By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Chart showing how much PS and Xbox consoles cut price after 5 years

Think these charts are a little skewed - as Microsoft usually bundles in multiple games, controllers, game passes, etc. with their bundle deals - practically giving the system away for free. I half expect xbox one's to be sent for free in the mail in the near future along with free samples of Tide.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Signalstar said:
The PS1 at $50 is a better deal than the PS Classic at $100.

A used PS3 is a better PS Classic.

Or just emulate them in glorious 4K.

I still have my original fat Full BC 60GB PS3. I think it's the best piece of gaming hardware ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I don’t get the numbers on the chart for PS4 or Xbone, there are popular SKUs at less than $300 for both of them. PS4 has a 500GB version for like $260 or $270. Xbone S has been $260 or $280 for awhile now. Hell I think now you can get them for $250.

How many units do we think that PlayStation or Xbox sell at the full retail price? I'm betting that after one year on the market, about half of the units are sold below whatever the current MSRP is. A massive number of systems sell over Black Friday weekend, which always has console deals (sometimes excluding the Black Friday immediately after a system's launch). Then there are periodic sales throughout the year, and a whole bunch more during the rest of the holiday season.

LudicrousSpeed said:

I don’t get the numbers on the chart for PS4 or Xbone, there are popular SKUs at less than $300 for both of them. PS4 has a 500GB version for like $260 or $270. Xbone S has been $260 or $280 for awhile now. Hell I think now you can get them for $250.

I believe the 500 GB model has been discontinued.

Around the Network
Kerotan said: 

I think it's truly incredible Sony are selling their console for just 25% "less then launch price 5 years later. I'd say the profit margin per sale is insane. 

It really isn't. Hardware prices were absolutely nuts in these last couple years. The manufacturers simply didn't have too much room for price reductions. I'm sure Sony is earning good money with the PS4 hardware, but probably less than most people would imagine.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Mr Puggsly said:
Signalstar said:

A used PS3 is a better PS Classic.

Or just emulate them in glorious 4K.

Yeah ps3 is the way to go. With an eu and usa account because not all ps1 games came to both stores. 

Megiddo said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I believe the 500 GB model has been discontinued.

But it still exists, my local retailers usually have more 500gb stock than they do 1tb.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Signalstar said:

That's if the games were free

i see another price cut for xb1 and ps4 coming up as the next gen gets closer. not including black friday coming soon.