By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - People Worked Up Over Mr. Game N Watch

0D0 said:
outlawauron said:

I mean, Cleveland already dropped that logo and there are a lot of people actively campaigning to rename the Redskins.

When did they? The last time I watched an indians game, the chief was there on their hats.

They will be dropping it this year.

They had already ordered full team gear and as there isn't a replacement yet, they'll have a new logo to show soon.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Vodacixi said:

This is not racism at all though...

A racist image/ stereotype is exactly that.

Whether a larger enough group of ppl care is another thing though.

It's only racist if your intention is to offend someone. I seriously doubt that was Nintendo's intention. Using the image of a native american with feathers on its head and using a torch has nothing wrong per se.

Wow I was so completely right over ten years ago I should get a statue.

This is not necessarily about the topic of this thread but it’s proof once again. Social Media is evil. Completely and utterly evil. Facebook and Twitter have made the world worse. Way, way, worse.

Oh good, Nintendo is removing the feather. Definitely the right move as far as I can tell.

Another win for social progress. Good job, Nintendo; I love that you're willing to see that such things ARE offensive and that, while they may have been okay 30 years ago there's no reason to perpetuate it today. And no, 'adherence to tradition' is not a good enough reason to perpetuate negative stereotypes. If you think it is, then maybe you should reevaluate yourself.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

CaptainExplosion said:
S.Peelman said:
Wow I was so completely right over ten years ago I should get a statue.

This is not necessarily about the topic of this thread but it’s proof once again. Social Media is evil. Completely and utterly evil. Facebook and Twitter have made the world worse. Way, way, worse.

Well what do you want us to do, get a DDOS attack done on them?

If you can, then sure.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Oh good, Nintendo is removing the feather. Definitely the right move as far as I can tell.

Another win for social progress. Good job, Nintendo; I love that you're willing to see that such things ARE offensive and that, while they may have been okay 30 years ago there's no reason to perpetuate it today. And no, 'adherence to tradition' is not a good enough reason to perpetuate negative stereotypes. If you think it is, then maybe you should reevaluate yourself.

Do you get upset when a Roman fighter is depicted with a laurel wreath around their head?  Is that offensive?

These special snowflakes never cease to amaze me.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Runa216 said:

okay, but ask yourself, really dig deep here on this one- was the sprite actually a perpetuation of a negative stereotype, or does it just resemble a Native American? was the point of this reference to poke fun at Native Americans, or was it just meant to reference one of Nintendo's oldest games? did removing the feather actually reduce the amount of racism in the world? and are you aware that in Japan, racism basically does not even exist to a point where many dont even understand the concept of it?

and now really, REALLY dig deep on this one- could you actually foresee any impressionable child or teen playing Super Smash Bros Ultimate and then developing a negative view of Native Americans based on two frames of animation that vaguely resemble a man wearing a Native headdress?

if you answered yes to any of these, you need a reality check. there are more pressing matters, more urgent issues, better things in general to complain about that this. direct that energy you have into something more than this, that could actually make a difference. because updating Mr. Game & Watch's animation didnt do that

thegamerpad said:
Runa216 said:

Do you get upset when a Roman fighter is depicted with a laurel wreath around their head?  Is that offensive?

That is a silly argument. At no point did he say he was upset by it.

Also, if people are offended that (your example), especially Romans (or even Italians), then who would I be to tell them they are incorrect to be upset over something they feel misrepresents their culture or values? The bigger question would be, "should I be upset that people are upset over something that they find offensive" because not everything on Earth will offend me. But that does not mean other people that are offended should be ignored because I am not offended.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

thegamerpad said:
Runa216 said:

Nope, but I wasn't upset or offended over this Game and Watch thing either. I just think that the world really should be progressing  and leaving racist stereotypes in the past where they belong. I wouldn't have been upset if they left the feather in, either; after all, it would be accurate to Game and Watch's original portrayal. However, given the modern climate it just made more sense to not put something like that in the game and I see no benefit to maintaining the old imagery. 

Balancing things out, there's a lot more good to be had by changing and adapting than slavishly adhering to old, frankly offensive material. What good could possibly be had by maintaining the offensive material? This isn;t a game ABOUT native americans, nor is it meant to make any sort of point about representation of media, so what good could keeping it do aside from appeasing to a small group of vocal traditionalists? 

Tell me, what's more important: adherence to tradition while also showing racist caricatures or, you know, not perpetuating negative stereotypes in a game that's meant to be enjoyed by everyone. it is rated E, after all.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android