By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - People Worked Up Over Mr. Game N Watch

irstupid said:
Runa216 said:
Oh good, Nintendo is removing the feather. Definitely the right move as far as I can tell.

Another win for social progress. Good job, Nintendo; I love that you're willing to see that such things ARE offensive and that, while they may have been okay 30 years ago there's no reason to perpetuate it today. And no, 'adherence to tradition' is not a good enough reason to perpetuate negative stereotypes. If you think it is, then maybe you should reevaluate yourself.

While this is a video game character, I hardly care.

BUT, this is just a slippery slope it seems. I mean we are tearing down statues, renaming buildings, ect. While I'm no confederate fan, I'm worried that our social justice is just another way of us rewriting history to show that we never did anything bad.

You know how the winner writes history how they want it. That is what I'm afraid of. Our children will never know that there is such a thing as the holocaust or the civil war or racism, because in order to protect on anothers feelings we hide it from them or erase it from history.

Slippery slope? Rewrite history? Well, Germany tore down every statue of Hitler yet we all seem to know Germany's history. It is a fake argument and you know it. Not to mention, the same people that tell blacks in America to, "get over slavery" are often the same people worshiping slave owners and traitors to everything America represents (or supposedly) today. I may sound like an idealist here but I do believe it is possible to preserve history without statues and building names. I am not seeing the hyperbolic situation you speak of actually playing out in basic practice.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network
twintail said:
Cucumberry said:
Being Australian I don’t know how how offensive this is to the Native American people, if it is then it’s just a minor aesthetically change that hurts nobody and appeases some so no harm. Though with my limited knowledge and thus ignorance of the situation I find it no more offensive than a cave man with a club, an old English knight in a suit of armour, Samaria attire, togas, kilts or boomerangs. It’s just cultural history, right? If he turned red in the animation I could understand and would openly push for removing it. Anyways, it doesn’t change the game and if it was removed prior to footage being shown then it wouldn’t matter. Again, Australian and could be missing a sensitive issue here so feel free to correct me :)

Because its not the image itself but the context behind it. Imagine if a 1982 game had a scenario where Aborigines were enemies, and they were attacking a colonialist outpost, thus highlighting the indigenous group of Australia as savages, bad guys, and the colonizers were the hero/ good guys? Would you consider representation of that game highlighting the indigenous as savages as ok in the current climate of Australia?

couchmonkey said:

What I find hilarious is the source that I will not name is after Smash, when something like Street Fighter is entirely built on racial stereotypes.

SF was originally yeah. But the more modern variations have toned down a bit. Besides, there is a difference between stereotyping a race/ culture, and stereotyping them in a racist manner based on a dark history that mistreated said group in a negative light. Besides Blanka, you are getting very little of that in SF as it stands.

dx11332sega said:

Holding a torch is racist individuals complaining for nothing.Theres italians when it comes to super mario or india when it comes to dhalsims or Rashid in street fighter 5 and his turbin on his head which is equilevant of native american feather on head where did this person come from?

Your Mario and SF examples are not remotely the same thing. Stereotyping is not inherently racist.

How do we draw the line between character design stereotyping and character design racism? I'm not challenging you, it's just a question. And I'm not talking about game's plot, just design.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

irstupid said:
Runa216 said:
Oh good, Nintendo is removing the feather. Definitely the right move as far as I can tell.

Another win for social progress. Good job, Nintendo; I love that you're willing to see that such things ARE offensive and that, while they may have been okay 30 years ago there's no reason to perpetuate it today. And no, 'adherence to tradition' is not a good enough reason to perpetuate negative stereotypes. If you think it is, then maybe you should reevaluate yourself.

While this is a video game character, I hardly care.

BUT, this is just a slippery slope it seems. I mean we are tearing down statues, renaming buildings, ect. While I'm no confederate fan, I'm worried that our social justice is just another way of us rewriting history to show that we never did anything bad.

You know how the winner writes history how they want it. That is what I'm afraid of. Our children will never know that there is such a thing as the holocaust or the civil war or racism, because in order to protect on anothers feelings we hide it from them or erase it from history.

We are well aware that the holocaust happened, yet there are no statues to glorify the people who perpetrated it.  

Slarvax said:

Hm. I guess Nintendo are also idiots worked up over G&W.

They already changed this back in 2002

Everyone seems to be ignoring that Nintendo already made this change 16 years ago.  So I am going to quote this post.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)