By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Chart showing how much PS and Xbox consoles cut price after 5 years

LiquorandGunFun said:
i see another price cut for xb1 and ps4 coming up as the next gen gets closer. not including black friday coming soon.

I've been expecting one for a while. I suspect what's happening is MS and Sony aren't pressuring each other, while the Switch is $300. So they're just happy to be making a profit.

If either does a price, the other would just do the same. Thus lowering profit and keeping competition equal really. This is why people should just wait for random deals or Black Friday.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

I think it's truly incredible Sony are selling their console for just 25% "less then launch price 5 years later. I'd say the profit margin per sale is insane. 

Hmm, quite interesting. Seems like price drops became less strong over time. And that the more expensive competition drops fast to match the competitor.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Kerotan said:

I think it's truly incredible Sony are selling their console for just 25% "less then launch price 5 years later. I'd say the profit margin per sale is insane. 

Hmm, quite interesting. Seems like price drops became less strong over time. And that the more expensive competition drops fast to match the competitor.

Not sure this chart is accurate anyway. MS are selling the X1S for 239,- including F4, RDR2 and a 30 Euro Live card where I live (Germany).

Shadow1980 said:

I haven't updated Xbox pricing data, but here's a different chart showing inflation-adjusted PlayStation price trajectories over their first six years:

The PS4 is as of September 2018 more expensive than any other PlayStation system was by their respective fifth September. The PS1 was the least expensive overall through most of its life, the PS3 was the most expensive through most of its life, and the PS4 started off on par with the PS2 and has spent most of the past four years between the PS2 and PS3. The PS4 has also received the shallowest and fewest permanent price cuts. Historical precedent suggests that if we do get another permanent price cut for the PS4 Slim, it will be down to $250 at most. While some have speculated a $200 price point, historical data makes me skeptical that we'll see a price cut that deep this late in the system's life. I think $250 for the Slim and $350 for the Pro are the likely final price points for the PS4 before the PS5 debuts, assuming either one gets a permanent price drop.

I've noticed that over the years, the price on software drops faster and faster, especially used games at Gamestop.  However, new games drop to $40 then $20 just after a few months.  They may have to keep hardware prices up longer to compensate the lower profit on software.  I was surprised how long it took the PS3 price to come down, and I am even more surprised how hesitant they are to drop the PS4 price.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Shadow1980 said:

I haven't updated Xbox pricing data, but here's a different chart showing inflation-adjusted PlayStation price trajectories over their first six years:

The PS4 is as of September 2018 more expensive than any other PlayStation system was by their respective fifth September. The PS1 was the least expensive overall through most of its life, the PS3 was the most expensive through most of its life, and the PS4 started off on par with the PS2 and has spent most of the past four years between the PS2 and PS3. The PS4 has also received the shallowest and fewest permanent price cuts. Historical precedent suggests that if we do get another permanent price cut for the PS4 Slim, it will be down to $250 at most. While some have speculated a $200 price point, historical data makes me skeptical that we'll see a price cut that deep this late in the system's life. I think $250 for the Slim and $350 for the Pro are the likely final price points for the PS4 before the PS5 debuts, assuming either one gets a permanent price drop.

I've noticed that over the years, the price on software drops faster and faster, especially used games at Gamestop.  However, new games drop to $40 then $20 just after a few months.  They may have to keep hardware prices up longer to compensate the lower profit on software.  I was surprised how long it took the PS3 price to come down, and I am even more surprised how hesitant they are to drop the PS4 price.

I have found in mzy area (Ab, Canada) that retailers have become a lot tougher, games disappear off the shelves instead of getting endkess discounts. I feel like Wii/ HD twins wass peak discount time...but maybe that is just here?

As for HW prices, I don't know if Nintendo, Sony or MS get lower "cuts" just because the games are discounted...seems unlikely. But true for first party sw, for sure. I wonder if Satoru Iwata has had anything to do with it? He noted that GameCube got only a small temporary boost fromthe 99 price cut, and I think he correctly identifiied that increasing value with great games is better than price cuts.  Definitely influential on Nintendo pricing, maybe leaked over to the competition?

Around the Network
couchmonkey said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I have found in mzy area (Ab, Canada) that retailers have become a lot tougher, games disappear off the shelves instead of getting endkess discounts. I feel like Wii/ HD twins wass peak discount time...but maybe that is just here?

As for HW prices, I don't know if Nintendo, Sony or MS get lower "cuts" just because the games are discounted...seems unlikely. But true for first party sw, for sure. I wonder if Satoru Iwata has had anything to do with it? He noted that GameCube got only a small temporary boost fromthe 99 price cut, and I think he correctly identifiied that increasing value with great games is better than price cuts.  Definitely influential on Nintendo pricing, maybe leaked over to the competition?

Good points. 

I live in the US and here I see software prices drop fast, especially at Gamestop.  It's common now to see a new game go from $60 to $40 in about 3 months or so, and sometimes it gets down to $20 before the year is over.  This is for PS4 and XB1 games.  Nintendo games drop their prices much slower, especially the first party games.

I do think software has some influence over price cuts.  In the past, home consoles would drop in price quickly while handhelds got fewer price cuts (and still do in fact).  Handheld consoles have a lower tie ratio, so they can't afford to cut the price on a handheld device as much.  They need to make a little money on the handheld hardware, because they aren't making as much on the software.

Another factor on hardware price, for Sony at least, could just be adjusting to the competition.  When they released the PS1 and PS2, they were competing with Nintendo and Sega and making consoles of similar power (with Sony tending toward the weaker end).  Sony didn't have the experience in making games at the time that these two established game companies had, but they had a lot more capital.  The main way they could compete is keeping their hardware price low.  This included frequent price cuts.

Nowadays, things are very different for Sony.  Sega is gone from the hardware side, and Nintendo is intentionally making the weaker console.  Instead Microsoft is the company with the deepest pockets and the least game making experience.  So they need to make sure their game library is consistently better than Microsoft's, since hardware power is going to be similar.  So now price cuts are less important for Sony, but investing in their first party lineup has become more important.

Errorist76 said:
Mnementh said:

Not sure this chart is accurate anyway. MS are selling the X1S for 239,- including F4, RDR2 and a 30 Euro Live card where I live (Germany).

Bought my Xbox One (without Kinect) in May 2015 (so 1.5 years after launch) for €256 (shipping & taxes included).

Errorist76 said:

The Xbox1S could have been bought for an average 249.- for the entire year now (those are end prices for bundles with 3-4 games and a Live card). Sometimes the cheapest bundle was 199.-. Meanwhile, Sony increased the list price to 329.- from 299.- for the plain box (end of old ram deal?). t seems MS has to sell its console at a significant loss to actually sell it outside the States (though the average bundle price has also increased in the past weeks, but is still way, way, way lower than for the PS4)

shikamaru317 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I don’t get the numbers on the chart for PS4 or Xbone, there are popular SKUs at less than $300 for both of them. PS4 has a 500GB version for like $260 or $270. Xbone S has been $260 or $280 for awhile now. Hell I think now you can get them for $250.

The chart is showing official MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) for the consoles from what I can tell. The XB1 and PS4 SKU's you see that are selling for less than $300 right now are mainly discontinued SKU's or SKU's that are discounted temporarily by the retailer. The official price for both XB1 S and PS4 Slim right now is $300. Hopefully Sony and MS both officially drop to $250 or $200 soon. 

As someone else said, these 500GB consoles are still very popular and in stock and have been selling for less than $300 for months. And as others have pointed out, Xbone has been less than that price for awhile now too.

Hell when I saw this thread and checked Sonys own website they still were linking to Walmart and the 500GB SKU.

Shadow1980 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I still contend that price cuts being fewer in number and lesser in degree than they were in Gen 6 & earlier is why PlayStation & Xbox systems are able to run on longer generations than the previous norms. Last generation it appears to be the culprit behind slow growth and delayed peaks. Essentially, last generation was as long as it was on purpose, and probably for good reason (imagine how much weaker the PS4 & XBO would have been at $400 had they launched in, say, 2011).

This generation, it's basically been keeping non-holiday sales steady, but not producing any clear longer-term growth, with official short-term holiday price cuts diverting a larger portion of sales towards Q4 than in prior generations. Outside of Nintendo systems, you don't see the early peaks you used to anymore, and it remains to be seen if even Nintendo will still run on shorter gens than Sony & MS, or if they too will attempt to put the Switch's sales on a PS/Xbox-style "slow burn" sales trajectory.

Yeah, I think this is a factor too.  There are several factors. 

Although I'm still not convinced Sony will release the PS5 after 2019.  One reason that the last generation was so long was because Sony backed themselves into a corner by making the PS3 so powerful (and consequently really expensive).  IIRC correctly, the PS3 came down to $400 in 2008.  So that is only a 5 year gap between the PS3 at $400 and PS4 launch of $400 in 2013.  Once you account for the huge price of the PS3, it actually didn't take them an unusually long time to release PS4.  The unusual part was actually the high power of the PS3 when it was first released.