By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RDR2 Reviews! Metacritic - 97(PS4)/97(XBO) / Opencritic - 97

What's your score prediction?

96 above 47 47.47%

91-95 43 43.43%

86-90 6 6.06%

81-85 0 0%

80 below 3 3.03%

Total:99
Sunstrider said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

This generation there hasn't been a single game that was close to perfection for me. It's really disappointing .. not so much because of the lack of quality of these hyped up games, but because I'm always conflicted on how I feel about them. I agree with you that the mission design is outdated, but, the controls and mechanics in the game actually got less annoying for me as it went on. And do my complaints of the game stop it from being a masterpiece? I honestly don't know. 

I felt the same way about BOTW, Horizon, Odyssey (although that one is more definitely just "I think this is overrated"). Seems like every new "masterpiece" is just so imperfect and it makes me second guess my opinions all the time, which I already do, it drives me insane. 

One man's trash is another man's treasure, no need to be disappointed if you've enjoyed a game, you really don't have to overthink things, there is no such thing as a perfect game.

Ehh ... you're right but I've been conflicted like that for years for just about any piece of entertainment. Which is why it's amazing when that rare near-perfect product (for my palette) comes along (Coen Brother movies). But most of the time I see people write negative things and I'm like "fuck, he's right ya know, now I gotta re-evaluate my opinion" and then I see someone write the opposite and i'm like "fuck ... that's equally true". 

Right now the RDR2 opinions thread has a lot of very valid complaints about the game ... but I'm still very impressed with it considering GTA4/RDR1/GTAV just weren't that good (moreso the GTAs than RDR1). 

Also I've long accepted that perfect products don't exist, just as objectivity doesn't. Still there are quite a few products I've experienced that might as well be perfect, it's just so rare.

Runa216 said:

This generation there hasn't been a single game that was close to perfection for me. It's really disappointing .. not so much because of the lack of quality of these hyped up games, but because I'm always conflicted on how I feel about them. I agree with you that the mission design is outdated, but, the controls and mechanics in the game actually got less annoying for me as it went on. And do my complaints of the game stop it from being a masterpiece? I honestly don't know. 

I felt the same way about BOTW, Horizon, Odyssey (although that one is more definitely just "I think this is overrated"). Seems like every new "masterpiece" is just so imperfect and it makes me second guess my opinions all the time, which I already do, it drives me insane. 

I think it's less about the game's quality and more about an internal kickback because you don't think it's AS good as people say. Does BOTW and God of War and Horizon have problems? Sure they do, but those problems are quite minute compared to the vast amount of things they do well or outstanding. 

And the funny thing is, I don't even like Horizon Zero Dawn, I'm not interested in Spider-Man, and so far Red Dead Redemption hasn't grabbed my attention (it's been in my PS4 for a week and I haven't played it in five days), but that doesn't mean these games are bad, they're just not for me. Red Dead Redemption is clearly meant to be more of an immersive simulator with a great story than a 'gamey' game, and that's fine. For what it's trying to do it succeeded nearly perfectly but some people (myself included) didn't find its clunky control and movement engaging enough; it erred on the side of realism when some of us wanted a gamey game. 

And that's fine. 

That's especially true and what I was trying to get at. It's really more of an annoyance with myself than anything. It's not like I think BOTW is a 94 though and am obsessing over the small differences. It's that grey area of thinking which makes my brain hurt ... trying to evaluate how you feel about something, even worse when you want to score it, which is probably a partial reason why number scores are kind of bad anywyas. 

There's just never a clear path and I have to overthink things. But for what it's worth, I was very pleasantly surprised by Spider-Man, RDR2, and GOW2018 ... even if  they all have al ot of flaws and none of them I'd call absolutely amazing. 

Around the Network
Sunstrider said:

One man's trash is another man's treasure, no need to be disappointed if you've enjoyed a game, you really don't have to overthink things, there is no such thing as a perfect game.

Ehh ... you're right but I've been conflicted like that for years for just about any piece of entertainment. Which is why it's amazing when that rare near-perfect product (for my palette) comes along (Coen Brother movies). But most of the time I see people write negative things and I'm like "fuck, he's right ya know, now I gotta re-evaluate my opinion" and then I see someone write the opposite and i'm like "fuck ... that's equally true". 

Right now the RDR2 opinions thread has a lot of very valid complaints about the game ... but I'm still very impressed with it considering GTA4/RDR1/GTAV just weren't that good (moreso the GTAs than RDR1). 

Also I've long accepted that perfect products don't exist, just as objectivity doesn't. Still there are quite a few products I've experienced that might as well be perfect, it's just so rare.

Runa216 said:

I think it's less about the game's quality and more about an internal kickback because you don't think it's AS good as people say. Does BOTW and God of War and Horizon have problems? Sure they do, but those problems are quite minute compared to the vast amount of things they do well or outstanding. 

And the funny thing is, I don't even like Horizon Zero Dawn, I'm not interested in Spider-Man, and so far Red Dead Redemption hasn't grabbed my attention (it's been in my PS4 for a week and I haven't played it in five days), but that doesn't mean these games are bad, they're just not for me. Red Dead Redemption is clearly meant to be more of an immersive simulator with a great story than a 'gamey' game, and that's fine. For what it's trying to do it succeeded nearly perfectly but some people (myself included) didn't find its clunky control and movement engaging enough; it erred on the side of realism when some of us wanted a gamey game. 

And that's fine. 

That's especially true and what I was trying to get at. It's really more of an annoyance with myself than anything. It's not like I think BOTW is a 94 though and am obsessing over the small differences. It's that grey area of thinking which makes my brain hurt ... trying to evaluate how you feel about something, even worse when you want to score it, which is probably a partial reason why number scores are kind of bad anywyas. 

There's just never a clear path and I have to overthink things. But for what it's worth, I was very pleasantly surprised by Spider-Man, RDR2, and GOW2018 ... even if  they all have al ot of flaws and none of them I'd call absolutely amazing. 

Oh, I was totally agreeing with you, not arguing with you. 

And I found that the road to being content with things you don't like is a long and difficult one to travel but it really helps when you're in this position. Like you, I'm not super into Red Dead (At least not yet, that might change) and there are games I think are sorely overrated but my positive outlook has led me to focus more on what a game does good than what it does that doesn't work for me. For example, I agree with Red Dead's score due to all the things it did right even if the few things it did wrong make it unpleasant for me to play. At least for now. 

I think the key is optimism. Works for me, anyway. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

pikashoe said:
Nate4Drake said:

It doesn't matter, and they are different games, mostly from a technical point of view; we shouldn't even compare them.  

I agree with you. They are too different to really compare. I was just saying this for the people that are trying to compare them.

RDR 2 is out on ps4 and xbox, that's why it doesn't have as much reviews as zelda, if you combine different reviews it already has more reviews then zelda.

EDGE: 10/10

RDR2 Metacritic is still 97 and it's now the fourth highest 97, which is weird because it was third couple weeks ago and after that it has received only 10s or 100s. EDGE's score probably should have already raised it to 98 so I am not sure what's going on. But RDR2 is now officially the highest rated game of this generation. Deserved. Best game I've played.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

woaah - thats a surprise in my opinion. but..

i dont like the magazine "edge". They often give high quality games only 6-7 points and have sometimes ridiculous (subjective) reasons.

Around the Network
KazumaKiryu said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

i dont like the magazine "edge". They often give high quality games only 6-7 points and have sometimes ridiculous (subjective) reasons.

Yeah, EDGE is the "clickbait site" of gaming magazines.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
KazumaKiryu said:

Yeah, EDGE is the "clickbait site" of gaming magazines.

It just means they either didn't have the balls to give RDR2 a low review or R* paid them enough. They've given some absolute classics really low scores. 

John2290 said:
MichaelDeSanta said:

There's a far greater gap in resolution between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X than there is between the base PS4 and base Xbox One. 

You can down play it all you want but it's a vastly superior experience in both resolution AND frame rate on the X1X.

I'm new here but you seem to be in EVERY thread down playing Xbox and praising Sony... It's kind of strange how attached you are to the PlayStation brand and the lengths you go to defend it.

"Vastly superior experience". Thanks for the laugh. 

A better way to phrase it would be it's slightly better but not a slightly better experience, just slightly better. It's the same as saying GTA5 was vastly better experience on ps4 than ps3 or vastly better experience Xbox 1 than x360 and having played all but the x1 version I can definetively say even with first person mode and the doubled FPS along with all the improvments it was just slightly better. Not a better experience just slightly better. The x1x version is slightly better to a much smaller degree (MUCH smaller than that example), one that is not noticeable unless you put them side by side. 

Again, thank you for the chuckle. 

Top class response. GG. 

John2290 said:
MichaelDeSanta said:

There's a far greater gap in resolution between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X than there is between the base PS4 and base Xbox One. 

You can down play it all you want but it's a vastly superior experience in both resolution AND frame rate on the X1X.

I'm new here but you seem to be in EVERY thread down playing Xbox and praising Sony... It's kind of strange how attached you are to the PlayStation brand and the lengths you go to defend it.

"Vastly superior experience". Thanks for the laugh. 

A better way to phrase it would be it's slightly better but not a slightly better experience, just slightly better. It's the same as saying GTA5 was vastly better experience on ps4 than ps3 or vastly better experience Xbox 1 than x360 and having played all but the x1 version I can definetively say even with first person mode and the doubled FPS along with all the improvments it was just slightly better. Not a better experience just slightly better. The x1x version is slightly better to a much smaller degree (MUCH smaller than that example), one that is not noticeable unless you put them side by side. 

Again, thank you for the chuckle. 

100% true. 

Graphics have gotten so good that I don't think there's anywhere to go outside of VR/Hologram play. I know we said 20 years ago that some games looked 'photorealistic', but we knew that was just a phrase meaning it imitated life well; nobody actually thought Snake looked like a real person. 

But now? We have Ellie and Joel and Arthur Morgan and Nathan Drake and various other characters that look so close to real that there's not really much of a point in focusing more effort on graphics. All we can do now is work on framerate, performance, optimization, and resolution. Even then, the difference between HD and UHD isn't that much of a difference. Much like the shift from DVD to Blu-Ray, the difference isn't that big. It's there, you can see it, but I wouldn't say that it enhances the experience. 

I'd be happy if we had the PS4/Switch/Xbox One forever but I know that won't happen. Then again, two of my top 5 favorite games this year have been Octopath Traveler and Mega Man 11, so what do I know about graphical fidelity? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
OTBWY said:
Playing the game now. While I enjoy it a LOT, I agree with Gamerankings. MO and BotW are above it still. BotW is still the GotG.

But since Metacritic has more reviews, and RDR2 is above BotW and Mario Odyssey according to Metacritic, it makes RDR2 universally the better game. The score-difference between these games in Gamerankings is also only a couple decimals (0,3-0, 4) so it's not enough to compensate.

Everyone of course has his own opinion, but facts are facts.

It's been some time, but I feel this post is relevant so pardon the necro.

Seems new data from Metacritic came out:

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/621964-metacritic-top-rated-games-of-the-decade

Since you were in the decimal game, here's from the people you relied on themselves.