By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition exceeded expectations outside Japan

Article:

Koei Tecmo published a notice today, announcing that they are raising the income forecast for the second quarter of the current fiscal year. One of the reasons they stated for doing so was that Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition sold much more than they expected it to in the West.

We don’t have any concrete sales numbers for the game’s performance outside Japan, only that it hadn’t yet sold more than a million copies worldwide as of Nintendo’s last financial report on June 30th. Regardless, it seems like the game has been a success for Koei Tecmo and Nintendo.

Source 1 and 2

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

Probably didn't spend a lot of money on this version compared to the other two, so any sold on Switch was like bonus money.

The fact that this game released on both the Wii U and 3DS already.........

Pocky Lover Boy! 

According to VGChartz numbers it has the worst numbers from any major WiiU port. Captain Toad and DKC Tropical Freeze are up to reaching Wii U numbers, Hyrule Warriors sold 0.35m on Switch and 1.26m on WiiU and it's outside top 75 charts at the moment (Captain Toad and Tropical Freeze are within top 30).

Good news.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

At least they have some good news after that interesting entry for Dynasty Warriors 9.

siebensus4 said:
According to VGChartz numbers it has the worst numbers from any major WiiU port. Captain Toad and DKC Tropical Freeze are up to reaching Wii U numbers, Hyrule Warriors sold 0.35m on Switch and 1.26m on WiiU and it's outside top 75 charts at the moment (Captain Toad and Tropical Freeze are within top 30).

Well with that news, it's possible it's undertracked, but yeah I don't think it will beat Wii U version anytime soon

I enjoy it quite a lot, so it's good that others are playing it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it never breaks a million. It was on Wii U and ported to 3DS. Even though Switch is the best version doesn't mean everyone isn't already sick of it.

Acevil said:
At least they have some good news after that interesting entry for Dynasty Warriors 9.

Did Dynasty Warriors 9 bomb, even by the generally low-selling Dynasty Warriors standards (I.E, what would be a bomb  to, say, Zelda is fine for D.W)

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

KrspaceT said:
Acevil said:

Did Dynasty Warriors 9 bomb, even by the generally low-selling Dynasty Warriors standards (I.E, what would be a bomb  to, say, Zelda is fine for D.W)

The series use to be a million plus franchise, but DW9 around 700,000 shipped and will most likely not go above 800,000, unless very lucky. The reason why it is concerning even with what some might call decent shipment, is that this was whole new engine and attempt at the franchise that clearly did not pay off. 

DW previously also had very successful spin offs that did well like Empires and XL that could do about 500,000 a piece. I don't know at this stage if DW9 if that is remotely possible.