By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 rumors so far

What stands out the most to you?

Improved VR, Motion Playe... 5 17.24%

Backwards Compatability w... 19 65.52%

125 GB Discs = able to co... 5 17.24%

Total:29

I don't believe the disc capacity rumor, though I'd like to see their next approach for game capacity. There will be no doubt that digital games will be a massive focus this next gen, so I believe Sony will keep using the same Blu-ray discs, inevitably increasing the chances for 2 disc games and promoting the convenience for digital games. We'll have to see if their infrastructure will be ready for the increasing demand.

What I'm more interested on is on the backwards compatibility, which is what many PS console owners would like to have. This is crucial for Sony to listen, if that's what they really want to do lately.

Around the Network

Backwards compatibility is surely coming, and maybe PS2 - PS3 emulation. Games will claim to be 4K but most will likely be on the 1440 - 1800p range. They will also be VR compatible, perhaps with some motion controls.

Everything else is too uncertain to even speculate, the console's probably two years away yet.

Hopefully they bring BC back.

It's be weird buying a new GPU and not being able to play your old games anymore.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that VR is going to be "hugely popular" in two years or less when PS5 launches. PS VR sales are actuallly down year on year, and it's only in year 2. Oculus has cancelled the Rift 2 and is focusing on cheaper, self contained solutions. HTC just replaced the Vive with the Vive Pro which costs $1100 for the headset, controllers and sensors.

Even at it's peak, less than 5% of Playstation 4 owners have bought a PSVR. That's not exactly the kind of numbers that would encourage me to incorporate VR-specific integration in my next console, considering it's more likely than not that most PS5 users won't ever use it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sony scraps VR entirely with the PS5 and only offers backwards compatibility with the current PSVR headset.

Qwark said:
99GB ultra hd blu ray discs seem more likely than 125gb discs. If physical media still exists bij then.

Cd music is still being sold.  Many people can’t download 100gb games.  Physical media in gaming isn’t going anywhere.  Besides more people still buy physical than digital on consoles

I am Iron Man

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
I'm not sure why everyone thinks that VR is going to be "hugely popular" in two years or less when PS5 launches. PS VR sales are actuallly down year on year, and it's only in year 2. Oculus has cancelled the Rift 2 and is focusing on cheaper, self contained solutions. HTC just replaced the Vive with the Vive Pro which costs $1100 for the headset, controllers and sensors.

Even at it's peak, less than 5% of Playstation 4 owners have bought a PSVR. That's not exactly the kind of numbers that would encourage me to incorporate VR-specific integration in my next console, considering it's more likely than not that most PS5 users won't ever use it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sony scraps VR entirely with the PS5 and only offers backwards compatibility with the current PSVR headset.

I doubt it will be hugely popular, but I do think it will be something Sony still pursues.  It definitely won't be a large focus, but I have no doubt that they will release an updated VR headset for the PS5.  And while they may not focus on exclusives for it, I think they will pursue more mainstream game having optional support for it.

I wouldn't say sales have dropped.  In mid-Feb, 4 months after launch, it had sold ~915K.  It took it until early June, another 3 1/2 months, to sell another ~100K.  By early Dec, an additional 6 months, it had hit 2M.  Even if you are generous and say that PSVR sold 30% of that ~915K in Jan and early Feb, that means that in 2017, the PS VR sold ~1.37M units.  The PSVR has already sold 1M this year, as of mid-August.  I have little doubt that it can pull off another 900K-1M for the remaining 4 1/2 months, with two of those months being heavy holiday shopping months. That would be an increase of 38%-46%. 

I also doubt that it will stay at 5% of PS4 sales.  Unless you think the PS VR is only going to sell ~6M units total.  Personally, I think it will be closer to 10M.  Of course, the HW sales are only one part of it.  The SW is a much more important part.  From Dec of last year to August of this year, total SW sales for the PSVR rose 80%, from 12.2M to 21.9M.  So for the entire year, they are going to more than double, most likely hitting 30M-40M.  That's nothing to sneeze at. 

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

Qwark said:
99GB ultra hd blu ray discs seem more likely than 125gb discs. If physical media still exists bij then.

Cd music is still being sold.  Many people can’t download 100gb games.  Physical media in gaming isn’t going anywhere.  Besides more people still buy physical than digital on consoles

Yea, it amazes me how many people actually think physical media will be gone within the next 5-10 years.  CDs have been around for more than 40 years.  DVDs more than 30 years.  We still have decades worth of physical media.  Sure, digital will edge ever closer to 50%, but until every single stretch of land has high speed internet, 100GB games all being bought digitally just isn't happening.  Hell, I don't live that far off of a major highway, but my only option for high speed internet is through my cell phone provider or expensive satellite internet, the latter not being well suited for online gaming.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 25 October 2018

I'm only saying BC because the first 18 months of a new consoles life suck. There is usually a draught of games and you end up buying things out of desperation you normally wouldn't. BC will help with fill that initial void.

twintail said:
This blu ray rumour is so stupid.

It's literally just a wild guess.

All of these rumors are just guesses.

Sony i want a 4k bluray player function on the ps5 cmon

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

asqarkabab said:
Sony i want a 4k bluray player function on the ps5 cmon

I think they will... they didn't for the pro just because its a mid step and why take something away from the PS5 to put it in a mid step console. So I'd expect them to be aiming it at a better 4k machine and for it to do that it needs to have a 4k drive (and looking at current games) going to need to be 100gb at least.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!