By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - People Worked Up Over Mr. Game N Watch

The depiction of these characters in the original game is neither offensive nor racist.

Around the Network

Being Australian I don’t know how how offensive this is to the Native American people, if it is then it’s just a minor aesthetically change that hurts nobody and appeases some so no harm. Though with my limited knowledge and thus ignorance of the situation I find it no more offensive than a cave man with a club, an old English knight in a suit of armour, Samaria attire, togas, kilts or boomerangs. It’s just cultural history, right? If he turned red in the animation I could understand and would openly push for removing it. Anyways, it doesn’t change the game and if it was removed prior to footage being shown then it wouldn’t matter. Again, Australian and could be missing a sensitive issue here so feel free to correct me :)

DarthMetalliCube said:
Nintendo will chicken out and get rid of this for the final release (or in a patch), Mark. my. words. Everyone is so quick to give into the loudest few extremists, as they are terrified of any kind of corporate backlash, it happens time after time. I call it cultural terrorism. It'll happen, just watch. I promise you.. Smh.

LMAO did I call it or did I call it?? Smh, society is so predictable. Man, I can't wait for this ultra puritanical PC fad to die, just like it did after the early 90s..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:
DarthMetalliCube said:
Nintendo will chicken out and get rid of this for the final release (or in a patch), Mark. my. words. Everyone is so quick to give into the loudest few extremists, as they are terrified of any kind of corporate backlash, it happens time after time. I call it cultural terrorism. It'll happen, just watch. I promise you.. Smh.

LMAO did I call it or did I call it?? Smh, society is so predictable. Man, I can't wait for this ultra puritanical PC fad to die, just like it did after the early 90s..

Honestly,why wouldn't Nintendo cave?  It's a huge entertainment corporation with nothing to gain by taking a tough stance on a tiny animation. There is no reason for a mega entertainment company like Nintendo to take a strong political stance, the vast majority of Smash players will never know it happened and do not want politics in their games anyway. 

What I find hilarious is the source that I will not name is after Smash, when something like Street Fighter is entirely built on racial stereotypes.

outlawauron said:
0D0 said:

When did they? The last time I watched an indians game, the chief was there on their hats.

They will be dropping it this year.

They had already ordered full team gear and as there isn't a replacement yet, they'll have a new logo to show soon.

I see. I didn't know that. I thought this thing had been dropped.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network

Muh 2 frames.

SJW, what a joke.

Runa216 said:
Oh good, Nintendo is removing the feather. Definitely the right move as far as I can tell.

Another win for social progress. Good job, Nintendo; I love that you're willing to see that such things ARE offensive and that, while they may have been okay 30 years ago there's no reason to perpetuate it today. And no, 'adherence to tradition' is not a good enough reason to perpetuate negative stereotypes. If you think it is, then maybe you should reevaluate yourself.

While this is a video game character, I hardly care.

BUT, this is just a slippery slope it seems. I mean we are tearing down statues, renaming buildings, ect. While I'm no confederate fan, I'm worried that our social justice is just another way of us rewriting history to show that we never did anything bad.

You know how the winner writes history how they want it. That is what I'm afraid of. Our children will never know that there is such a thing as the holocaust or the civil war or racism, because in order to protect on anothers feelings we hide it from them or erase it from history.

thegamerpad said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

That is a silly argument. At no point did he say he was upset by it.

Also, if people are offended that (your example), especially Romans (or even Italians), then who would I be to tell them they are incorrect to be upset over something they feel misrepresents their culture or values? The bigger question would be, "should I be upset that people are upset over something that they find offensive" because not everything on Earth will offend me. But that does not mean other people that are offended should be ignored because I am not offended.

Playing the "if people" offended is never going to work because there will always be people offended on either side.   Some Native Americans are offended at the constant removal of their likeness from things such as this.   You have to go more by a majority if anything, not just because 2% of people find something offensive we must appease them.   

Also, do we have any evidence/proof that it was actual native americans being offended?  Or was it some white guilt resetEra members trying to tell native americans they should be offended?    

An Indian Head-dress/feather is not a misrepresentation any more than a Laurel wreath is for roman.

What you posted here makes no sense. None at all. But then again, I expect nothing less from people that try to tell other people what is and is not acceptable to be offended by. You see, where you have it wrong is right there. I have the right to be offended by anything I feel offended by (genuinely). For example, I was offended by Trump's, "grab em by the pussy" line. However, you may not have been. Some women were offended by that. Others were not. Those that are offended should be allowed to express their feelings just the same as those who are not offended. I can be offended and subsequently you have the right to not be offended by it just the same. Ultimately, I am allowed to speak my mind and you are as well. It is up to the powers that be to make a decision to change things or not and it is up to you and I to decide how we will progress based on those decisions. But telling someone they cannot be offended or that they should not express their opinion is as ludicrous to me as your view of those that voice their opinion are to you. And that is what your initial post attempted to do by asking that question. It was a, "if you are not offended by this, you cannot be offended by that (anything)" type of question. Which is silly. The world is bigger than just one man's opinion.

You ultimately are pushing for people to not express themselves and use their freedom of speech which is totally incorrect. I have no idea who is really upset over it. I would think, just like with any large group, there will be some people that are and other people that are not offended by it. But I am not going to ignore those that are offended because some people are not offended. That is cherrypicking. I believe ultimately, everyone should be allowed to voice how they feel and then leave the decision to the company or powers that be. Being told not to speak how you feel is oppression and I am adamantly against that no matter which group of people are upset (Native Americans, sjw's, adversaries to each of those groups, or otherwise).

Last edited by GhaudePhaede010 - on 08 November 2018

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

irstupid said:
Runa216 said:
Oh good, Nintendo is removing the feather. Definitely the right move as far as I can tell.

Another win for social progress. Good job, Nintendo; I love that you're willing to see that such things ARE offensive and that, while they may have been okay 30 years ago there's no reason to perpetuate it today. And no, 'adherence to tradition' is not a good enough reason to perpetuate negative stereotypes. If you think it is, then maybe you should reevaluate yourself.

While this is a video game character, I hardly care.

BUT, this is just a slippery slope it seems. I mean we are tearing down statues, renaming buildings, ect. While I'm no confederate fan, I'm worried that our social justice is just another way of us rewriting history to show that we never did anything bad.

You know how the winner writes history how they want it. That is what I'm afraid of. Our children will never know that there is such a thing as the holocaust or the civil war or racism, because in order to protect on anothers feelings we hide it from them or erase it from history.

Do you ever get tired of making such laboured leaps of logic? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android