP game for Vita, which I also don't own. Damn it.

Regarding your guesses: it seems you cannot leave the lead to Darashiva. Correct on all three.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

#29: Neverwinter Nights?

#25: Puyo Puyo Tetris?

#23: erm, Theme Park from Bullfrog?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Still behind schedule.

e) This 3DS game had a character which was before in Smash on Wii.
Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Kid Icarus Uprising

#19: Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

c) Play in Detroit and Heng Sha.
Guessed by Darashiva: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

#15: Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Persona Q

c) The game got this year a sequel.
Guessed by Darashiva: Pillars of Eternity

#13: Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Day of the Tentacle

b) This PS2 game also released outside of Japan.
Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Wizardry: Tale of the forsaken land

a) This DOS first-person shooter used a well-known universe.
Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Star Wars: Dark Forces

Last edited by Mnementh - on 17 December 2018

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:
OTBWY said:

Wizardry Gaiden IV or Wizardry Gaiden III

Maybe Wizardry Summoner.

A platform hint would be nice.

Still wrong. But yeah, I can give you the platform, look at the next batch of hints.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

15.  Persona Q
13.  Day of the Tentacle

Regarding FFT: Hmm, do I need the physical game? Does the PS3 plays physical PS1 games? Or is it available digital. I have to check... but no, in the shop I find only the PSP game for Vita, which I also don't own. Damn it.

Regarding your guesses: it seems you cannot leave the lead to Darashiva. Correct on all three.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

#29: Neverwinter Nights?

#25: Puyo Puyo Tetris?

#23: erm, Theme Park from Bullfrog?

29 and 25 are correct!

Mnementh said:

Still behind schedule.

20.  Kid Icarus Uprising
11.  Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Lands
10.  Star Wars: Dark Forces

More clues:

30.a)  The month after this popular game was released, the Wii sold 4 million consoles NPD, a record that has still not been broken.
b)  This is the first time this series allowed 4 player co-op.

28.  a) This 4th entry of a popular NES series was the first entry on the SNES.  Not Mario.
b)  I always wondered why the hero to this game wasn't named Van Helsing

23. a)  Build your own theme park.  First game in the series.
b)  Although you build a whole theme park, there is one type of ride that seems to be the focus of the series.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

Still behind schedule.

20.  Kid Icarus Uprising
11.  Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Lands
10.  Star Wars: Dark Forces

You're on fire. Again all three correct. And for Dark Forces I didn't even had given out very specific hints.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More clues:

30.a)  The month after this popular game was released, the Wii sold 4 million consoles NPD, a record that has still not been broken.
b)  This is the first time this series allowed 4 player co-op.

28.  a) This 4th entry of a popular NES series was the first entry on the SNES.  Not Mario.
b)  I always wondered why the hero to this game wasn't named Van Helsing

23. a)  Build your own theme park.  First game in the series.
b)  Although you build a whole theme park, there is one type of ride that seems to be the focus of the series.

#30: New Super Mario Bros Wii

#28: Super Castlevania IV

#23: Roller Coaster Tycoon?