By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - NSFW Discussion - Are most guys too ugly for online dating?

Just start working out and eating super clean until you get solid muscle definition after 1-2 years.

Around the Network

I met my wife on okcupid about 5 years ago now and if I were to give any pointers it would be to send messages that show you actually read their profile. The dates that I got on that site were because I showed interest in their hobbies and tried to ask relevant questions about them (like talking about being a teacher if that's their career goal). It takes longer to send those kind of messages, but if you don't put in the time to present something beyond your profile and a "hey" then you can't be too mad if you're judged on superficial bases. I still didn't get messages from probably 95% of those I sent to, but then you have to recognize that women are inundated with messages so if you don't write something that stands out in some way then you shouldn't be surprised if she doesn't have time to respond to every single message. Think of it like sending out job applications, everyone sends out many more applications than they get jobs and gets rejected over and over again but you only need to succeed once.

Maybe you just have bad experience with women. 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

My personal experience after multiple(!) years trying online dating on different sites:

90% no reply at all
5% not interested from the very beginning, but at least send an reply: Hi, thank you for your message, but ...
5% reply and chat started

of the 5% who I had started chatting with:
4% not interested anymore after some messages
1% say OK for having a date

of the 1% I had a date with:
0,9% did not wanted to see me again
0,1% did not came to the date and did never ever replied to messages

Of course these values are only kinda "estimated", but trust me: I have texted many women... I dont text all women by default, e.g. not when I cant notice any common things or when they are having an almost empty profil, but still... lot of messages had been written without any success.

Thats only my personal experience, but still this is depressing...

Biggest problem maybe is that I am "only" average looking, but I dont really know if it is really THE problem.
Maybe I had wrote too much (yeah, I really like writing) text at some point (does that scare women?^^), but i would never ever just text women like "Hi, how are you?" or such stuff.
I am always referring to profile text and pictures. I am asking questions, telling from myself, trying to put a bit humor into my messages and whatnot.

I've read somewhere that data from dating apps shows that women find 80% of men "below average" and that makes them way more picky than men on these apps. Hypergamy is real

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network

I'm not handsome. Worked for me. Married 10 years.

Most guys are too ugly because they don't even try to look good. Stop wearing T-Shirts and Jeans and get yourself a nice suit. Start caring about how you look. If you put some effort into it, you'll look better than 90 % of guys in no time. But stop whining and shit. That's totally not sexy. Just work on yourself and keep trying, you'll have success sooner or later.

I'm not the most beautiful person in the world, nor am I all that smart or anything. I'm average at best. But I never had any problems with getting a girlfriend or a one-night-stand or something. Then again, I never did online dating... =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

curl-6 said:

I cannot say I share the OP's view of women, (in fact, I can say with certainty that I do not) but I've found online dating to be unhelpful to put it mildly.

On Tinder alone, over the past two years, I have used my 100 free right swipes every day; that's over 70,000 women. Of those, I got 10 matches, so my match rate is 1 in 7000. Of those 10, none went anywhere, most either never responded to messages or soon stopped responding.

Add Plenty of Fish, Bumble, OKCupid, and Coffee Meet Bagel, and I've messaged/right swiped literally hundreds of thousands of women over the past four years, and apparently I don't meet the standards of any of them.

It is disheartening, but the unfortunate truth is that courtship is a competitive arena, and in any competition there are losers.

Holy shit, for real? You have put that much time and effort into meeting someone online and it still hasn't worked out for you? Every single day 100 swipes?

On a side note:

I feel like there are a lot of negative responses about women in this thread. Honestly, reading these posts makes me feel sort of good about myself, in a way that makes me feel bad about myself for feeling good about myself. I met my girlfriend (now wife) in college, and we've been together ever since (maybe 11 or 12 years?)

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

Unless you are super rich, handsome, top 10% of looks, you are wasting your time on a dating site? 90% of guys that struggle on dating sites are rejected guys. We are not worthy. Women  demand too much and have very high unrealistic expectations. Online dating is nothing more than window shopping for women with unlimited options. I am in the bottom 90% of men, the average guys that rarely get any responses. Men have to write every message and send them out. Women reject/block 90% of messages sent.

If it’s makes you feel better...I’m relatively smart, educated, pretty good looking and get a lot of interests and I’m still out of luck.

Most women have fake pictures that are 10 years or makes them appear more interesting than they really are.

Online dating sucks. 

Keep hope alive

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 10 October 2018